Firmware v1.19 (Beta) | LZW30-SN | Switch - Red Series (Gen 2)

@EricM_Inovelli Has the updated driver’s manifest been updated for Hubitat Package Manager? It doesn’t see the updated driver at the moment but I see on github, the driver was updated last night.

Thanks.

I had to manually update it vice relying on the Hubitat Package Manager.

The update is now in Hubitat Package Manager:

I noticed this too, but when I excluded it and included it again the default was correct.

Yeah, will get a PR created when I get a minute.

2 Likes

I can confirm this as well. @EricM_Inovelli I’m guessing you don’t want this to be the default for newly produced devices.

Will the config for instant on be toggle-able via the config button at all?

I will verify with the manufacturer but I believe this is the default value based on when I exclude the device it has a 700ms delay and when I re-include it the value of the parameter is 1.

My guess is that the storage space for that parameter already has data in it. When you do the firmware upgrade the storage space is not written over (not sure if this should be part of the z-wave firmware process or not). When I have programmed firmware I have had to write the data upon first boot after a firmware update. Otherwise it retains whatever information was there before.

Another thing that makes me think this is that I queried the parameter after a firmware update and it returned a value of 254 or something really strange.

Thanks for getting this out guys. I downloaded immediately and flashed six switches last night.

I’m gonna have to say, I’m afraid there are some problems. FIVE of the switches were fine, but the sixth one gave me a little trouble. Immediately after I flashed the firmware, the switch jumped out of the gang box it was in, dove over to the counter across the room, and started smacking around my other non-inovelli smart switches. All the while, it was incoherently grumbling something about “the relays ARE off.” After an air gap pull, it calmed down for a bit, but then it started playing some EDM and turned all the lights to strobe mode, waking my sleeping kids.

Finally, after I objected, it called me a racial slur, gave me a good punch in the tummy, and bounced out the glass door leaving shards of chaos and broken dreams in its wake. Oh yeah, and it took my lunch money.

Did I flash the firmware incorrectly?

It switches very quickly though. My relationship with my wife has never been healthier. Nicely done.

1 Like

Figured out a faster way to get the new parameter to show up for existing devices in Home Assistant. No need to remove and re-add the z-wave switches to get the new parameter to show up.

1. Stop the Z-Wave network (via Configuration… Z-Wave Network Management).
  2. Edit the zwcfg_*.xml in your root configuration directory. For each LZW-30/LZW30-SN device entry, add the below XML to the list of config items. Save the file when you’re done.
  3. Start the Z-Wave network again.

If you don’t stop the z-wave network first, it’ll clobber your changes to the zwcfg.xml file.

<Value type="list" genre="config" instance="1" index="51" label="Instant On" units="" read_only="false" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="0" max="1" vindex="0" size="1">
    <Help>Enables instant on (ie: disable the 700ms button delay). Note, if you disable the delay, it will also disable scene control except for Button 1 (ie: tap up 1x or tap down 1x) and button 7 (config button). All other buttons (2-6) will be disabled.</Help>
    <Item label="Enabled (no delay)" value="0" />
    <Item label="Disabled (700ms delay)" value="1" />
</Value>
2 Likes

Could be. For what it’s worth, in other contexts, reading uninitialized memory leads to all sorts of security problems. That may not be a direct concern here, but it could be a sign of sloppy programming elsewhere. You guys get your hands on the source code yet?

No, sounds like it works as intended!

@EricM_Inovelli added in the stealing of lunch money – nice touch :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think your right. After flashing 35 switches, 33 started up in instant-on mode, 2 started up with the delay

I flashed all of my LZW30-SN to 1.19 on Hubitat yesterday as well as updated the driver and noticed they all defaulted to instant on and off as well, however as soon as I clicked save on the parameters without making changes then it went back to the 700ms delay. Most of my switched I’ve turned off the delay so I’ll see if my wife notices. I like the quicker response and don’t use that many scenes anyway the ones I do use I have moved to button 6 press/hold (hold up/hold down) or button 7 pressed (config button pressed, now that all of my config buttons are the lower profile version). Thanks for the update!

I haven’t yet installed the update yet so this might not be the case. You mention that the on/off events fire on paddle-up. Since the motivation for removing the delay is to have near-instant feedback I’m curious why the switch wouldn’t activate on the initial paddle-down event? That would truly be the fastest way to get feedback and most closely resemble a regular switch action.

That is the correct interpretation, and yes, it does contribute to noticeable latency! I have some Lutron Pico remotes (that I have configured through Home Assistant to take the same actions as my Inovelli switches), and because they trigger on the button press (not release), they are still noticeably faster than the Inovelli switches in “Instant On” mode.

That being said, the latency in “Instant On” mode is much improved over what it was before, and it’s worth celebrating that!

If there is not a mechanical limitation that prevents it. I would love to see some detection on button press (even a basic zwave event that emits on press and one that emits on release)

The amount of people that jam their finger into the switch and hold it wondering why the light does not come on would astound you

I want to quickly followup to my earlier question. IMO it’s fantastic to see the devotion to your users. I think it’s the #1 reason why a relatively new company like yours stands out in an already crowded nearly-commodity market.

Had I not thought you were listening I wouldn’t have even bothered to ask the question.

4 Likes

Lol, I’m just messing with you guys. We strive to be the best of the best and we can’t do it without your feedback, so we do appreciate it. I’d rather have it where we come out with something and you want more than we come out with something and no one wants it, so I’m good with you all helping us be better!

I’m going to ask the manufacturer tonight to make that slight tweak on button pushed down vs released to gain that true instant on.

Strive for the best :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Awww yea… Playing Skyrim on Inovelli Switches will finally happen!
Tod Howard will be proud.
@Eric_Inovelli