Integrating Zigbee Canless Lights For Entire Home - Juno Connect

@jcharles42,

I am in the exact same boat as you, 100%. Clearly there is a firmware issue with these lights. I’ve even been engaged with Juno, and it’s clear that they know of the issues.

The problem is June seems wed to Smartthings and Samsung who I believe did their firmware for them. So I even abandoned Z2M and bought a Smartthings hub. Recent firmware updates there have made even that platform unstable and unable to add more than 25-30 of these lights. It is literally like playing wack-a-mole, you’ve got that right!

Kitchen with 10 downlights took 4-6 hours of trial and error to get all ten paired and addressable on the Aeotec Smartthings hub. I haven’t even gotten to the step of trying to port over to Home Assistant and use adaptive lighting.

Smartthings migration to edge drivers has disabled the ability to do firmware updates OTA, so maybe it could be done via Bluetooth like Hue uses, but even then I’m not sure.

So so frustrated and I’m in for 56 of these in our remodel, so moving over to Hue would be an expensive proposition, but I feel like a year now is long enough, so I’ll probably cut my losses and slowly migrate room by room.

-Jonathan

@jcharles42,
What’s your impression of the light quality out of the Hue lamps?

I think we’re very similar in that CCT and dimming down to 1% was important in my decision tree, and RGB seems unnecessary.

Essentially, high CRI (color rendering index) coupled with CCT control was what drove me to the Juno connect and binding them with Inovelli switches.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Anyone ever get these to work correctly?

I have a couple WC6s and tried to use both ZHA and Zigbee2MQTT. Both seem to be able to pair, and interview the lights, but timeout when trying to do anything with them or even just poll the state. Interestingly in Zigbee2MQTT I can see that the devices is “live” but it just doesn’t do anything. I tried with a few of them to see if it just that one was broken… but they all do the same thing.

Nope. I’ve been in contact with Juno for about a year now. Even to the point where I believe they’re working with Samsung engineers who developed the firmware stack and drivers, they sent me a new SmartThings Aeotec hub to try and still the same issues.

1. Can’t Get Devices to Pair Easily
  2. Once Paired, random devices freeze up and require factory resets/rebuilding the whole damn room
  3. Go back to Problem #1

I have lost hundreds of hours on these, and wish I never bought them for our remodel.
A hard lesson learned.

If they ever get these right, and get their zigbee firmware working right, they’d be great.
Good light output, great feature set. All the features I was looking for.
Just fell short on the connected features.

1 Like

Thanks for the info… you just saved me a ton of hours. I only have a few of them, but to the useless pile they go. The non-zigbee version is what I wound up going with in my office. I assume the light is basically the same. They are very nice. It’s a shame their zigbee implementation sucks.

Reading the posts above was like reliving my own experience.
70+ smart wafers in the house, some of them paired to an Aeotec hub. Some working, some not.
Worked with both Juno and Samsung but we never got everything working like it should have.
Even once you magically get them all paired they never stay connected or working. $30 dumb light

I thought maybe it was SmartThings\cloud based control issues so i was looking at either the Homey Hub or HomeAssistant with a TubesZB POE coordinator.

Looks like i would be wasting my time in either of these pursuits.

Is the final verdict that these are simply not a finished product? So a small integration project with a couple lights is doable but anything more than that is out of the question?

I’ve been in contact with Juno/Acuity with the product management team since January on this exact topic. They’ve acknowledged Zigbeen connectivity issues and stated in the beginning of Feb. that they were putting the finishing touches on a Firmware update to rectify these issues.

So on one hand I have hope that it’s going to be fixed.
On the other, that was ~60 days ago now and it’s been quiet since.

I would say that your verdict to avoid at this moment is correct, but there’s a chance that things get fixed at some point in the future (which is the only reason I haven’t yanked out each and every one of my 84 of them).

I did recently purchase the TubesZB POE MG24 based coordinator, which has enough RAM to support a routing table to route/address each one directly. I was 1/2 thinking of migrating to that and rebuilding my mesh from scratch, but again I’m waiting for that firmware because it may be a light-by-light individually connect via Bluetooth-based update -and the thought of touching these twice, not knowing if its going to finally be fixed is just a bit more than I want to invest timewise right now.

2 Likes

That would be great if it actually happens. Please be sure to post back here if you ever get an actual firmware update.

So you’re saying there’s a chance!

I’ll remain hopeful since I put all these lights in and bought spares for down the road.

Do your light switches get turned off and on regularly?
For example, on a daily basis there are lights that are going to get turned off and on with the switch. However, i may want to make a quick change to the light temperature or brightness. If they could just rejoin when they are powered on, that would be perfect.

I worked with Yan Rodriguez (Acuity) back in December of 22 on this. He was super helpful and got both the smart things and samsung team involved. They rolled back my firmware after an update broke connectivity.
I decided enough time had been wasted and powered it all down until recently.

That TubesZB looks legit, I’ll grab one when they get back in stock.

My biggest gripe with these lights is that they don’t respect the zigbee setting for behavior after a power loss. No matter what, they always turn on. So if my power goes out for 30 seconds in the middle of the night, all my bedroom lights come on.

So far I’ve worked around this issue by wiring them behind a shelly relay with “off after power is restored” behavior, and a home assistant automation that turns the relay on every time I push up on the Inovelli switch paired to these lights. There is nothing that turns the relay off, except a power outage. So if I do lose power, instead of being blinded, I just have to deal with a slight delay the next time I turn the lights on.

I will certainly share if / when I get the promised firmware update. Yeah, I’ve also worked with Yan and the Smartthings / Samsung team. They mentioned others in the same boat as me and it was probably you. Honestly, I hate the Smartthings platform. Left that in 2014 or so, went to Hubitat, then moved on to Home Assistant, and haven’t looked back. I even bought a new Aeotec Smartthings hub being told that was the supported hub with these thinking I could then link HA to smartthings. That works, but since the matter firmware updates to the radio on the hub, it has been awful, and it will only support 40-55 wafers or so before it refused to join any more and even with the smartthings supported platform, the wafers drop/hang/become unresponsive requiring reset.

So right now, most of my expensive, zigbee cct tunable wafers are used in dumb mode where my 2-1 blues are in true on/off mode cutting power.

So I haven’t had the power failure, lights on at full blast at 2:00am when the grid comes back.

Sidebar: I do have the situation where the Zigbee mesh on the smartthings hub gets so broken it causes 2-1’s to reboot shows the blue/yellow sequence then the lights turn off and come back to their previous state. Only happens on the Smartthings hub, never on Home Assistant, both have 20-30 wafers and switches of each on each platform.

1 Like

So glad I found this thread a while ago. I was considering installing 70 of these in a new house, and my test of two worked fine, so I thought I would be ok.
Instead, I am doing 70 Hue, at a much higher price, but I would be very frustrated if I these all not working as had wanted.
And I’m done with SmartThings as well, so that is not the answer.
Hope your efforts do result in a fix here though, they are so promising.

Where’s my Firmware Update, Acuity?

1 Like

So glad I found this thread, I’m in the same boat.

4 Juno RB4AC downlights (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C8BFT37L), and nothing resembling consistency with HA. While I can get HA to see them after a Juno reset, often the pairing doesn’t take, so I need to repeat the process. When it does pair, the lights responding to commands is hit or miss - with mostly a timeout. Network strength is not a concern here.

I called Acuity, and they suggested using the SmartThings app to pair, and then update the software in the SmartThings app. They also mentioned that they were not aware of any new firmware update.
This updated the software version for each light from 31191539 to 35191539 / 1.0.0-E2.0.25. I Googled these software versions but could find nothing online about these updates.

I saw no improvement after these updates.

I’m about to rip out all of them and see if I can smuggle the Philips tiltable versions out of the UK for me in the US: Hue Centura recessed LED spotlight – White | Philips Hue UK

@robs @simnick Do you have any updates on the Wiz lights? Working well?

The Centura is actually just a gimbal fixture and a separate GU10 bulb. See “Includes GU10 LED bulb”. It only outputs 350lm. You can buy those bulbs in the US, and get a separate fixture for it. It was not bright enough for my uses.

Regarding the Wiz lights, my house is still under construction, so I only have my one sample running. If you need color+temp+tiltable, that model does not appear to be for sale to consumers, and you have to go through a professional lighting supply house. The color temp model can be bought under a slightly different name “SPEX” from Home Depot. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Liteline-SPEX-Lighting-4-in-Tunable-White-New-Construction-Smart-WiFi-Connected-by-WIZ-Integrated-LED-White-Trim-Gimbal-Fixture-SL4-12RG-90WH-WZ/320560486

My testing has been good so far with Home Assistant, and I’ve done lots of stress testing with automated changes to find issues and it has been fine. However, an issue like this Juno where it breaks with many would not have shown up yet. But asking around, folks have pretty good luck with Wiz, and it is actually Phillips as well. But it uses WiFi, so it depends on your WiFi setup. Lighting quality is very good.

2 Likes

These look cool, but I think it’s a fixture + bulb since it says “includes GU10 bulb”. So you could use any tiltable fixture with a GU10 bulb to achieve the same results. I’ve got vaulted ceilings and this may be ideal.

1 Like

@MRobi and @simnick

Thanks for the replies. Quite frankly, I was willing to pay for the Philips quality of connection found in their Hue lights; and hoped the Centura would have that…the Junos have wasted any patience I had. I presume there is some other secret sauce in the Centura product to achieve this?

Yeah, I missed the 350lms. Ooof. The Junos are 700lmns…although that’s white. The colors seem to be drastically less bright.

I guess I’m back to the drawing board…unless I’ve missed an option somewhere?

1. 4" round
  2. Recessed
  3. Tiltable/Gimbal
  4. RGB
  5. Zigbee or Z-Wave (local, not cloud)
  6. Reasonably bright
  7. Available in the US

I suppose I could go wi-fi if there really are no other options.

Thanks for the information!

Almost no one rates lumens in RGB, in fact you can’t really do it. Hue rates lumens at 4000k white, and sometimes at 2700k as well.

1 Like

After you did the update in smartthings, and re-connected to HA, did you see any change in the reported firmware version in HA?

Are you using ZHA or Z2M?

I’m on ZHA, using the 6" juno lights. HA shows

If I go to “Manage Zigbee Device”, where I can see individual cluster commands, on the OTA cluster, wheen I read the attribute current_zigbee_stack_version I get 2, and when I read current_file_version I get 542709049 (which is equal to 0x20591539, one is just in base 10 and the other in base 16).

In the “Basic” cluster I see that when I read sw_build_id I get “v1.0”, but none of the other attributes seem to have anything meaningful in it.