[HOW-TO] Using the Z-Wave Association Tool in Hubitat

This is why we pay you the big bucks :wink:

Can we add this to the ever growing list lol? I think we could at least do it easily on the Fan/Light as that’s 700 Series. The Dimmer, On/Off will be a challenge I would imagine? Although, I guess S0 and S2 are already built in on these, so it would just be putting some code to tell the switch to use one or the other, right?

Actually, because the switches support S2 you have the option what (if any) security level to use when including them. So it’s actually super easy to pair the switches with no encryption. Because the bulbs only support S0 they pair without a prompt.

I’m learning a lot today!!

1 Like

Yeah, I know. It is something that I will add and make sure to add it on products in the future. This option would be great for hubs that don’t let you customize the security.

If this question has been answered already, apologies for my failure to find it…

What would be the correct way to set up virtual 3-way control of Z-wave bulbs?

I have Z-wave association based control (groups 2 and 4) working for a single dimmer with some bulbs, but the next area to get moved over to this is a couple of LZW31-SN’s controlling some LZW42’s.

Found my answer in another thread…putting it here in case someone else needs it. I don’t have Z-wave bulbs here yet but I’m assuming I’ll just need to add groups 2/4 associations to one of the dimmers when that happens.

You want groups 3 and 4

To clarify, I want to associate both dimmers with each other with groups 3 and 4, then I want to associate one dimmer to the lights with groups 2 and 4. Right?

A different question - I associated the two dimmers with each other in groups 3 and 4, then I updated firmware on the two switches to 1.48/1.41. Association from physical presses seems to work, but if I turn the switch “on” or “off” via Hubitat, the other one doesn’t follow. Is this expected? I thought association still worked even with on/off from Hubitat prior to the firmware update, but I’m not 100% certain.

Everything sound be group 3 and 4. I’m calling load switch primary.

Setup the following for groups 3 and 4.
First association:
Source - primary
Destination- secondary and bulb

Second association:
Source - Secondary
Destination- primary and bulb

Primary zwave association behavior (param 12) - 15
Secondary zwave association behavior (param 12)- 11

Edit: Regarding your second question… I think I had to delete and receate the association to fix that issue

For which groups, why group 3 to the bulbs? That seems conflicting with the guidance at the beginning of this thread (groups 2 and 4). I’m super new to this so would love to understand.

For the other thing, I redid the associations and it didn’t help. I’ll try excluding and re-including the dimmers and see if that sorts it.

Edit: to clarify a little further there is no “load” connected anywhere. Those terminals on the dimmers are empty and the bulbs are hardwired to power.

I followed the below guide in the past. Also make sure the two switches and bulb are joined S0

Yeah I found that too, which is what led me to understand G3/4 between dimmers and G2/4 from the “master” switch to the bulbs (master having P12 left at 15 and slave having P12 set to 11).

@EricM_Inovelli can you comment as to what you believe are the correct associations to make for virtual 3-way dimming and zwave bulbs?

I’d try it myself by smartthings won’t let me join my bulb s0 waiting for @EricM_Inovelli :wink: to release a firmware update to only join s0

1 Like

This is usually what I advise people to do for those two scenarios.

2 Likes

Any idea about why the 1.48 firmware seems to have broken association from Hubitat control for me? They follow each other from physical presses, but don’t follow if I turn them on or off from Hubitat.

It should work if you control the master, but not the slave (since p12 was set to 11). This is to prevent a z-wave loop from occuring.

Is it acting that way or do they not keep in sync when controlled from the master either?

@EricM_Inovelli Hi Eric, Wondering if you can help with my association woes too!

I have 2 LZW31-SNs (fws 1.35 & 1.47) using your 2021-01-28 driver on a hubitat C7 hub. One is installed at each end of my garden and each has it own bulbs as connected load.

I want to be able to sync the two (on/off & dimming) in a bi-directional configuration. I have installed the drivers for the z-wave association tool dated 2020-04-16 and setup up 4 associations,

1. Patio > Pergola Group 2
  2. Patio > Pergola Group 4
  3. Pergola > Patio Group 2
  4. Pergola > Patio Group 4

I found that the dimmers are fighting each other in a loop and as I hold the down paddle I can see the level in the notification bar being set higher again as it starts to drop down.

As per your comment on this thread, I have since set the Association Behaviour one of of the dimmers (fw1.47) to #11, but I’m still having the same problem.

What am I missing?

TIA.
Jon.

Update: I just removed the Associations and the app, and deleted the Association Behaviour option as my dimmers were pretty much unusable (scenes not even triggering reliably) however it looks like the two dimmers are still linked and still unusable.

What should I do?

So my current situation is I can turn either master or slave dimmer on from Hubitat, but when doing it like that they do not follow each other (e.g., turn master on and slave does nothing, and vice versa).

Operating them from the physical paddles works exactly as expected (save for an odd delay sometimes, but I’ll post about that once I get fully migrated, disconnect ST, and repair the Zwave network).

You can look at the state variables to see the node ids that are currently associated and remove them with the set association command:

@Aegwyn11 can you verify that only one of the devices has parameter 12 set to 11? Maybe even set them to something else and then set them back.