Infrared heating panels on Blue 2-in-1 switch

I know the Blue 2-in-1 can NOT switch inductive loads. But I want to confirm it can switch an infrared panel, like this one for example: IP-EM-GLS-MIR-0600 - Ember Mirror Radiant Panel Heater - 600W - 35ʺ x 24ʺ - Dual Connection ?

Note that the FAQ explicitly writes:

If you’ve elected to convert your dual connection radiant panel to a hardwired connection, the radiant panel should be wired to a hardwired control option like a switch, […]

and they offer a Wifi wall switch but of course, I want to use the Inovelli’s

Looking at the wiring diagrams for the panel, and their switch, I’ll say no. The panel is controlled by having its power input switched directly. That would expose the switch directly to that load, which the 2-in1 is not designed to handle.

I would switch the heater using a relay and switch the relay with the Inovelli.

4 Likes

This is an expected and disappointing response :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

I was also hoping to use the energy metering function of the 2-1 to keep track of the power wasted in heating

Can you explain a bit more with what you mean? Isn’t the load completely identical to any other load? Like connecting/disconnecting line?

Not in the 2-1s unfortunately. In all modes, the current goes through the dimming circuit, which is not rated for such loads.

It’s a bit borderline, but isn’t this actually supposed to work? The heater is rated at 600W, and the max load for the 2-1 is also 600W.
And a 600W incandescent load would be slightly more taxing than this 600W resistive load?

The Blue 2-1 is a LIGHT switch. It was designed and tested as a LIGHT switch. It is rated as LIGHT switch. A heater is not a LIGHT. No one at Inovelli is going to say it’s OK to use a switch they designed and got rated as a LIGHT switch for any other purpose.

Hi Bry,
I completely agree. It’s that whole Inovelli supported vs. NEC approved vs. “works” discussion.
Asking from the “works” perspective, I was thinking of an incandescent bulb as basically a heater (though with some extra startup current requirements), this sounds like a heater probably without the startup issues.
But yes, using these “off-label” (as the drug companies would say) and particularly that close to the rates limits might not be the best idea.