Light will not dim

I have a light that was purchased from Home Depot that has built in LEDs. I have previously been able to dim this light with a Wemo dimmer that I just replaced with an Inovelli 2-1 Blue Series dimmer. The switch is installed with a neutral wire.

When in dimmer mode and selecting either single pole or Sine Wave, the bulb reacts to dimming by briefly changing intensity, but then stabilizes at full brightness. This is consistent down to about 4-10% brightness where the light then goes into an output state where it is fully bright, then dies, then jumps back to full bright and then dies at a rate of about 1Hz. I can also see that at all dimming levels the power output is around 20W.

It seems to me that the dimmer is maintaining 20W of power regardless of the voltage input. Somehow, the wemo dimmer was able to communicate to this light that it should be dimming and it worked perfectly. Perhaps the light is counting on the signal to be degraded in the traditional analog dimmer “trashed sine wave” before it will regulate the output of the light?

The model of the LED driver is XPSDWP450FM11, but I do not have the exact model of the light fixture. The following is a picture of the driver.

IMG_1014

Based on the way this LED driver is responding, I do not believe a bypass would be effective. Is there some setting that I am missing that could help me dim this light properly?

You are fighting a bit of a losing battle as the dimmer is not designed or rated for a transformer load, which is likely why it is not working properly.

Unfortunately, you are correct, a bypass won’t help.

1 Like

Thank you for the info. I think this means I will be swapping this switch back to the Wemo hardware so I can use the dimmer.

What about this lets you know that it is a transformer load?

The input is 120VAC and the output is 36VDC. In other words, it is taking in normal household AC voltage and outputting a lower DC voltage.