Firmware v1.44 (Beta) | LZW31-SN | Dimmer - Red Series (Gen 2)

How many bulbs do you have connected? I guess I’m going to put them on a dimmer and create an automation loop to dim them up and down repeatedly. Any other suggestions to try to trigger the flashing?

Edit: Also, do you have a 3-way setup or single pole? Neutral or Non Neutral?

@EricM_Inovelli - not sure where to post this but in addition to doing the 1.44 update via Hubitat, I also installed the latest LZW31 driver (from 8 days ago now), and noticed that all the scene controls are not working.
Specifically, when I go into the app, the dimmer no longer shows up as a button device. I had to back that off to get it to re-appear.
Did I install the wrong thing?
Thanks,
CP-

The funny thing is my lights have not flashed for the last 2 days. My setup is 3 Hue RGBW bulbs with neutral. A guess is that the difference is possibly in the quality of the electrical power supply as nothing obvious has changed. Note that these bulbs never flashed nor flickered before installing this dimmer, so while power quality might be an issue in this system, it’s not an issue for the bulbs on their own.

Just a shot in the dark, but did you install the Black Series driver by accident?

Here’s the correct LZW31-SN one for reference: LZW31-SN - Dimmer (Red Series) - Gen 2

1 Like

Well that is interesting. I know I appended the date to the end of the original driver and it absolutely said LZW31-SN, but apparently I did something wrong. This one worked as expected. Thanks @Eric_Inovelli!

1 Like

Hi @EricM_Inovelli. I was directed to this thread from a support ticket that I opened. From what I’ve read here, I seem to be experiencing the same issue as bill.d, BertABCD1234 and kreene1987. I have an Inovelli red series dimmer switch set up to control a single Philips Hue bulb via scene commands. My setup includes a neutral wire, and the switch is wired in a 3-way configuration with a dumb switch. I have disabled local control of the switch’s internal relay. I’m using Home Assistant as my hub.

I don’t think my switch is on the v1.44 Beta since I’ve never explicitly tried to update the firmware. When I look at the switch in Home Assistant, the “application version” parameter has a value of 1.35, so I’m assuming that’s the firmware version I’m on. I realize this is a thread about the 1.44 beta, but I figured I’d add my observations in case it helped.

There are two main problems I’m experiencing with my switch

1. The bulb would start to strobe (flashing ~2 times per second) in which case I would have to cut power to the bulb (either by pulling the air gap, flipping the dumb switch or using Home Assistant to remotely flip the internal relay)
  2. The internal relay of the switch would spontaneously flip cutting power to the bulb (in which case I would either have to use Home Assistant to un-flip it, or by flipping the dumb switch to the other position)

As others have said, the strobing doesn’t happen consistently. I do find that it happens more often after the bulb has been on at full power for a couple hours and then I attempt to dim or toggle the bulb. Also I find that the strobing happens more reliably after power gets cut to the bulb (because of problem #2) and then I restore power to the bulb.

As for the internal relay flipping, I find that problem also happens more often after the bulb has been on for a couple hours and then I lower the dim level of the bulb. There is one scenario in which I always encounter the relay flipping problem. In the Philips Hue app, there is an option to set what happens at sunset. I have my lights set to slowly fade up from 0% to 100% over a 30 minute interval. While this is happening, I hear the click of the switch’s internal relay, and the bulb shuts off as the power is cut. This has happened every day since I’ve installed the Inovelli switch (about a week now).

Hope this helps. Let me know if you guys have any suggestions for preventing these problems.

I’ve a relatively new Inovelli customer and have read through numerous threads. After all them, including this thread, I’m confused about a couple things, maybe someone here could help?

First, is firmware 1.44 still in beta?
The version on the firmware download page says nothing about it being in beta, however, I have yet to come across any post that suggests it’s final.

Second, my dimmers arrived with firmware 1.35 on them. In updating their firmware, do I need to include the .bin with the second target?
The only .bin file I see in the download page says V1.34 which leaves me unsure whether it is a) earlier than the 1.35 on my dimmers or b) it’s a separate version number from the .otz files.

Last, and only if I do need to update the .bin file as well, is the only way to update them to use a separate Z-Wave USB stick?
I am using Hubitat with the wonderful Z-Wave Firmware Updater from @bcopeland that I found from this community. I’ve got one hub, bunches of Red Dimmers, but no Z-Wave USB stick (as yet, at least).

Great community from what I’ve read, BTW!

Welcome @AmbassadorDave!

I looked at the Firmware Page and it does list it as Beta there…maybe you saw it in another spot?

https://support.inovelli.com/portal/kb/inovelli/downloads/firmware

Also the actual download page states the following:

“This firmware is intended for users that would like to test the fixes and features included in this release before it goes into production. It should be a fairly stable release that fixes several issues.”

Located Here…

Answer is “B”, different/separate version numbers.

Yeah, my understanding is that it is now recommended with 1.43 and 1.44 to update the .bin file as it does have changes compared to previous versions. Unfortunately you will need the USB Stick method for the .bin at this time. @bcopeland hasn’t been able to reverse engineer getting .bin to work with the tool.

It really is…welcome again!

-Travis

1 Like

Thanks @Daweeze!

I’m feeling a little sheepish. I apparently found a ‘backdoor’ to the firmwares in the thread about the Hubitat Firmware Updater:
http://files.inovelli.com/firmware
None of the firmware files themselves have anything like, “_beta” in the filenames, so, uh, yeah. Thanks for pointing me at the official page. I’d missed it in my perusal of the Knowledge Base articles.

I was afraid of that. Better to have my fears confirmed though! At least it looks like the .bin file doesn’t get updated that frequently. With a little luck I can update the switches as I install them with both .bin & .otz then use @bcopeland’s update tool in Hubitat thereafter. Fingers crossed!

Alright, USB stick on order. Just to make things difficult, I find Silicon Labs has a Z-Wave 700 series chip stick available and Digikey’s been pretty good at shipping these past few months. The firmware page you keyed me to does link to instructions which recommend the Z-Wave.Me stick, but unfortunately Amazon thinks it will take 1-2 weeks to arrive. I should be able to try the new SL stick this weekend, and if it doesn’t work, the also recommended Aeotec stick costs more but is available with Prime shipping.

Thanks much!
Dave

I’ve noticed something weird lately, not sure if I’m just noticing it or if it is from the 1.44 firmware update) when I quickly double tap up the lights turn off. but If I pause for half a second between 2 up taps the lights turn on to full brightness, which is how I’ve got Hubitat setup. It’s not a problem just have to remember to slow down and not be in such a hurry. I was just wondering if This was working as designed or was a bug? Otherwise I love these switches (slowly replacing the whole house with Inovelli switches when the fan switches come out I may swap out the GE ones too)

I have one of those, bought it from Mouser for $19.

Upgraded firmware to 1.44 (from 1.35) and now have a “flickering” issue. It fixed the persistent notifications problem but now the 6 LEDs will flicker at random. Definitely did not have this problem before :worried:

If I read correctly, the ability to have the dimmer function while the relay is disabled/on was being looked into? Has there been any progress?

I’m essentially looking to match the dimmer state/level with the smart bulbs attached to it’s load.
I still want the relay in there so I can revert to dumb mode if necessary and I’m not unscrewing lightbulbs or pulling switches to rewire the load.