Firmware v1.44 (Beta) | LZW31-SN | Dimmer - Red Series (Gen 2)

My Hue bulbs still do not work correctly. The switch just turns off with dim bulbs. But there seems to be no more flicker. Unfortunately the Hubitat hub still believes that the switch is powered on. So one has to cycle the power from the hub or pull the FASS to get the bulbs back on.

I’ve flashed both firmware files twice and excluded/included the dimmer in the network.

I haven’t noticed flicker last night or this morning with the 1.44 firmware. I updated both the otz and bin files with the PC controller. I haven’t tried keeping the lights dim for a long period to see if they turn off on their own yet. I did have that occur once with the 1.35 firmware which sent me down the firmware update path initially. I may try some dim settings tonight.

After updating to v1.38 .bin file, the flicker is gone. BUT the switch now buzzes with dimmed low (none of my Inovelli dimmers buzzed prior to v1.38 .bin) Anybody else notice this?

The dimming range for my LEDs is set to 40-80 (as below 40 I get some Bulb flicker or turn off and above 80 I don’t observe Brightness improvements). That said I don’t hear any dimmer buzzing. I can try to expand my operational range later and see if this changes. What level do you notice the buzzing at?

My Hue lights went into a continuous flashing state at a high dim level today. That flashing must be a Hue response. Had to turn off the dimmer for at least 30 seconds to get the lights to stop flashing.

I’ve been selectively updating firmware LZW31-SNs that had shutoff issue in a 3way with original fw and flickering with 1.41/43.
With 1.41 and 1.44 all earlier issues were resolved, yet I unexpectedly ran into a new issue in the 3way setup when changed a dumb 3way Leviton switch to a dumb 3way illuminated (lighted) switch Leviton 5613. New lighted switch is wired identically to the working non-lighted 3way dumb sw. I tested with 2 different lighted switches. My setup is described here. The issue including the lighted switch is consistently reproducible…

Issue: When 5613 is in OFF position (red glowing illumination is ON), turning ON Inovelli - relay clicks, light starts ramping up and in about 1 sec (at around 50%) relay clicks again and light bulbs shut off.
When 5613 is in OFF position (red glowing illumination is OFF), turning ON Inovelli - relay clicks, Inovelli blue level indicator goes to full but light bulbs remain OFF.

As I mentioned earlier, it’s easy to reproduce and I dread the response maybe “not supported”. I need illuminated switches in both locations. Anyone’s using a dumb illuminated switch in a 3 way setup WITH neutral?

Dreaded response: AFAIK, the use of an illuminated dumb switch with the Red dimmer is not supported. Innovelli should confirm, though.

• Switch Type (3-Way, 4-Way): Dumb (Existing Switch)
  1. Please do not use a dimmer dumb switch or an illuminated dumb switch

Confirmed, you unfortunately cannot use an illuminated dumb switch :frowning:

@yxo
Although not a cost perfect solution, if you need an illuminated switch on both ends, you could put another Inovelli dimmer switch where your dumb switch is and set the min brightness up higher so it appears to be illuminated.

This solution while costing more, comes with a bonus of also being able to set the color of your illumination, ability to send notifications to both switches, and use scene control on both the switches.

2 Likes

This happened to me right after updating to 1.44 but was resolved after pulling the air gap for a few seconds and making sure the dimmer was at 99 (or 100%). I don’t recall this happening with previous updates, so I’m not sure why it happened here, but I suspect I’ll unscrew my smart bulbs during things like this in the future just to make sure I don’t hurt them. :slight_smile: I haven’t seen this in regular use. Is that when yours did this?

On the bright side, I haven’t had the Hue bulbs or the dimmer spontaneously turn off at low loads like I have in the past (though it didn’t always happen then, either), so that’s good!

I pulled the FASS, excluded, and reincluded in the Z-Wave network before my issues. Today there have been no performance issues. Hard to tell what’s going on.

I would recommend that if the device is set to control smart bulbs that the device sets itself to a “relay only” mode where power is 0 or 100 and there are no ramp ups or downs. Not just “disable local control” That would minimize any user configuration issues.

Don’t you bring that “Lutron” foul language in THESE forumns :smiley:

I just bought two new switches and upgraded them to version 1.44 out of the box. I noticed that Parameter 5 (Minimum DIM Level) does not appear to be working. I can set other parameters, including parameter 6 (Maximum DIM Level), and the switch appears to be responding properly. Is anyone else experiencing issues with the Minimum DIM Level switch setting on this firmware version?

Specs:
Home Assistant Core: v0.110.4 (using native OZW 1.4 integration)
Aeotec Gen 5 Z-Stick

Seems to be working OK for me. But I think limiting the range from 1…45 is too restrictive. A lot of my led lights need 50% or more before they light up. So even when I set the Min to the highest allowable setting of 45, the lights still go completely dark when I dim down to the “mimimum” level. I would like to set those to minimum 55 or maybe even higher. And there are some cases where I’d like to have the option to set the minimum to 99 which would effectively disable dimming where desired

With that said, I’ve noticed that I have one switch where the Ramp/Dimming rate (Parameters1-4) aren’t working. But I have many other switches working fine, so I think something got wonky with just this one and I’m going to factory reset that one and try again.

Thanks for the feedback. I still have incandescent bulbs in those fixtures, so it’s very obvious the minimum dim value isn’t working. I’ll try a factory reset and see if it helps.

I have also found that limiting Minimum dimming level 1…45 very restrictive with some of the LEDs I’ve tested. Everything else appears to be operating as normal.

1 Like

What are you setting the minimum level too?

@EricM_Inovelli since you are the author of the Device Handler, I figure you’re the right one to ask this…

Do you see any issues if I were to edit the Device Handler to support a different range for the Minimum dimming level? I recall reading somewhere that there was concern with setting the minimum to something higher than the maximum and confusing the processor. So if I did it, I would set the Maximum range to always be higher.

In other words, if I edit the MIN range to be 1…65 and the MAX range to be 75…99 would that cause any issues? Logically it seems simple and easy, but I didn’t know if the firmware would accept any range that the DH allows, or if there is something internal to the firmware that limits this range as well (I’m running Firmware 1.44)

I was able to set the minimum to 40 in my case which was just right for my LED bulbs. I am using hubitat, don’t know if that is making a difference.

Im setting it to 45 with SmartThings. Problem is I want to set it higher than that and the device handler blocks values over 45