Local protection not working from Home Assistant

No change, sadly.

Firmware Change-log: LZW30-SN - On/Off Switch (Red Series) (inovelli.com)

Only other thing I can think of is try updating the firmware to 1.22. 1.21 had a bug that affected the protection set command for home assistant users. It doesn’t sound like it affected populating the drop down list, but it may be related. :man_shrugging:

@MRobi and others, are you testing with a Red Series LZW30-SN or a Black Series LZW30. I believe @albert is using a Black Series, correct?

That is correct. The black should still support local protection, but there’s something making it not read the 3 modes.

I did find this in the zwavejs github
LZW30-SN unable to view correct or change local protection via zwavejs or zwavejs2mqtt · Issue #3252 · zwave-js/node-zwave-js (github.com)

Looks like the firmware does not correctly report the protection states to zwavejs, which would be why it’s not working.
@albert what happens if you switch those “Unknown” states? Does it actually switch the protection mode? Ultimately it doesn’t matter how it’s displayed in the automation code as long as it’s functional. If it does actually enable protection, you’d be able to have your automation select “unknown (0x09)” for example.

It sometimes works. It usually works to lock out local operation (No Operation Possible or Protection by Sequence), but unlock (Unprotected) works much less reliably.

I’ll try the firmware update! Can anyone share the link to where to find the files? I think I have the software to load it installed on my other computer, but the FW files themselves are harder to locate…

1 Like

Maybe this is it?

https://files.inovelli.com/firmware/LZW30-SN/Beta/

That’s the link for the Red Series, if you have the LZW30 Black Series switch, this is the link you want -

https://files.inovelli.com/firmware/LZW30/Beta/

1 Like

Firmware V1.22 of the black series switch actually fixes a bug with the local/remote protection.

V1.22 - 05/10/2021

Bug Fixes

Fixed the bug that the V1 version of Protection Set Command would cause RF state of Protection to become enabled. This mostly affected Home Assistant users as it is still using V1 of this command class.

I have updated all three of my problem switches to 1.22 and re-tested both the “Set value of a Z-Wave Value” and “select.select_option” methods. Neither works to unlock the switches. :’(

I did notice an alert here: Alerts – Home Assistant

My Z-Wave stick is a Zooz ZST10 and is running fw 2.3 I’m not sure if I’m affected by that problem, especially since my stick is at least a few years old… I’ll look into it more, but upgrading the LZW30s to 1.22 did not solve the problem.

Unlikely. Based on the zwavejs github post I found, users were still reporting this issue with v1.22. The issue is in how the switch is encoding the possible protection states and how zwavejs is interpreting it. Unfortunately there doesn’t appear to be a fix possible on the zwavejs side, only through a firmware fix on the device. I know there’s a few things in the works with Inovelli to try to get their manufacturer back on board to support firmware fixes for these devices, unfortunately until that happens I don’t think there’s a fix that will get this working for you. Sorry to make you jump through hoops, wish I had found the github thread earlier.

No worries at all! I truly appreciate the assistance!

Do you think I could use the ZWaveJS2MQTT add-on to control things in Home Assistant instead of the regular Z-Wave JS add-on? Or would that have the same issue?

If you turn off zjs server add-on and install/configure the zjs2m server, HA should see the same nodes/devices, the server add-on’s are interchangeable.

I went back and forth a few times before fully committing to ZJS2M for the UI.