LZW31-SN not giving a good experience with Smart Light (Philips Hue)

@harjms you have a dimmer associated to an illumin and the led bar works? Smartbulb enabled? Local control disabled? Can you post your params? I have yet to get this to work.

Thank you. Would be possible to expand the min and max range to accomplish that feature and change local control to the behavior we’re expecting. Ie in your case you would see min and max to 100%.

@stu1811 - So 3/4 right…I will agree with you that the LED bar does not work. I haven’t gotten it to sync between the bulbs. I’ve tried the associations and setting up a rule to match, but didn’t work.

The portions I do have working is Smart Bulb enabled, local control disabled, Association Group 3 and 4. The LED stays lit at 100% of the time. Press switch up, bulb(s) turn on. Press switch down, bulb(s) turn off. Press and hold, the dims or brightens. I can double tap up to turn on and to color teal (they’re in wife’s office).

1 Like

@harjms that’s what I have working too

Right, I want the LED bar to match the bulb state, but pass through voltage 100% of the time.

Right now this is 99% there, it’s just when the switch is OFF that it kills the smart bulb. This then proceeds to KILL my z-wave network because my ilumin is a node that repeats and is used as a transfer point for nodes further away.

I understand ALL of the above features, but when the bulbs are off at night time and the LED bar is at 50% brightness and 100% lit, it’s WAY too bright to sleep with when you have 3-4 of them in immediate visual range from the bed.

Again I will request via firmware upgrade, can we make it so that when SMART BULB MODE is engaged (regarless of local control setting), when the switch is turned off (level 0) the switch continues to supply power to the bulb.

ALTERNATIVELY, as a much, much less ideal option we could get an option for ilumin to disable it reporting as a repeating node, so that when it is off, it doesn’t disrupt z-wave mesh.

@kreene1987 I was thinking about this last night and came up with a possible solution. If you connect the load wire to the second line port on the switch, it will always get 120V. Then the don’t need to set smart bulb mode or disable local control and the LED bar will work. Depending how the kids are tonight I will test this on my workbench.

*Caveats
1-Requires zwave association
2-Will not work in non-neutral
3-Power reporting will always be zero

I can confirm via other members that this does work 100% as you say. My issue is that I use the power levels as an input for occupied state alongside motion sensors and other items (similar to bengali’s rooms manager from ST).

Definitely not ideal, but yes, a workaround for sure. This is actually exactly how the Fan/Light switch works by design, but they did get the power/energy working (inside the canopy unit).

I also want to be VERY clear that this is not a deal-ender or anything critical to me, it’s a simple feature request. I am heavily invested in Inovelli/Ilumin and I just am noting an inconvenience where I am running into an issue every few days that is frustrating to my home members. The z-wave mesh is able to recover without the bulb (self-healing), but it doesn’t “feel” like it is working 100%.

Love Inovelli, love that I can communicate with them in this forum, and would love to understand if this issue could be resolved.

1 Like

@kreene1987 you’re assuming people turn off lights :joy:

This is a sneak peek of our Christmas sweater lineup – here’s my sweater :wink:

As for the LED bar matching the level – now that the LED strip is done, we’ve asked the manufacturer to start working on the alternate firmware that addresses this issue.

I guess I’m a bit confused here – if you have smart bulb mode on (or local control on) and the bulbs are associated with Groups 2 & 4, you should be able to turn the bulb off and the node still works. I have this setup with 3 bulbs outside that are associated to a switch in my house.

I think the part we’re missing is the Z-Wave Dimming commands being sent in real-time, correct? I can promise we’re not trying to mince words or lead people down the wrong path – this topic has been the thorn in my side for a while and I want to make sure we get it right.

@EricM_Inovelli – can you chime in here so we can make sure to explain this to Gaolin?

1 Like

Absolutely the switch node works, but the bulb shows dead or offline or whatever “not responding” is in z-wave world.

So the switch switches off, but if the bulb is powered by the switch (not only by association), then you lose the bulbs as a node/repeater until the switch is turned on again. This is typical of any settings except disable local control.

Hopefully I’m making sense. If not I can make a video of the specific issue.

If you only turn on smart bulb mode and turn the switch off it cuts power to the light. This is easy to replicate if you wire a smart bulb in parallel with an incandescent. Since the smart bulb looses power it messes with the zwave network.

Ok, I see this use-case now – if you have a smart bulb wired in parallel with a non-smart bulb. Yes, in this case you wouldn’t want to disable local control bc your non-smart bulb would not turn off, however, if you do not disable local control (ie: normal switch), it would cut power to your smart bulb.

That part makes sense. I honestly didn’t think of that use-case.

@kreene1987 – is this what you have in your setup? A non-smart bulb mixed with a smart bulb?

Because if you only have a smart bulb, the switch shouldn’t be cutting power to that bulb if you enable local protection and setup the switch via Associations.

Again, sorry guys, I don’t know why this is so hard for me to comprehend, but I can promise you we’re going to figure it out!

I do not have any in mixed service, but agree with the conceptual issue.

If I do this, it works as desired EXCEPT the bar stays at 100% regardless of light dim state, so when we are going to bed and we switch off ALL of our dimmers, then we have 4 in our bedroom shining at 50% brightness and level 100%, which is basically a flashlight at night for our room. I could potentially change it to a delayed bar off strategy, but we really like the daytime brightness as-is.

As far as I am aware when disable local control is on the level of the switch cannot be changed to “off” and keep power flowing.

I actually just answered this concern in another thread:

LZW31-SN, Smart Bulb Mode, and Philips Hue bulbs - Home Assistant - Inovelli Community

2 Likes

@Eric_Inovelli Great sweaters. Thought I would share mine . . .

3 Likes

Blockquote
No, it is a change that I have been trying to push through since September. To leave power output at 100% even when the dimmer gets “turned off”.

If this happens then you folks will get all my money…

Well, whatever is leftover after my wife gets done with it.

Your attention to this is very much appreciated, if everything works out you can be sure that I for one will recommend the Red Series as the best Z-wave dimmers currently available.

1 Like

Ok, that is all I needed to know that it was going to be done ! I don’t mind waiting a little bit and test beta firmware, but I’m bothered spending thousand of dollar on simple switch that can’t give me a much better experience than my simple switch I had before :wink:

Here is my wish list as well : A fallback mode to dummy switch would be nice if the Z-Wave hub is not responding (So the light could still turn on or off using the local ‘relay’).

The icing on the cake would be to have a way to have a non z-wave light sync while the button is bring pressed. Right now, it only send the status update of the level % when you let go of the switch. If it send % update every x number of millisecond (No idea what would be acceptable time), then we could provide the smart light progress % level for the user to see. (There might be latency… I have no idea how slow z-wave / hubitat / hue hub are !)

Another solution with Hubitat, would be to create an app that monitor the press and release of the key itself, and have it own memory and do the dimmer process in Hubitat and send the % level to the Smart Light. This can be written right now, but what we can’t do is send the % level to the switch, and then the switch could continue to display the dimmer level using it led like if it was dimming it itself.

I feel that second method might be the most versatile option which would only require adding to the switch the mode to display the progress level with the LED light, and smart light + disable local control would does the job. Then most of the work would be inside the Hubitat Apps that would handle all the general switch experience and light control (display progress, show the dim bar when off, and close the led bar when light are open). Again, having a fallback to on/off of the ‘relay’ would still be nice if the Z-Wave hub is not responding.

1 Like

I’ll add that I just notice that my Philips Hue light bulb are lighting a dim blue and flashing while the Inovelli light witch is configured and connected with a neutral and in Smart Bulb Mode and the light switch is at off.

I’ve made a video of what it does if you are interested ! But that scary that his might be damaging those damn expensive light bulb now !!!

It actually another reason smart light should not be powered off in smart light mode !

Yep, I was thinking a standard LED with power cut by the dimmer. If your line and load are both attached to the Inovelli, you can temporarily move the line conductor on the switch to the the second line hole, effectively bypassing the switch. See if you still have the same issue.

1 Like