[HOW-TO] Using the Z-Wave Association Tool in Hubitat

What hub are you using and which device? (LZW30-SN)?

If you are using the ON / OFF switch you can set parameter 4 to 11 on one or both of them. If you want to keep them in sync when you adjust them via your z-wave hub, then just configure parameter 4 on one of them. Then always send commands to the other one and it will mirror its commands to the other switch.

If that isn’t important to you, just set parameter 4 on both of them.

I’m using Hubitat and LZW30-SN and LZW31-SN i.e. a dimmer and a switch. When either is on or off, I’d like the other to also be on or off.

I didn’t realize your association behavior had so many options for when to send the commands. I mean, I had seen them but never looked into them. Very impressive though. I thought association was pretty fixed and was always only local. What’s timer and 3-way? Does that imply a GE add-on switch can trigger the association command?

Thanks

Also, I’m assuming that the reason why it goes into an infinite loop is that the z-wave hub option actually means a zwave event i.e. if 1 switch sends a basicSet via association to another (without the zwave hub being involved at all), the 2nd switch receives that and assumes it came from a “zwave hub” (zwave event) and so sends a command to all its associated members (which includes the 1st switch). Then the merry go round begins even without a zwave hub being involved!

Hmmm, I’m not seeing a similar option on the dimmer. Does that not include a parameter for “association behaviour”? If it doesn’t, what’s the default behaviour please? All of them include zwave hub?

Yep, you are correct on the 3-way. It is when you use an aux switch to turn on / off the device whether it will send the commands to the associated devices. Timer is the “Auto Off” config parameter which turns the device off after x seconds. If the timer is enabled, when the device turns off after the timer expires it will turn off associated devices as well.

Oh, and you are also correct on your assumptions of the command loop.

The dimmer also has this parameter but it is number 12. You can enable it by changing the following in the code. To be honest, I had disabled it because I hadn’t fully tested it but my reports are that it does work.

def getParameterNumbers(){
return [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,17,18,19,20,21,22]
}

I would like to use the association and associate a Motion Sensor to a Switch. The motion sensor is a Zooz ZSE18 and the switch is an Inovelli On/Off LZW30 switch. The thread started with a comment that this only works with Inovelli devices but we can add code to other drivers. Could you point me to the code I would need to add to the Zooz driver? Thank you!

@anthonyc I posted a little write-up about it here:

Thank you @EricM_Inovelli - I will look into this. I have not seen a driver for that motion sensor on Hubitat but I will ask around.

Hi @EricM_Inovelli,

When I did the firmware upgrade to my Red Series Dimmer Switches, I removed them, upgraded them and added them to Hubitat. All was well. I then went to repair my Rules by selecting the upgraded switch as it had orphaned the previous selection. No problem there. That said, I went to the Z-Wave Association Tool and corrected the missing Source Device but the Association was never corrected in the device. Instead I had to remove the “Broken” associations and delete them and recreate them to restore the functionality. When the associations weren’t working I could see the App Based Association were in the configured Device “In Use By” Area but never appeared in the “Data” section. Is there a way to have the Z-Wave Association Tool fixed to re-establish the associations when devices are changed like this?

-Travis

I think what I can do is make it so the refresh button for the device obtains the current associations. It will check and see that the actual associations are not the way they should be. Then, if you hit “save” for the association in the tool or if you hit “configure” in the device page it will send the associations again.

Edit: Wait a second, the actual associations should be queried when the switch is included into the network. So going back through the association tool and selecting the new device should have worked. Hmmm, I am not sure why that didn’t work for you but I will test it.

Thanks, let me know what you find!

-Travis

I figured out what was going on. I added an option to “Reset Association Variables” in the App that people can use if they are “swapping” devices like you are.

1 Like

Great, I will try it this weekend when I install a couple more switches! Thanks Eric!

-Travis

1 Like

I have followed these instructions and nothing is happening when I use the slave switch.

Any idea what I can be doing wrong? The “Office Lights - Slave” switch has no load, with power, neutral, and ground attached. The “Office Lights” switch works properly when you use it to turn the lights on and off.

@jmallentn Can you post the state variables and the data section for both devices?

Sure, here they are. Office Switch (load attached)
officestate

Office Slave (no load, should controls other switch)
SlaveState

Hmmm, there should be a lot more data. Are you using our driver? If so, click on “Save Preferences” and it should create many more state variables.

Thank you for looking at this. That driver seemed to be the problem. I swapped it to the custom Inovelli drivers and recreated the associations and it worked!

1 Like

Do we need to install both this one

and this one

Yep. :wink: