How does disabling the internal relay work?

I’m trying to understand the operation of the Red series dimmer with the internal relay disabled.

From what I read disabling the internal relay is needed when connecting to a Smart bulb.

The below is what I think the relay does in the Red dimmer. So if the relay is disabled, the dimmer will always be connected to the “Load” terminal. OK but this means the dimmer in the Red will be controlling the remote smart bulb, which I though was not acceptable for the Smart bulb which needs power all the time.

What am I missing?

Thanks

John

1 Like

That’s correct. My understanding is that with the relay disabled, the line and load are constantly bridged, the lights will have constant power. This will not change if you work the paddles and I believe, if you send a zwave command to it.

I haven’t had to disable a relay as of yet, but I do have a use case I’m going to try it on. So my opinion is based on my reading.

1 Like

Thanks, I would really like to know how you make out with your test.

What I’m really puzzled about is the Inovelli Dimmer powering a Smart bulb. I though that was a no no. It would seem there is more to it than that. I at one time I have posted a suggestion to connect the Smart bulb to the dimmer LINE to keep it powered but I was told such a configuration would loose on / off control. So I’m at a loss to fully understand the configuration of “local relay disabled”

John

When I do test it will be with a switch and not a dimmer. I don’t plan on purchasing any Inovelli dimmers in the foreseeable future.

Regarding your question, you do lose on/off control via the “mechanical” switch. On/off control is then accomplished through the hub. Working the paddle on the switch sends commands to the hub to do whatever is coded.

If you have a smart switch connected to a smart bulb, you disable the relay. The smart bulb is now powered full time. If you want that switch to still control the smart bulb, you code the hub to turn the smart bulb on and off based upon the switch presses. That on/off therefore is being controlled by the hub, not the switch.

Ah… OK.
So its essentially the same as connecting the Smart bulb to the “Hot” power wire.

Thanks
John

Yep. Just like wiring the hot or load together, although through the switch I think you still get the benefit of the airgap.

Ran across this thread because I’m having an issue with the Red series dimmer and an Inovelli smart bulb. Even with the relay in the dimmer disabled (I believe it was 8 taps of the config button) power seems to keep getting cut to the bulb. I originally posted on the association tool thread thinking the issue was related to that, but I put a dumb bulb in the socket and sure enough it is turning off.

I’ve done a couple of tests, 8 taps and the notification bar flashes red, try it out, 8 taps again notification bar flashes green, try it all again. The dumb bulb keeps turning off. Something isn’t working with disabling this relay.

@Pelted Can you try setting it from your Hub or App?

That is where I started, before I learned about the 8 taps on the config button. But I can try that again this evening.

I suggested that as there have been some suspected issues of settings not taking. You can also try setting the relay to be active and save; then put it back in an attempt to get it to stick. There have been a couple cases where a setting appeared to have been set correctly but wasn’t. Changing from the desired setting followed by a save, and then putting it back resolved the issue.

Im pretty sure disabling the relay simply disables LOCAL control via the switch. You can still turn the switch on and off with zwave when the relay is disabled.

If you disable the relay, but still have some sort of automation set up that is turning the switch on or off, you will still run into problems.

You are correct. I’ve been using an NZW30S (1st gen) as only a scene controller for over a year. I also have a new red series switch and can confirm it works in the same manner. When you “disable the relay” it is only disabling the local control. However I have all my switches connected to Home Assistant and I can still turn the relay off and on.

I use several of these switches with the local control disabled. If it’s connected to a smart bulb then I have the relay turned on before I disable local control. If I’m using the switch as only a scene controller, then I turn the relay off before I disable local control.

In either case I simply hide the switch (relay control) in from the Home Assistant GUI so it does not get accidently triggered. It’s something to be aware of but I think really like how it works. Obviously in these cases to disable local control is the most important thing. I still like the fact the fact that I can trigger the relay using wireless control if needed. I have some older wifi lights that need rebooted from time to time. I actually take full advantage of how this works by simply having an automation in HA that toggles the relay every so often to reboot lights.