Converting an outlet switch to smart bulb controller (Red Series Dimmer)

I’ve currently got a dumb switch that controls an outlet in my bedroom. I want to have dimmable lights in the room, and I know you shouldn’t control an outlet using a dimmer switch.

Can I take the wiring in the outlet box and change it so the outlet is non-switched, on 24/7, then connect the two wire running to the switch box to the Line and Neutral in the outlet box so that the wiring that is in the switch box can be used to power the smart switch. The smart switch wouldn’t have a load wire, as it wouldn’t be physically controlling anything.

The smart switch could then control smart bulbs in the room to allow dimming, and potentially also be used to control a relay for the closet light that currently has a pull chain, and possibly other scenes I come up with.

Basically this is just trying to get around having to use a battery powered switch by reusing some existing wiring as a power source.

Plan is good - I do that in at least one place at my house. Just remember that all neutrals need to stay together in the box. Well, heck, in this case, all the hots stay together too. Run pigtails from each bundle to the switch (with nothing connected to load, as you mention), and bob’s your uncle.

ETA - if you ever sell, make a note to undo this – assuming there’s not a wired ceiling fixture in this room, that switch & outlet are almost certainly set up this way to meet the requirement that a light switch be available at the room doorway. In such cases, the switch turning on a plugged-in light fixture meets this requirement.