Firmware v1.41 (Beta) | LZW31-SN | Dimmer - Red Series (Gen 2)

You mean not your device YET…I’m sure Samsung will sell it to you.tenor

I’d love more than anything to have more support tickets come through and more forum posts to respond to lol /s

2 Likes

Thanks for your quick answer.

Note for Home Assistant people, you can shut down your HA machine, grab the zwave stick, plug it into you computer, and do the firmware update without all the “remove/add” steps.

6 Likes

Nice to know. I did all the removal stuff anyway, firmware upgrade went well using my HUSZBZ-1.

Glad I found this update after only installing one switch. Ill make sure to do each before I put them into service.

I finally got the controller up and running now I am trying to figure out how to update my switch without bricking it. Does anyone use the Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5?..What must be done to keep it from flashing?..Do you need to press the button to make it work? It does show up in the Controller App…thanks…

Hey @neutronspin - I actually use Aeon’s Z-Stick at work. It works great! I haven’t figured out all the random blinks it does, but it works fine.

If it shows up in the controller, you’re all set. Just follow the directions in the link in the first post above and you should be good.

Happy to help further if needed!

Just updated the firmware on one device and it works! A little learning curve but your instructions were spot on. The only problem was getting the software from the Z-Wave vendor…a little convoluted but it works fine. I am going to wait until I update the rest of my dimmers. It would be easier in my Hubitat hub to exclude it from the hub using their exclusion first then include it on the Z-wave stick then update the firmware and remove it from the stick network…if that makes any sense…

It would be nice if Hubitat would add firmware update on their hub but…I may wait updating the firmware on my other dimmers until I ditch my Hubitat hub for a mystery new hub…lol:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

1 Like

@neutronspin - See if this is an option for you.

1 Like

It looks like a time saver. It must poll all the devices and allow easier updates…the price is reasonable if it makes the firmware updates easier especially if there are many devices on the network…

That worked perfectly. A quick summary for those using an Aeotec Gen5 stick and Home Assistant.
Like @doublepedaldylan said, just shutdown HA, unplug the stick and hook it up to your computer.

This part isn’t HA/Aeotec specific.
Run the controller software. You’re going to flash 2 files. otz to target 0, and bin to target 1. Took me a sec to figure out you do those in two separate steps. ie. Pick the otz file and select target 0. Flash it, then repeat for the bin file with target 1.

Plug the stick back into your HA system and turn it back on. Nothing to do in HA at all.
This is much better than removing/adding the devices like the instructions say. You’ll end up with a different node id from that, then have to do all your HA setup for that device all over again.

As for the firmware update, status notifications stick as described. Nice! I can now rip out the part of my node-red setup that save and restored status display info.

4 Likes

I’m fairly certain I’ve seen some of these issues with my LZW30-SN. Will firmware be coming for those?

Yes, we wanted to get the dimmer switch taken care of first since it’s a much more complicated switch, but now that we’re wrapping it up, we will start on the On/Off firmware :grinning:

1 Like

Are you guys working on a firmware for the black series dimmers? (My box says Knight Flank)

Yes, they are being worked on at the same time. Most of the fixes that are in them are also in the Red series so we have been focusing on it first.

From a Hubitat perspective, everything looks great with the beta driver as far as I can tell… Except maybe one thing. At least something to think about.

If you have the LED Notification Duration set to a defined time, when the time expires, the driver leaves the notification enabled (on). Even though the notification LED is off. In order to turn on that effect again, you have to turn it off first. It’d be nice after the time expires, the notification resets so that it’s ready for the next cycle.

For me it’s not THAT big of a deal. As long as the behavior is consistent. I can make a rule to work around it.

Would this firmware fix my issue in which the Red Dimmer becomes non-responsive almost every day? I have to reset via the airgap switch constantly. If it’s not meant to fix it, then I don’t want to go through the hassle of removing it from ST, associating it with my stick and then putting it back on ST!

@Ma2J We have a solution for this that we have implemented in the Fan + Light, but got push back for storage space on the switch & dimmer. The Fan + Light is using Z-Wave 700 which has a lot more space. The solution is for the switch to send a configuration report of 0 for the effect parameter when the effect finishes. It is working great on the Fan + Light. Hopefully we can get it implemented at some point for the switch and dimmer.

@iderdik Unfortunately I can’t guarantee that the firmware addresses your issue, but there have been several bugs fixed. It would be great for you to try and report back, but I understand if it is too much trouble.

No hurry at this point. This dimmer’s functionality/features set was such a big jump, I’m not surprised there isn’t much in the way of memory left. Thank you for the update!

1 Like

“Hopefully we can get it implemented at some point for the switch and dimmer.”

Eric,

I ask…(since in the last 4 months I have purchased 30+ Red Series switches with the 500 series chip and obviously I will not be upgrading or waiting for the 700 series) if there is a possibility the answer to the memory limitation is that it is time to fork/branch the firmware? Many have commented that they don’t want the easy hubless setup features and I could see that it would be great to maybe even have a SmartBulb branch which could allow the led dimming led notification strip to react to the dimming of a smart bulb instead of being always on. Given that firmware updating is going to be more prominent as the controllers have ways to allow it, it would be great to consider the idea. I will say that I really like that Inovelli staff such as yourself are available to comment and it really creates an intimate customer experience. This is usually lost in larger online communities and companies. What say you?

-Travis

5 Likes