Flashing lights in 3-way Blue + Dumb

@Alphahelix QQ: do you hear relay clicking sound when the light is flashing?

1 Like

Sharing this issue with the engineers. Let us know if you have any additional info about the problem.

1 Like

No relay clicking with the quick flashing. Sometimes there’ll be a click with a button press.

Without touching the other switches (found the same problem on a 4-way, I uninstalled the 3-way because of the flashing), just pushing on/off on the Blue, it can go from off to flashing to on and back and such.

Witness meeee Flashing Inovelli Blue in multiway - YouTube

@EricM_Inovelli more details:

Hubitat reports:

Current States

• auxType : Dumb
  • energy : 0.0
  • held : 1
  • lastButton : Release ►
  • level : 100
  • numberOfBindings : 0
  • numberOfButtons : 14
  • power : 69.2
  • pushed : 14
  • smartBulb : Disabled
  • switch : on
  • switchMode : On/Off

State Variables

• parameter2value : 127
  • parameter21value : 1
  • parameter5value : 127
  • lastCommandTime : 2022-Nov-01 11:26:09 AM
  • parameter8value : 127
  • powerSource : Neutral
  • parameter258value : 1
  • manufacturer : Inovelli
  • driverDate : 2022-08-14
  • parameter22value : 1
  • model : VZM31-SN
  • fwVersion : 2.00
  • parameter3value : 25
  • parameter52value : 0
  • parameter6value : 127
  • lastEventCluster : ON_OFF_CLUSTER
  • fwDate : 2020805
  • lastCommand : On
  • parameter51value : 0
  • parameter23level : 100
  • parameter15value : 101
  • parameter7value : 127
  • parameter23value : 0
  • parameter4value : 127
  • lastEventValue :
  • powerOnState : Previous
  • lastEventTime : 2022-Nov-01 11:26:09 AM
  • parameter1value : 25
  • lastEventAttribute :

Just wanted to quickly say that we’ve received a firmware file (literally 30 min ago) that should address this issue. Eric M’s testing this right now (as he was able to replicate it) so hopefully (fingers crossed) it will fix this.

1 Like

Any ETA on the firmware? Days, weeks? Need a beta tester?

I believe @EricM_Inovelli uploaded it to Hubitat’s server so I’m not sure how quickly they will deploy it. They’re usually pretty good and get it up in a day or so.

While we’ve tested and confirmed the fix, this firmware hasn’t been widely tested, so I want to let anyone know who’s reading this that if you experience any side-effects of the new firmware, please let us know. Also, if you don’t have this issue, there’s no need to download the firmware.

Edit: If you have Home Assistant, shoot me a PM or reach out via tickets and we will work with you on the fix. There’s unfortunately no manual way to push this firmware (if we upload to the server, it will automatically start downloading on your switch and we don’t want that right now with beta firmware).

Was this pushed out to Hubitat yet?

I believe so. There should be a button on the device page that says, “Update Firmware” or something like that. Click on it twice and it should automatically start.

Let me know if you have any issues!

1 Like

I’m still a Hubitat noob, but I think I’ve updated the software to 2.05 and still getting flashing. Is the fix beyond that version?

1 Like

I get the flickering as well on 2.05 using a dumb switch. Taken it out for now. will wait on more updates or just use it for a different switch in the house. Or i might just get the aux addon switch.

What version is this supposed to be fixed in? 2.05? 2.08? 2.11? other? I’m now at 2.08 and still get blinking, though it seems to be slower than it used to be. Not 100% sure.

• powerSource : Neutral
  • manufacturer : Inovelli
  • driverDate : 2022-11-05
  • model : VZM31-SN
  • fwVersion : 2.08
  • fwDate : 20221110
  • lastUpdateFw : 1668529397133

1. Aux Switch Type
    Set the Aux switch type.
    3-Way Dumb Switch

(though it is in a 4-way, but I don’t think the switch can tell the difference?)

2.05 was the initial fix for the bulb flashing. If yours is still flashing, you may want to share bulb brand and model number so it could potentially be tested. Have you tried different bulbs?

1 Like

The flashing is slower and sometimes there’s a delay before it starts now. I’ll check out the light model number when I get my ladder back :stuck_out_tongue:

With firmware 2.05+ can you please try to adjust the max level to 95 or 90% as a test? The traveler circuit may be getting overloaded and messing with the 3-way dumb switch toggle detection.

I set the max to 90% and it seems more reliable now (didn’t get anything in maybe ~40-50 toggles). It did seem a bit more reliable on 2.08 than 2.00, but I could still get it to happen maybe every 1 in 10 toggles.

It’s in on/off mode, not dimming, does the max% still do something?

Shouldn’t because it should output max voltage. Guess you could try SBM as a science experiment.

The current versions of firmware and driver do support setting a Max Level in on/off mode. But it doesn’t support a Min Level (which makes no sense in non-dimming mode)

1 Like

Interesting because when we were going through beta we reported the issue in on/off mode that you could dim the output power via device manager and thought it was agreed to prevent that from happening. Now it sounds like that is back in the firmware/driver.

We might as well stop calling this an on/off switch if people can lower the percentage while in on/off mode. It’s really becoming a dimmer with 88% output or whatever you want in on/off mode.

Well, it’s still just On or Off. Holding the up or down paddles does not change the level at the switch. Also, Set Level commands from a hub do not change the voltage output. A level of 0 is ‘off’ and any non-zero level is ‘on’ at the configured Max Level percentage

Ehhh still sounds like a dimmer.