Integrating Zigbee Canless Lights For Entire Home - Juno Connect

Thanks Eric, these look great and exactly what I am looking for. How does color temperature look (is it a smooth transition like Hue or a harsh/immediate changeover)?

Also, is your test setup using a Blue switch and Aux switch in 3-way? This is how I was considering setting up the 3 and 4 ways circuits in the new house.

A little off topic, but will the new Aux switches be offered in a 10-pack? I didn’t see that on the preorder screen.

1 Like

I personally think it’s beautiful. They did a nice job.

It’s hard to tell from the video, but I didn’t really notice any jump changing, it’s very smooth.

Yes, exactly :slight_smile:

Inovelli Blue Series 2-1
Inovelli Add-On/Aux Switch

3-Way setup – can also be done in 4-Way, 5-Way, etc.

Ha, quite on topic actually – someone asked that in the project thread:

I’ll definitely explore it now that this has come up!

I expect that ZigBee lights bound to a Blue dimmer in smart bulb mode would be capable of matching the 0-10V dimmer range. Zwave bulbs associated to a Red dimmer should be able to as well.

In those instances, I totally agree. The drawback to limiting yourself to only Z* lights is there are few high-output Zigbee bulbs (hue only just released 1600 lumen) and if there are any Zwave over about 800, I’ve not come across them. There are also few integrated LED fixture options that are smart. I’m just pointing out that 0-10v seems like an untapped market, but at the same time I don’t see people asking about it. My guess is that those types of installs may already have the control system planned

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

I am just starting on my smart home journey. I preordered the blue switched for me whole house and just installed these Juno Connect lights through out my house. Trying to figure out how to control them in home assistant as I wait for the switches to ship.

I got them to show up and connect in Zigbee2mqtt but all it stays is unsupported device. I am assuming I will have to create a custom configuration to get them to fully work. But decided to ask and see how other people did it on the off chance that I am doing something wrong. Maybe someone already created a configuration?

1 Like

Try ZHA. Eric H seemed to get them to show up properly (samsung something or other). If they work on ZHA the handler should be able to be modified for zig2m use by someone way smarter than me (but you could request on the zig2m github).

1 Like

Out of curiosity, did you end up getting these working in zigbee2mqtt? Have some normal led wafer lights that I’m thinking of replacing and don’t (yet) have experience with custom configurations, so trying to estimate how much time and experimentation it’d take to get these working in my existing setup. Thanks!

Yep, I got it working with zigbee2mqtt. I have about 25-30 of them in my house. They work pretty great. Preordered some blue switches so that I can smart turn them on and off.

The config for the can light had a little bit of manual work but nothing hard. I can help you out with that if you end up purchasing them.

Favorite feature is being able to to auto dim and turn color temp warmer as it gets later on in the evening.

3 Likes

Awesome, glad to hear you got that working!

Our existing dumb LED canless downlights claim to be dimmable and I’ve pre-ordered some blue switches to test with them. However, all our easily replaceable bulbs are Zigbee and also adjust color temp throughout the day, so it’d be nice to replace our downlights with devices that can adjust color temp along with them (in addition to control via the blue switches).

I appreciate the offer to help out and might take you up on that if I get some of these and encounter issues. Did you end up going through the steps to support a new device in Zigbee2MQTT or was it something other than that?

EDIT: Picked up a few of these from the local hardware store and got them working tonight after a little manual configuration. So far they’re working great! Thanks for the feedback. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey just want to FYI that these, at least for me, do NOT work with a conbee ii stick inside Home Assistant when using ZHA, DeCONZ, or Z2MQTT. They do however work just fine using the newer Sonoff zigbee 3.0 stick (at least with ZHA).

For those that have these working fine with Z2MQTT, could you submit the code for the “official” list so that others don’t have to deal with manually adding them in?

2 Likes

I am using the Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 stick, so my experience with that combo is consistent with your info.

If no one else already has recently, I did plan to submit the custom converter file I made for z2mqtt, though I’m a complete novice to the process so there might be a few things to work through, heh.

1 Like

I have 8 of the Canless Zigbee lights. When pairing to a Zigbee hub, they show up as:

ABL-LIGHT-Z-001
by Samsung Electronics

I first tried pairing these to Deconz via Conbee II, just like my other 70+ lights which work flawlessly, and although they would pair, after a small amount of time, they’d go offline and become unresponsive within Deconz.

A friend said to try pairing these with Zigbee2MQTT. So, I did this using a separate USB gateway (Sonoff 3.0) in conjunction with Zigbee2MQTT, but I still had some quirks/issues (can’t remember exactly what they were).

Before returning these lights, I figured I’d try one more thing, so, I reconfigured the Sonoff 3.0 gateway to work with ZHA, added these 8 lights to ZHA, and for the most part they are MUCH more stable, and never go offline, but they have one quirk. When you tell them to turn off, sometimes of the 8 lights, maybe 7 will turn off fine and 1 random light will turn off, then turn back on, then turn off, then turn back on, and sometimes will just stay on. It’s quite annoying!

ZHA shows the firmware on these lights is “Firmware: 0x20591539”

Maybe there is a newer firmware to fix this? Has anyone else had this issue and have a solution?

Really I’d love to just use these with Deconz, but oh well. If I have to continue to run this separate Zigbee network and leave these lights joined to ZHA that’s fine, but, would like a better experience.

THANKS!

Create a zigbee group.

I do this in Home Assistant – the 8 lights are contained within a Light Group and I tell the one individual Light Group to turn off.

Are you saying a Zigbee group is different then a Light Group? And if so, how do I create this Zigbee group?

Ahh I’m sorry, that was easy – created a group quite simply. Holy cow the entity name is generates seems crazy:

light.texas_instruments_cc1352_cc2652_z_stack_3_30_build_20220219_living_room_downlights_zha_group_zha_group_0x0002

Anyhow, I will test behavior later and post results. Thanks!

1 Like

To briefly answer this question, yes, they are different.

When you create a group in HA with zigbee devices and issue a command, it sends 1 command for each zigbee entity within the group. So if you have 8 light entities in the group, 8 separate commands are sent.

In comparison, when you create a zigbee group, the zigbee devices in that group save which group they are in. When a command is issued for a zigbee group, only 1 command is broadcast to your zigbee devices and the device itself determines if it needs to act based on the saved group name.

Because of this, using zigbee groups can significantly reduce your zigbee network traffic and improve response. I’d generally stick to making zigbee groups of identical or nearly identical devices though since the command itself won’t be modified to best fit multiple different devices (at least, not to the best of my knowledge).

3 Likes

I’d like to confirm, Zigbee grouping the can lights together is unrelated to Zigbee binding the switch to the lights, right? I have a red series switch I’d like to use to control my Zigbee bulbs, and minimize the popcorn effect.

Correct, grouping and binding are different. Although you can bind to a group.
FYI, your red series switch will not be able to bind to these. They’re speaking 2 different languages. Best you could do with a red switch would be to trigger an automation through your hub that turns on/off the zigbee group. The blue series switch would do the binding and be able to directly control the group.

1 Like

Not perfect, but much better success rate of all lights turning off on the first go-around with the Zigbee Group versus HomeAssistant Light Group! Thanks for the help.

1 Like

@jcharles42 @davbay2

Would either of you mind sharing your zigbee2mqtt configuration for these guys?

I just bought a few and they’re my first zigbee2mqtt devices. I’d love to get them set up with something that works for other folks instead of bumbling around on my own :slight_smile: