FWIW Setting Fan Minimum Fan Level

I was dazed and confused for a couple of days thinking my fan had suddenly stopped working. What I think really happened is that it got “dimmed” to off. (Button B on their cheat sheet - the lower of the 2 dimming paddles). And, with it set to come on at the last setting, it was coming back on at zero.

To prevent that happening in the future I set the Minimum Fan Level param to 33 (which I assume is “low”). That way it will only turn off with the bottom paddle.

One can also change the Default Fan Level (Local) and or (Z-Wave) to some other # too. (e.g. 66 should be like setting it to “medium”)

2 Likes

“Someone” in my house has done this too. It took me a bit to realize what had happened. But I hadn’t thought of setting the min value for the fan yet. I’ll have to play with it to see if there are any unintended effects on the fan’s operation.

I’d recommend a min level of 1 because breeze mode :smiley:

Hmmm. Last night I noticed my bedroom ceiling fan was making some noise, which happens when it starts spinning above a certain speed. I then saw it was spinning faster than we usually set it. I went into my Hubitat dashboard and picked “Low” but it didn’t seem to slow down. So here is my question, which may kill this idea; If I set the minimum for the fan to say 33 does Hubitat equate that to zero so when I pick “Low” for the fan in the dashboard it is actually setting it at 33 + some amount?

Which brings up another question: What percentages does Hubitat use for the fan speeds of: Low, Medium Low, Medium, Medium High and High? And what does Auto mean?

In a way having words are nice, but in the device itself I have to use numbers. I wish there was a way the two could be consistent. Back to the Dashboard, it seems that the words should be absolute numbers so Low is (say) 33% not the minimum + 33%. (And, of course nicer still, would be if we could set the values for each speed and remove speeds I don’t want to use).

Update:
My wife told me this morning that the fan is changing speeds on its own. I know there is a thing called Breeze mode, which I think is invoked by the “Auto” setting in a dashboard button, but I’m sure I didn’t push that. Can Breeze mode be invoked from the fan dimmer? I’m wondering if setting the dim level to “0” on the physical dimmer would invoke this.

Breeze mode is 1 on dimmer. Double tap up on fan level rocker also works.

Thanks. What I just found, and seems weird, is that if I use the fan template from the dashboard I can change the fan’s speed, but when I turned it it in from the physical button and then selected a speed from the dashboard, the icon changed to match my selection, but the speed definitely didn’t change.

I’m wondering if setting the minimum speed to 33 confused it or not or it is something else.