Integrating Zigbee Canless Lights For Entire Home - Juno Connect

Maybe it has to do with the Zigbee signal strength? Sounds similar to issues I had in general as I was building out my network. I’m hoping to be able to test my two-in-one switch with binding to my Juno connect wafers in the next week or two, but I need to find some focused time to do so.

Not sure if this is the same model, but it looks like these lights may have some other issues. https://www.amazon.com/Juno-WF6C-RD-TUWH-MW/dp/B08QV3S13W/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=EequD&content-id=amzn1.sym.8cf3b8ef-6a74-45dc-9f0d-6409eb523603&pf_rd_p=8cf3b8ef-6a74-45dc-9f0d-6409eb523603&pf_rd_r=P3CBS6P23X04XA10ENGY&pd_rd_wg=EKkVb&pd_rd_r=5799247a-e201-4d2c-ade4-7929f2a66a5f&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mi

Yes, that’s the model. This is an interesting dynamic in the smart home industry. The products are complicated and it’s hard to tell the difference between people complaining because they cannot figure out how to use them vs the product just being bad. I’m hoping it’s more of the former in this case because I have 20 of these installed in my house. :slight_smile: They have been working pretty well for me lately, but it was pretty painful in the beginning.

True, and there are so many variables involved. I’ve seen it go either way, but hopefully they keep working great for you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

On that note, the 4 lights I’ve installed have generally been working well when connected via Z2M.

However, I’ve also been having issues with them occasionally losing connection to Z2M, and thus far the only way I’ve been able to get them to reconnect is a factory reset (which unfortunately resets all of them since they’re on the same circuit). Typically, they seem to work fine for 1-3 weeks, but gradually start losing connection after that.

What’s interesting is that if they’re included in a ZigBee group, the light will still respond to group commands; it’s just individual commands that stop working.

I’ve updated the firmware on my Sonoff 3.0 P-Dongle, and that seemed to help a bit (had around 24 router devices attempting to connect; new firmware increased the capacity for that), but hasn’t fully solved it. Worth noting that my Sonoff dongle is about 10 feet from the lights, with no barriers in betwee, though there is a WiFi AP about 3-4 feet away. No connection issues with other Zigbee devices though.

I’m also a complete novice to making custom zigbee converters, so might have something a bit off there.

I’ll continue to tinker a bit and see if I can resolve it. That said, my understanding is these lights are several years old and, as far as I can tell, haven’t had firmware updates. So it’s possible that their compatibility with the newest Zigbee standards isn’t perfect.

If I continue to have issues, I may swap back to non-smart dimmable wafers on a Blue switch or look into the (significantly more expense) brand new Hue Slim Downlights (link: Hue White and color ambiance Slim Downlight 5/6 inch | Philips Hue) which, as far as I can tell, are the only alternate broadly available Zigbee slim downlights capable of color or color temp.

Recently received a Blue Series 2-in-1 switch and successfully bound these Juno Connect wafers with it in Z2M. The switch and lights are working great together!

Only weird behavior is in HA, where for some reason it’s not consistently registering on/off state changes in the Zigbee group when the switch is used to toggle it as opposed to app/voice/automations. This can cause some weird behavior from Adaptive Lighting or other integrations/automations that rely on on/off states (example: if I turn the lights off with the switch and HA doesn’t register the change, Adaptive Lighting turns them back on during the next “transition” because it thinks they’re still on and it’s sending a turn_on service request with update brightness and color temp values). But I suspect this is something I need to tweak in my Z2M and/or HA settings and not an issue with the bulbs (or switch).

Has anyone used SmartThings to bind multiple Juno Connection lights with their Blue Series 2-1?

Smartthings doesn’t support zigbee groups or binding as far as I am aware. It will only perform a software group which basically just controls all of the grouped items in series, but still as individual devices.

1 Like

I created an account here just to add to the documentation since this seems to be the only place on the internet where discussion of these wafers is happening.

I’m firm on Zigbee/Z-Wave devices for lighting in my house for various reasons and have become accustomed to circadian/adaptive auto adjustment throughout my house. My living room has no ceiling lights, so I was excited to finally have an option for diffuse lighting with these Juno wafers.

I installed a test unit in my utility room and was immediately disappointed. It paired just fine to ZHA via HUSBZB-1 but that was about the only success. My issues:

1. They can’t keep up with frequent updates. Changing brightness and color quickly will eventually end up in the whole thing crashing and becoming unresponsive to further changes until the power is cycled.
  2. They eventually become unresponsive anyway. Home Assistant detects them as unavailable after a few minutes of powering on. Power cycling will bring them back but only momentarily.

I have 25+ tunable bulbs from various manufacturers in my house along with remotes. I’ve never had issues with any Zigbee hardware, honestly. At first I thought this may be an issue with a device limit on my Zigbee adapter, but after removing a bunch of them to test, there was no change. All the bulbs are operating as routers, so I don’t think this is a device limit issue.

I’m in the process of making my smart home user friendly and unreliable devices like this don’t fit. I replaced the test unit with a dumb CCT selectable unit. All of the Hue hardware in my house is rock-solid, so those new color wafers are really interesting to me. $70 each is damn steep though, so I’m hoping there’s a sale or they come out with a much cheaper white tunable version.

1 Like

Sounds like you ran into the same behavior I did when testing these. Unfortunate because otherwise it would make a great pairing. I did end up selecting some Juno Canless Regressed E26 fixtures paired with some Hue bulbs to get reliable smart bulb behavior in a couple select spaces - but they require way more space in the ceiling than the wafer lights.

1 Like

I recently purchased 8 of these to install in my basement, and connected them to my hubitat. I want to like them, but I’m having problems with them. After installing 6 and pairing them to my hubitat, my zigbee network started going offline on the hubitat. Rebooting the hubitat brings it back online, but maybe an hour later it goes down again. Disconnecting some of them from power makes the problem go away, but it’s not one specific light. If I swap the ones that are connected / disconnected, it’s still fine. Only when they are powered does the zigbee network fail.
I had access to a spare hubitat, so I’ve moved those lights to a dedicated hubitat with no other devices on it, and so far the zigbee network for both hubitats has been fine. Unfortunately, I’ve only had the lights paired to the new hub for a day and a half, and already have twice had a light stop responding to commands. Re-pairing one of these is a bit of a pain, since these all being on the same switch means there’s no good way to reset one without resetting all 6.
I had emailed juno support when I first got these, because I didn’t get any pairing/reset instructions with them, and they called me back about 10 days later. I had long since found the pairing info online, but I mentioned these other issues to the support rep in case he had any suggestions. His response was that the lights only work with Alexa, Google Home, and Smartthings, if I’m getting any functionality with them connecting to any other hub it’s basically an accident, and I should not expect them to work at all. Oh well, I didn’t expect much help, and that’s what I got…
At this point, I’m very close to returning all of them and replacing them with the hue slim downlight instead. I hate to spend the extra $$$ for the hue, especially since they only offer the wafer downlight in color, but I can be confident that they will work properly at least.

2 Likes

I had a few lights drop more recently so I thought, why not try smartthings as that’s the officially supported way to use these Juno lights. I bought an Aeotec hub, but was unable to pair. It turns out that due to a firmware update back in October these lights no longer work with smartthings. The issue is known and people are working on it, but that is how it is for now.

I spoke to a tech support person at Juno who said that the Amazon Echo smart home hub is officially supported and works well with these bulbs. I’m tempted to give that a shot.

However, anyone know if the Inovelli two-in-one switch will work with the Amazon Echo? I’m imagining that getting that to work esp with Zigbee binding might be a long shot.

It does pair to the Echo but very basic features (on/off/dim).

Can a Zigbee group be done with Samsung smarthtings? I was able to bind one light to the Blue series switch and it works great, but I have 6 more and can figure out how to group them.

hmm, i was able to pair the lights to smarthings hub v2 maybe back in October, and they still work. Trying to get more than one on the same circuit done was difficult, so i ended up doing it one by running a temporary circuit with a switch just to light the one i was connecting.

I had to cycle power 5 time, then the device popped up to connect, then when it asks to turn off and on, i had to again cycle 5 times.

I was able to get 1 to work, the Endpoint was 8. But cant get more than 1 to work.

I’ve got these working successfully so far in two groups of 4 lights, bound to two different inovelli blue switches.

I’m using home assistant, zha, and a sonoff zigbee stick.

I haven’t experimented with the advanced parameters on the switch yet, to see if I can adjust dimming rate, etc.

@anon640257 or @EricM_Inovelli do either of you have a document about how the blue 2-1 switches are supposed to control a dimmable ZigBee light bound to the switch? Do the various configuration parameters for the switch still apply? When does the switch forward commands it receives to the bound lights?

I’m thinking something like:
When you hold up, send a ZigBee command to increase the level, with a rate determined (how?) by the ___ configuration parameters

These lights suck. No consistency, go offline all the time. Have to factory reset to rejoin. When are we getting a firmware update, lol…

Can you tell us more about your setup? Trying to understand if there is a common element.

I’m running one as a test right now, as my electrician will only install UL listed fixtures in the new house, and these are some of the only UL listed Zigbee lights I can find that are not just bulbs.