Live going through light bulb and switched neutral in non neutral setup

@Wicks - It definitely is weird at 56%, but it may be due to the bottle neck of the bypass. IDK…weird for sure.

May I ask what wattage incandescent bulb did you use? I found with low wattage incandescent issues can occur in a non-neutral installation.

In addition, I don’t recall any non-neutral issues causing Z-Wave connection issues although I don’t use smart things. @EricM_Inovelli

@JohnRob, I used a 25W incandescent bulb. The only one lying around the house. I have got rid of the incandescent bulbs a while back.
Thanks,
Wicks.

@JohnRob I will try without the Lutron Bypass and also try with the Aeotec Bypass once it arrives. If there’s anything else you want me to try, please let me know.
Thanks,
Senaka.

Well now I understand, lol. Obviously not an easy task if you can even find the box.

In the testing I did for myself I found an old 25W red “party” light. It did not fare well with the red dimmer. Remember the Red dimmer needs to be powered or else you could not turn it on. So it “steals” some power from the load even when the load is off. And sometimes the power it “steals” enough power that the light comes on. This is NOT a design flaw of the dimmer rather the physics of current semiconductors at this time.

BTW I do not work for Inovelli (or any other hardware maker). I just got interested in the topic and enjoy being able to help people.

John

@JohnRob, @harjms, @Bry thank you for your help. I was able to resolve my issue. As we talked earlier, I removed the Lutron bypass capacitor and tried without any capacitor. It was worse with flickering issues and the dimmer wouldn’t power down. Then I installed the Aeotec bypass capacitor. Everything started working well. When I power off the lamp it powers off completely now. I’m also able to use the entire dimming range up to 99%. However with Aeotec bypass the bulb completely turns off below 25% setting. This not an issue for me. Atleast the Aeotec bypass has a much broader range of dimming and completly turns off the lamp when switched off (I’m using the CREE 60W E26/A19 from the list). So there’s a difference between the Lutron and Aeotec Bypass.

@Eric_Inovelli, looks like Aeotec is the only suited Bypass for innovelli dimmers. It is also twice the price as competitors capacitors. I worries me a bit that if Aeotec has difficulties with its supply chain, it will become difficult to get them or pay a premium on eBay for them. I’d like to suggest Innovelli to start looking at a producing their own Bypass capacitors.

Thanks,
Wicks.

1 Like

@Wicks - With the firmware version you’re running (assuming stock) the max brightness you’ll want to go is 80%. It’s been documented plenty by various users about anything over 80% the dimmer will shut down similar to self protect.

Also recommend setting your min brightness to 25%.

@harjms, Yes, I’m running stock firmware. The current max brightness is set at 80%. Figured out it was the happy place for the dimmer to function. I will set the minimum to 25%. Thank you for letting me know.

Wicks.

1 Like