Insteon shuts down servers, apparently out of business

I would point out that the Red series switches are now two generations behind state-of-the-art Zwave (though, I do realize that nothing is out on the 800 series silicon yet). I imagine you aren’t starting on an old Zigbee platform.

That’s an excellent point!

1 Like

With the 700 series issues, I would argue that the 500 series is the current best option…and hesitate to buy the first products out the door with an 800 series chipset…

3 Likes

I have maybe 20 700 devices. I’ve had no problems. In fact, my 700 devices have largely been great.

I think the 700 series problems mainly come from 700 series controllers.

I have been a long time Insteon user and am eagerly awaiting the pre-order on the blue switches. I have migrated to HA already to get back up and running, but the servers going offline has given me a great excuse to give the wife regarding updating our whole house. (i.e. 68 switches, 25 outlets, 4 table lamps, 3 exhaust fans and 6 ceiling fans)

Just wait until you see the Inovelli notifications on the smart outlets! (j/k, but maybe one day @Eric_Inovelli will entertain this idea!)

1 Like

I was curious if you are going to have an option for Fan + Light Switch/controllers in the Blue Series. I installed similar Insteon devices for all the fans in my house and the Wife likes them. I see them offered in the Red Series, but nothing about development for the Blue Series.

I have two Zwave locks in my house anyway, so if this is not on the plans for initial release, then maybe I’ll build out my ZWave network to my locks with the Red Series and then replace everything else with Blue Series devices until a Light + Fan controller is available in the Blue Series.

I know they had it on the roadmap though supply chain issues have thrown that for a loop. Obviously Eric might be able to share more, but I think it’s still targeted at least further down the road?

1 Like

Red vs. Blue!

I use Indigo as my DIY home automation server. It’s a subscription-based Mac-only server that doesn’t require cloud to function (they maintain a cloud-based “Reflector” service for remote access which does require an active subscription). That said, a subscription is not required and rolling your own Reflector is not complicated. Most importantly – if the company were to go away tomorrow, the Indigo software would still work. Indigo supports Z-Wave, Insteon and X10.

Indigo is not for everyone, but I’m a fan.

Well if Indigo only supports zwave, there’s no red vs blue for you!! Red wins lol

1 Like

@MRobi – for HA, that’s true. At least for the time being.

My comment was meant to be a reference to the iconic Red vs. Blue. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Inovelli may not be far off from same outcome. I tried to contact them asking for a refund on a much delayed switch and a letter that I sent was returned to me, as they are no longer at address on website.

How did you try and contact them? Are you talking about the 5 button switch and canceling your pre-order?

I’d be willing to bet all you need to do is submit a support ticket here with your order information and they’ll get back to you pretty quickly on it. Tagging @Eric_Inovelli here but know their attention has been pretty focused on getting this Blue series switch out since the 5 button delays have been outside their control.

2 Likes

Lol what are you talking about?

Also, you’ve contacted us in the past and we’ve taken care of you - not sure what could possibly be the issue now?

3 Likes

You sent them a letter??? They haven’t moved, so I’d put that one on USPS.

Did you submit a support ticket outling your issue?

EDIT: Damn, Eric and CH beat me!

1 Like

@Eric_Inovelli I hope you’re not shipping the Blue switches USPS. They won’t be able to find you to pick up the shipments!

2 Likes

(1) You did not respond to me about this issue
(2) You did not refund me

2 Likes

What issue are you talking about?

What address did you send your snail mail to?

I just checked our tickets and there are none from you.

1 Like

On February 20, 2022 I sent an email to [email protected] and did not get a response and on April 12, 2022 I sent a letter to 4225W. Main Street, Suite E, Kalamazoo, MI 49006, which was returned to me. As you don’t post a (visible) address on your website, I had to look it up on the internet.
As far as global supply issues, that may well be but there are plenty of Zwave devices available from other manufacturers and in fact I found the Zooz 5-button switch without a problem.
My order of April 4, 2021 !!! was # 11230
Please process refund.

1 Like

1 Like