LZW36 Fan/Light Switch Canopy Module Disconnection Issues

Are you on beta firmware? It still hasn’t been released as a feature that I’m aware of for stable releases on ST.

@kreene1987 I am on the beta program, but am currently on the latest release. Since the May update I haven’t had to exclude any non S2 z wave device to update unless I screwed up the process, I shut off the ST hub after firmware update, factory reset the switch and turn the ST hub back on, power cycle the switch, if the device isn’t happy I use the replace feature in ST Classic app and no rebuilding of automations (most of the time).
-I add the Zstick in the system as a secondary controller and go through the normal processes of node info primary controller, node info of device I’m updating, Basic on /off to make sure I can communicate. Then move to OTA window, Get from Device to be updated, drop the firmware file in the Update, watch for Blue LED pulsing to confirm communication. Test install with Basic on/off again then follow the above resetting procedure. Ensure that the hub is off line prior to resetting the switch.*
After this procedure it will show in the IDE as well as the classic app that the firmware has been updated. I have had to run the update a couple times on occasion for the whole file to transfer. So far with 30+ Z wave Plus devices I run a Z wave repair daily and watch for trouble nodes and it usually completes the repair in 2 minutes.

Hey all - if you have Hubitat and are having these issues, @bcopeland has confirmed that the .gbl file can now be flashed to Target 0.

Results are looking promising from people who have flashed this firmware when it first came out on Friday, so I feel confident in deploying this first with people who have Z-Sticks (non-Hubitat) or people who have Hubitat and know how to use Bryan’s Firmware updater.

If they continue to be successful, we will roll out the Z-Stick program early this week.

So, anyone who has Hubitat and wouldn’t mind flashing this, can you try it and let us know?

Also, @Hoveeman, @DTrident and anyone else I missed that has the newest firmware, you guys still good with no disconnects?

3 Likes

I’M STILL CONNECTED!!! Over 2.5 days in with the default power settings of 10,3600,10. I never made it this far with the default settings. So this firmware is looking like it fixed the issue. Thank you very much!

Time to celebrate!

2 Likes

I reached 72 hours as of this morning without any disconnect issues with this firmware

3 Likes

In process now, will update when done and as to how its functioning. I will re-install the second LZW36 and flash to this firmware. Keep you posted @Eric_Inovelli and @EricM_Inovelli.

I just got the firmware updated on my two units and I can say for sure that they are playing much nicer. Seemed like I needed to change a value, hit save preferences, then put the value back and resave once but after that they lights/fans have been stable.

Way too soon to tell but I can say its an immediate improvement!!!

Just updated one of my switches via @bcopeland 's driver in Hubitat. FYI - this took almost an hour to complete and finished with a message that stated:

firmwareUpdateProgress : FAILED: The transferred image does not match the Manufacturer ID

However, the update appears to be successful as the version reported is now 1.34. I’ll re-enable power reporting and monitor it’s stability over the next day or so.

Update: Two more switches updated (one freshly installed). All have power monitoring enabled at default values.

1 Like

I was able to update to 1.34 via @bcopeland 's driver as well.

In terms of communication with the canopy module it does seem to be improved. Even with the power monitoring enabled I can send multiple commands in succession without losing the connection. That would not happen with 1.31.

I am experiencing an odd issue with my light LED however. Since the update the light LED dims properly when the light is dimmed, but when the light is switched to OFF the LED all of a sudden jumps up to 100%. The light turns off fine and Hubitat shows it as off but the LED looks the same as when the light is on 100%. The fan LED works as expected and is off when the fan is off. I looked through the preferences for the device driver to see if I had anything set that could cause the light LED to turn on when the light was off but I couldn’t find anything.

1 Like

I am running the update on Hubitat using @bcopeland’s driver above. It took just under 10 minutes to upload the new firmware to my first LZW35, and it has been sitting with this status message for almost 20 minutes now:

firmwareUpdateProgress : Complete device is flashing…

Is the device still flashing, or did it finish and the “complete” message over-wrote the “flashing” message?

Someone posted that the process took an hour for them. Was the bulk of the time waiting for the switch to do its thing? Just wondering if my ~10 minute upload and prior multi-day effort trying to lock up the canopy connection is also what others with more frequent canopy disconnects also saw…or if it really did take an hour for just the upload phase for those with more frequent disconnects pointing to a Z-Wave mesh/congestion issue???

When you receive that message it’s done… That’s the last message the device will send during the update progress

2 Likes

Following up on my own post, it appears that the update was completed. After changing back to the Inovelli driver, I had to click on the “Configure” button in Hubitat before the updated version number was displayed.

FWIW, I cannot re-create @gmf’s reported lighting anomaly above.

Flashing my other installed LZW36 now…

How are you doing OTA firmware updates on SmartThings? I know that ST supports Zigbee OTA, but didn’t think it was capable of ZWave OTA. And 7 days ago, @Eric_Inovelli indicated that OTA for ST, at least for Inovelli devices, was not yet available.

I just tried it one day and it worked, not sure but the following is what I have been doing. I am on the beta program, but am currently running latest release, not beta firmware on the hub. Since the May update I haven’t had to exclude any non S2 z wave device to update unless I screwed up the process, I shut off the ST hub after firmware update, factory reset the switch and turn the ST hub back on, power cycle the switch, if the device isn’t happy I use the replace feature in ST Classic app and no rebuilding of automations (most of the time).
-I add the Zstick in the system as a secondary controller and go through the normal processes of node info primary controller, node info of device I’m updating, Basic on /off to make sure I can communicate. Then move to OTA window, Get from Device to be updated, drop the firmware file in the Update, watch for Blue LED pulsing on switch to confirm communication. Test install with Basic on/off again then follow the above resetting procedure. Ensure that the hub is off line prior to resetting the switch.
After this procedure it will usually show in the IDE as well as the classic app that the firmware has been updated. I have had to run the update a couple times on occasion for the whole file to transfer and air gap it. It has worked on my Zooz switches as well. So far with 30+ Z wave Plus devices I run a Z wave repair daily and watch for trouble nodes and it usually completes the repair in 2 minutes if all is well. Usually run a few z wave repairs back to back without any errors. When I add devices I try to not add them into automations or associations right away, allow the mesh to get used to the new set up(a few hours to a day sometimes, longer waits have resulted in less hassles). I have only been successful with S0 security devices as that is mostly what i run with associations.

1 Like

I guess you’re doing the OTA in the new “Connect” app? I’m in the “when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Classic app” club. In fact, I’ve frozen Classic at 2.17 and I have never run the Connect app. I’m good for now, lol.

Sounds like it’s not purely through ST, but still uses PC controller and Z-stick.

1 Like

@Bry I much prefer the Classic App the Replace isn’t Available in the new app. The actual process is via PC Controller and the V3 ST Hub, I am using the latest version of PC Controller it has nothing to do with either apps.
Basically the second controller is sending the firmware, the ST hub, primary controller, is just the middle man allowing everybody to get along.
Technically I guess its not “ST OTA” but is an OTA solution that I found works. If you read the docs on PC Controller it is quite a powerful tool and you get a better understanding of what is going on in the Z wave network and how to utilize the tools available. ** Use with caution it can also mess with the network if not set right **

1 Like

Well, I have been considering buying a hubitat… but…

FYI - i tried homeseer’s Z-Flash software - which until this point has been a waste of money - and it is still a waste of money - it will not accept the gbl file. Hopefully work still is in progress to get us a .hex file. :slight_smile:
Thanks!

It was working great throughout fri/sat, but yesterday I could not get it to connect. Reset the breaker, fan light was flashing, so I did the pair to module. One flash green on switch, but the fan light continued to pulse, with no control after it stopped. Module is no more than 12-15ft away from switch.

Are you seeing the same problem on the new firmware?, or is what you’re describing different than before?