Blue 2-1 Off not "off" in dimmer mode

I’ve installed almost 40 Blue 2-1’s and haven’t had a single problem, until now.

I have some led string lights that I’ve finally got around to installing (Feit Electric 48’ LED Filament String Light Set | Costco).

They are plugged into a dedicated outlet I installed for this purpose, on a circuit protected by a GFCI outlet upstream. I understand this isn’t code compliant, but the outlet is 9’ from the floor and nobody is going to be plugging a table saw into it, and if we ever sell the house I’ll replace the dimmer with a switch. Just wanted to get that out of the way :slightly_smiling_face: as it’s not relevant to the problem.

The problem is, with the 2-1 in dimmer mode the lights do not completely turn off. They’re on very faintly but noticeable (at night). If I configure the switch in on-off mode, they do turn off completely.

Latest firmware, neutral present, all parameters set to default except for switch mode. Power shows 22.7 at level 100, 0.0 when “off”. Obviously, there must be some voltage present when in dimmer mode and the switch is “off”, and these bulbs are sensitive to it. The lights are at the same brightness when the switch is “off” as they are if the switch is on and level is set to 1.

If I set the mode to on/off, the lights turn off within a second or two. If I set the mode back to dimmer, they come back on (at level 1).

It is supposed to work this way or do I possibly have a defective switch?

BTW, using Hubitat with the latest driver.

I’d try a bypass. Even though this may be a neutral installation, it’s sometimes needed where LEDs remain illuminated in the dimmer mode.

1 Like

Thanks. Interestingly, one of the reviews for the Jasco bypass on Amazon mentions the same problem with a Inovelli Blue switch, and the bypass fixed it.

Don’t understand though, why “off” isn’t off, regardless of mode. Clearly the switch is capable of turning completely off without any leakage, so why doesn’t it do that in dimmer mode?

$10 for a bypass isn’t a big deal, but why should it be necessary at all? I understand why in a non-neutral configuration but that’s not the case here.

Dimmers and switches are designed differently. Just because they are combined into one switch doesn’t mean the switching technology works the same for each mode.

Understood and no doubt the design of the dimming circuitry works for most uses. However, the device is capable of turning the load off completely (using the relay, I assume).

Theoretically, it ought to be able to use the relay even in dimmer mode to turn the load off completely. I understand the relay click in a dimmer configuration isn’t what most people would necessarily want though and wouldn’t be a default configuration, but would be useful in cases like this (I wouldn’t mind the relay click).

If it helps, I have a string of the Feit outdoor lights (Costco ones too) connected to a regular dumb switch (feeding outlets). Prior to replacing a gfci breaker in my panel, it was fine. After replacing the breaker with a new one, I have about 7 bulbs that stay dimly lit when turned off. Been like that since and no smart switch in line. I think Feit just has crap drivers but I’ll live with the moonlighting from selected bulbs.

The second string doesn’t have any issues in the same load path. :man_shrugging:t2:

They stay lit when turned off with a dumb switch??? How is that even possible, short of a defective switch?

Yes even when the switch is off. I’m blaming it on the circuitry of the gfci and the way it monitors current between load and neutral. If the switch was defective, I’d imagine the whole string light would illuminate.

Not to belabor the point, but I don’t see how that’s possible. There has to be something else going on. If you have a dumb switch controlling the string lights, then assuming it’s wired correctly and not defective, the only path current could flow is between neutral and ground.

If this started happening when you replaced the GFCI breaker, I would treat that breaker as highly suspect. A properly functioning GFCI should never allow a difference in current to flow through the line and the neutral (within its rated detection spec), and it shouldn’t be leaking current to the neutral.

Have you measured voltages at the outlet with the dumb switch off?

If everything is ok, then I would buy as much stock in Feit as you can, because they’ve figured out how to illuminate a light without any current flow :thinking:.

I haven’t, but will. The gfci was the newer combo units AFCI/gfci/tesla wireless all-in-one ones so I wasn’t too concerned.

I thought I had a photo on my phone but I don’t. I’ll take one when I return home and show off my free energy.

Is the switch clicking in on-off mode but silent in dimmer mode?

Yes

That took care of it. I’m still a little surprised that enough power is leaking in “off” mode to illuminate 24 bulbs. Dimly, but still very visible.

If you set it to dumb 3-way it would use the relay and should shut off the lights the same as it does in on-off mode.

1 Like