[HOW-TO] Using the Z-Wave Association Tool in Hubitat

If I am understanding you correctly, if you associate the Red ON/OFF to the dimmer, the dimmer will not send button events when you control it from the ON/OFF. The button events from the dimmer are only sent when you physically control the dimmer.

You could create rules in rule machine to respond to the button presses on all the switches. So all of them could control the Zigbee bulbs.

1 Like

Hello.
I am trying to associate an older Go Control WT00Z-1 accessory switch to a Red Series Switch (LZW30-SN). I have the WT00Z-1 named Basement Stair Aux as a Generic Z-Wave CentralScene Switch Type and the LZW30-SN named Basement Stair Light using the Inovelli Switch Red Series LZW30-SN Type. I have associated the Basement Stair Aux to the Basement Stair Light in the Associate Z-Wave Devices App.

Here are the data outputs from the two devices from the device section of Hubitat.

The Inovelli master switch works perfectly fine physically and through Hubitat, but the auxiliary controller does not turn the switch on or off. I am on a Hubitat C-7 running 2.2.3.148. I am wondering if anyone can assist to see if I am doing something wrong.
Thank you very much,
Spencer

Try Group 3 and 4?

Not much details listed in regards to security, but both switches are at none, S0, or S2 security? They’ll need to match.

Hi harjms,
Thanks for the quick response. Yes both switches are at none security. I tried group 3 and then group 4 and neither of those work either. Any other suggestions?
Thanks again,
Spencer

If associations don’t work, maybe setting up a rule in rule machine for the “aux” switch. Like if toggle on then turn on Inovelli dimmer. That should work for on and off. For dimming that might be harder. You may need to look at logging and see if you can setup a rule for dim up and down with press and hold command.

Otherwise it may be an incompatible aux switch.

Just a quick update here. I could not get the association to work using the association tool nor could I create a successful rule that controlled the switch. I was able to use a minimote to associate the accessory switch to the Red Series switch. Thank you harjms for the help.

1 Like

The source device needs special code in order for it to work with the association tool:

i tried to instal the driver for this but it threw an error when i went to save it.

No signature of method: Script1.definition() is applicable for argument types: (java.util.LinkedHashMap) values: [[name:Z-Wave Association, namespace:erocm123, author:Eric Maycock, ...]]

@emiller233 There are two apps that you need to install listed in the OP. It might be important the order you install them. If you are getting an error with one of them, try installing the other one first.

I cannot get the associate to properly work. I am using Red On/Off switch and 2 RGBW Inovelli bulbs. I install both main app and child app for Association tools for Hubitat. I even changed out the drivers for the bulbs to the ones provided by Inovelli. According the Hubitat GUI the association is created, but when I try to turn them off or on with the switch, nothing happens.

@atchinson Do you have the C7 hub by chance? If so your bulbs may be paired with S0 encryption, and the switch a different encryption. The switch and bulbs must be using the same encryption for the association to work.

I finally got the association to work. I have to get the switch excluded and included at SO. It took a bit to get the bulbs to properly included at SO. One was at NONE.

Now however, the bulbs going off and on are NOT quick. Turning off takes up to about 2 to 3 seconds, turning on takes longer. Not sure what is going on there why the association (group 2) takes so long.

Did you disable local control on the switch? If not that might be cutting power to the bulbs instead of the association controlling the bulbs.

1. Turn the switch on
  2. Press the config button 8x
  3. The LED should flash (I forget if it’s red or green to indicate enabled)

Attempt turning on/off the switch now.

Yes local control is off. Also tried both group 1 and group 2, no change.

Usually Group 2 is quicker than group 3. You should be using Group 2 or 3 and 4.

Nothing I tried seemed to get the bulbs to respond faster and consistently. I suspect possibly the bulbs have a problem. I removed the association and did scenes and groups. Those did not work consistently for turn the bulbs off and on. I also tried to use the Rules 4.0 app for button 1 push and held to activate the scene and just turn off the bulbs. That process too was slow and most of the time the bulbs would not respond. Now, I could go to the specific device for the bulb and turn it off and on and that worked. I did not try changing colors. It has to be seamless, easy, trust worthy for my wife and kids. So out of frustration, removed the smart bulbs and put back dumb LED bulbs, then re-enabled local control. I didn’t have any of these problems with other Inovelli switches with Zigbee LED recessed lights with groups, scenes, and Rule 4.0 app. I think it is something with Inovelli bulbs.

I believe there are some problems with the C-7 and S0 security. I am also having issues with it. We have asked the manufacturer to produce a version of the bulb firmware with S2, but it may take some time. I believe that Hubitat should optimize their S0 though because there are many devices that are not going to get updated to S2.

1 Like

Let me know when you need someone to test that firmware release. I just migrated 12 bulbs back to my C4 hub because of this.

1 Like

@EricM_Inovelli I see that Inovelli is out of stock for these bulbs too. Will the new batches support S2? Do you even have an ETA on them?

I hate to ask, but do you know of any other Zwave RGBW bulb that support S2 and or Zwave associations?

I’m not sure about stock issues, but the firmware engineer has been trying to support S2 but has run into a problem. The bulb’s SDK does not support S2 so that is presenting a challenge. I am still looking into it though.