LZW31-SN as on/off switch

I set parameter 22 to 0 as recommended. Found something very strange. With the light off and the dimmers page open in the ST’s app, I tap up on the switch and the light turns on. The app still shows the light as off(doesn’t matter how long i wait). If I press up again the app now shows the correct state. Then I tap down and both the app and light show off. This is repeatable. This explains why if I tap up, light turns on, then tap down nothing happens.

@stu1811 just to give you a point of reference. I don’t see that. It works as expected for me, but I’m using Hubitat, not SmartThings.

Setting the “Smart Bulb Mode” (Parameter 52) disables the dimming function on the directly connected load, but the LED status bar still dims and the switch still reports dimming events and levels to the hub. But the directly connected light turns full on / full off with tap up / tap down like a non-dimming switch.

What other parameters do you have set? Non neutral or neutral?

I excluded the device, performed factory reset, paired, configured params, and now it seems to be working.

Edit: It still reboots every now fairly often

1 Like

Have you updated the firmware in the switch? Note that some of the Inovelli firmware updates have TWO files you need to flash to the switch. (a .otz file and a .bin file)

Switch was a recent purchase and came with 1.47 firmware. I did not flash it yet. Thought about trying the 1.48. And yes I know there are 2 chips.

I would use the config options inside of SmartThings and not use the config button to program the switch. Plus, if you set the config parameter and then do the inclusion it is likely the config parameter will be overwritten.

For the rebooting that is something I haven’t seen. I wonder if using a different bulb would make a difference.

I’ll search around for some different bulbs. I plan on buying a bypass to try with my legs. I reset all the config options after pairing.

Sounds good, let us know how it goes.

@EricM_Inovelli Bypass came in today. Tried both the incandescent and the an led and got the same behavior for both bulbs. When I turn on the circuit the switch powers up, the light bulb flashes on for a split second then the switch reboots. Can someone verify i wired the bypass correctly? From what I understand I connect the bypass between the hot and neutral on either side of the light. LED is a GE relax.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-Relax-60-Watt-EQ-A19-Warm-White-Dimmable-LED-Light-Bulb-4-Pack/1000444891

Edit: Same behavior with Phillips, utilitech, cree LEDs.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-60-Watt-Equivalent-A19-Dimmable-with-Warm-Glow-Dimming-Effect-Clear-Glass-LED-Light-Bulb-Soft-White-2700K-2-Pack-556878/311192945

Edit 2: Any chance updating to the 1.48 FW will fix my issues? I forget what changed between 1.47 and 1.48.

Wiring is correct. On the switch side it should be white to the Line and black to the Load.

@Bry I’ll verify tonight but I’m 99.9% sure that’s how it wired

Update for the night. @Bry verified white is in line and black is load.

Updated target 0 to 1.48 from 1.47 fw. Controller software reads back 1.48 fw on device but ST still says 1.47 on summary page. I had to reset non-neutral and load only config options via ST web interface. Switch is behaving better (with incandescent bulb and no bypass) but still reboots after cycling on and off several times. I tried all my bulbs again with the bypass and they all boot loop indefinitely. I’m at a loss what do do with the bypass.

Just for fun I connected a neutral and the switch worked without any issues. So it’s something with the non-neutral configuration.

1 Like

@EricM_Inovelli any suggestions what to try next? I read through a bunch of non-neutral config posts and someone suggested a second bypass? I’m also going to order one of the cree light bulbs on the confirmed working list.

We are discussing with the manufacturer. They have been on holiday so we are just waiting to hear back from them.

Edit: I think you may be on that PM with them.

1 Like

Whoa.

Hold on.

Are you serious? The switch no longer requires disable local control and the switch on 99% all the time and no LED bar control?

I had no idea, but this is literally the largest request I still had outstanding. ALL of my 31-SN’s that are controlling smart bulbs have local control disabled and show the full LED bar always (even when lights are off).

So smart bulb mode essentially disconnects the dimmer from controlling the load, but the switch operates normally otherwise?

Edit: I’m back because now ST won’t let me change the “Disable Local Control” from Yes to No within the new app. I did find some blanked lines in the DTH:

@EricM_Inovelli any ideas? I was able to modify the parameter in ST IDE so good to test, but kind of weird the app isn’t letting me change (when I select the parameter it says No or Yes, I pick No and it stays Yes in the setting???).

Kev, try and keep up, lol.

I can change mine back and forth just fine. On the 9/21/20 DH. Maybe something got jacked in your DH? Reload it?

1 Like

Now that I am home it works fine. Hrmmm…

My lzw31-sn doesn’t like to take settings from the ST app. I’ve been using the web interface. I’m using the 9/21 device handler. I have mine setup to pull from GH so it shouldn’t be a copy paste error.

@EricM_Inovelli do you have any updates on this issue? I haven’t seen any traffic in the PM with manufacturer.