[HOW-TO] Using the Z-Wave Association Tool in Hubitat

So down at the bottom under “device details” one is showing up with the “S2: 131” and one doesn’t. Neither show “zwaveSecurePairingCom”. I’m not sure were to get to the same spot you are at.

the one on the right shows zwaveSecurePairingComplete: true. You can check Z-Wave Details to see if it’s S0 or S2 for the devices (middle or right column). These two will have problems communicating unless they’re both set for None, S0 or S2. I would recommend excluding the device on the right, and pairing with no security. Then try your associations again.

Ok, so I just went through my devices and it seems to be a 50/50 chance that they registered with S2 somehow. All were added with the default setting that came up that had all check boxes except S2 class 2. How would some be added differently that others?

So when I add a switch should I remove all the security?

Would it be in my best interest to go around and make sure they are all showing up the same way and exclude/include them again until they are all the same? I currently am just starting out with my house and the first thing I have done is switches. Next week is Inovelli RGBW A19 bulbs once they arrive. I will have a mix of them and regular LED bulbs.

With the newer C7 firmware, it should be somewhat stable, but I noticed some of my further devices were still adding with no security vs. S2. I went ahead and made most (still need to run through some) set to no security. I was deselecting all the checkboxes when it prompted me for security associations.

The bulbs don’t support S2, so IF you plan on using associations to control the bulbs, you’ll need to set those switches as no security or S0 (assuming your bulbs join as S0). If the bulbs and switches are not set the same, it won’t control the smart bulbs as intended.

That’s just my recommendation.

1 Like

So I went around and excluded and included my switches to all be connected without S2 and now some bulbs are adding themselves as S2: 128 and some are adding themselves without any S2. Any tips on how to adjust the bulbs?

I don’t think the S2: 128 means they were securely paired. I’m a little confused about that on non-secure or S0 devices (to be honest). The maximum security level supported by Inovelli bulbs is S0.

Our dimmers do have a problem sometimes pairing with S2 so there is a firmware update for those. You would need to include them as S0 to control the bulbs, but the S2 bug sometimes makes Hubitat downgrade the security to non-secure regardless of whether you choose S0 or S2 which is why I mention it.

https://community.inovelli.com/t/firmware-v1-48-beta-lzw31-sn-dimmer-red-series-gen-2
https://community.inovelli.com/t/firmware-v1-48-beta-lzw31-dimmer-black-series-gen-2

I have a question about Z-Wave Association and how to use it between different model inovelli switches. The primary switch will be the Red Dimmer, the other 2 will be Red On/Off in a 3 way wiring config. Unfortunately the LED light are Zigbee. However, I can create a Z-wave association between the master Red Dimmer and the 2 Red On/Off auxiliary switches. With that, I don’t have to create any additional scene’s, groups, etc to turn the lights on and off. With the Z-wave associate the auxiliary switches will solely communicate the master switch, which in turn will fire the button events against Hubitat?

Is this correct a understanding of how to use Z-wave Association?

If I am understanding you correctly, if you associate the Red ON/OFF to the dimmer, the dimmer will not send button events when you control it from the ON/OFF. The button events from the dimmer are only sent when you physically control the dimmer.

You could create rules in rule machine to respond to the button presses on all the switches. So all of them could control the Zigbee bulbs.

1 Like

Hello.
I am trying to associate an older Go Control WT00Z-1 accessory switch to a Red Series Switch (LZW30-SN). I have the WT00Z-1 named Basement Stair Aux as a Generic Z-Wave CentralScene Switch Type and the LZW30-SN named Basement Stair Light using the Inovelli Switch Red Series LZW30-SN Type. I have associated the Basement Stair Aux to the Basement Stair Light in the Associate Z-Wave Devices App.

Here are the data outputs from the two devices from the device section of Hubitat.

The Inovelli master switch works perfectly fine physically and through Hubitat, but the auxiliary controller does not turn the switch on or off. I am on a Hubitat C-7 running 2.2.3.148. I am wondering if anyone can assist to see if I am doing something wrong.
Thank you very much,
Spencer

Try Group 3 and 4?

Not much details listed in regards to security, but both switches are at none, S0, or S2 security? They’ll need to match.

Hi harjms,
Thanks for the quick response. Yes both switches are at none security. I tried group 3 and then group 4 and neither of those work either. Any other suggestions?
Thanks again,
Spencer

If associations don’t work, maybe setting up a rule in rule machine for the “aux” switch. Like if toggle on then turn on Inovelli dimmer. That should work for on and off. For dimming that might be harder. You may need to look at logging and see if you can setup a rule for dim up and down with press and hold command.

Otherwise it may be an incompatible aux switch.

Just a quick update here. I could not get the association to work using the association tool nor could I create a successful rule that controlled the switch. I was able to use a minimote to associate the accessory switch to the Red Series switch. Thank you harjms for the help.

1 Like

The source device needs special code in order for it to work with the association tool:

i tried to instal the driver for this but it threw an error when i went to save it.

No signature of method: Script1.definition() is applicable for argument types: (java.util.LinkedHashMap) values: [[name:Z-Wave Association, namespace:erocm123, author:Eric Maycock, ...]]

@emiller233 There are two apps that you need to install listed in the OP. It might be important the order you install them. If you are getting an error with one of them, try installing the other one first.

I cannot get the associate to properly work. I am using Red On/Off switch and 2 RGBW Inovelli bulbs. I install both main app and child app for Association tools for Hubitat. I even changed out the drivers for the bulbs to the ones provided by Inovelli. According the Hubitat GUI the association is created, but when I try to turn them off or on with the switch, nothing happens.

@atchinson Do you have the C7 hub by chance? If so your bulbs may be paired with S0 encryption, and the switch a different encryption. The switch and bulbs must be using the same encryption for the association to work.

I finally got the association to work. I have to get the switch excluded and included at SO. It took a bit to get the bulbs to properly included at SO. One was at NONE.

Now however, the bulbs going off and on are NOT quick. Turning off takes up to about 2 to 3 seconds, turning on takes longer. Not sure what is going on there why the association (group 2) takes so long.

Did you disable local control on the switch? If not that might be cutting power to the bulbs instead of the association controlling the bulbs.

1. Turn the switch on
  2. Press the config button 8x
  3. The LED should flash (I forget if it’s red or green to indicate enabled)

Attempt turning on/off the switch now.