How to set a zwave scene for a switch in Home Assistant

Hello! I recently purchased some red 2 in 1 dimmer switches, and I understand they can be used as a scene controller. I am using zwave js ui and have built the scenes under the scene section but I can’t seem to find a way to assign them to button presses on a switch. How do you assign the scene to a button press?

The easiest way is to use this blueprint that I made: Z-Wave 800 Series 2-1 Switch (On/Off & Dimmer) | Project Phoenix - #505 by rohan

You use to it make an automation and then assign the scenes to each of the commands in the blueprint.

Hello! This looks to me like it runs the automation via home assistant rather than calling the zwave scene via the switch. Is that true or am I misunderstanding something?

Maybe I misunderstood what you are trying to do. I thought you were saying that you had created scenes in Home Assistant and wanted to trigger those via the multi-tap scene controls on the Inovelli Red 2-1. Is that correct?

I have created zwave scenes in zwave js ui and I would like to trigger them without involving home assistant. My understanding is inovelli switches are capable of acting as a controller and triggering zwave scenes on its own.

My understanding is that the Inovelli switches can use Z-Wave associations to directly control devices, but scene commands are all “Central Scenes” which are routed to the hub and have to be processed there (Home Assistant in this case).

I have not seen a Z-Wave device that can directly execute scenes in Z-Wave JS UI and have not used that functionality before.

Ah, interesting! If that’s true that would explain why I can’t seem to find a way to trigger zwave scenes via a switch. Thank you for your explanation!