LZW36 Fan/Light Switch Canopy Module Disconnection Issues

Please only answer this if you have the following issue:

Manual control of your switch does nothing to turn on/off the fan and/or lights, however, it does still report the status to your hub.

If you do not have this specific issue, please start a separate thread as we do not want to confuse the data-points.

Hey all,

Here’s where we’ll collect any information important to the issue we’re seeing with the light switch losing communication with the fan canopy module as noted here:

First, terribly sorry for this issue – this was presented to the manufacturer early on in the beta process and they claimed to have fixed it and even said they had 20 modules running for two weeks straight with commands being sent to/from the switch to the module with no issues. So, we do not think it is an RF issue at this point. What we are interested in understanding is around the hardware used with the canopy.

Here are the questions we have:

• What Fan (Make/Model) do you have? This is important.
  • Does your fan have pull-chains or is it remote operated? (If pull-chain, make sure to set it to high)
  • What wiring schematic are you following? Schematics can be found here: LZW36 Wiring Schematics – NOTE: Please let us know if you have any alternate wiring
  • How far from the canopy module is your switch?
  • What is the estimated temperature in your house?
  • Can you give pics of the canopy installation (show how it’s sitting in the canopy and how it’s wired?
  • Do you have any access points near the fan?
  • Would you consider your 2.4 GHz network large or overworked?

If we come up with any other questions or you can think of any, please let us know. The manufacturer is also actively monitoring this thread and may jump in as well.

1 Like

BETA UNIT

• Make/Model: Home Decoration Collections (Home Depot), Mercer 52" Model #54725
  • Pull Chain/Remote: Remote operated
  • Wiring Schematic: Power Goes Into Fan Box, scenario 3
  • Distance From Canopy: ~10 ft
  • Temp: 60-70 during beta run, 70-90 currently. freezing seems more frequent now

Module stops responding almost daily, doesn’t matter if fan or light is on or off, air gap does not fix the issue, only breaker reset counting to 10 between flipping off and on. Flipped breaker quickly once and the issue was not solved.

• What Fan (Make/Model) do you have? Hunter Discovery Home Depot Link
  • Does your fan have pull-chains or is it remote operated? Pull chain - Light is on and Fan is on High
  • What wiring schematic are you following? Power Goes into Switch Box
  • How far from the canopy module is your switch? 6ft - Measured with a tape measure - I also have the antenna poking out the bottom of the canopy. You can see a picture below with a red arrow where the antenna hangs out.
  • Temperature in room? 76 Degrees Fahrenheit (Room across the hall works fine)

Pulling the airgap on the switch fixes the issue temporarily. It will respond to commands for a minute then lose communication. I also installed another switch in the bedroom across the hall and it has stayed connected the whole time. Same wiring schematic. Different fan though. Chandelier Fan

Make/Model: Hunter Fan Type T - Model #21416
Pull Chain/Remote: Pull strings fan and light, both on high & on
Wiring Schematic: Power Goes Into Fan Box, scenario 3
Distance From Canopy: ~9 ft (tried antenna inside and outside of metal top)

Room Temperature - 73-77 degrees throughout the day

Never got a connection from switch to canopy. Switch blinks bright green, but pulsing keeps happening at light/canopy.

I also have a Ubiquiti AP about 20 ft from the switch, similar to @Hoveeman - I tried disabling it but same result. No connection

Black to black hot
Whites tied out
Blue to black/white light wire
Red to black fan

• What Fan (Make/Model) do you have? Hampton Bay Bercello Estates II, has ceramic canopy
  • Does your fan have pull-chains or is it remote operated? No pull chains
  • What wiring schematic are you following? Power into switch box
  • How far from the canopy module is your switch? 11 feet
  • What is the temperature in your house? House kept at 77F during the day with A/C on
  • How many LZW36s installed in house? 1

Switch is in a plastic duplex switch box shared with a GE add-on switch used in a 3-way light. Separate neutral circuit though.

Can restore connection by turning off breaker, not by using airgap. Switch always responds to commands from Hubitat, Alexa and Lutron Pico remote regardless of connection to canopy module.

I don’t have a picture of it sitting in the bracket but it’s in there like others with this type of fan mount and in the same place as the original remote module. The antenna hangs down into the canopy.

fan

@Eric_Inovelli Temp in bedroom 73 degrees F

Update just notice the light also pulses randomly and while ramping up and down during turning light on or off and just while on. 1130 pm.

Fan Location Bedroom #1

Installed First no disconnection with canopy observed until 3 days later after installation of 3rd location.

Fan Location Office

• What Fan (Make/Model) do you have? Hunter 28037
    https://www.amazon.com/Hunter-28037-44-Inch-Auberville-Bronze/dp/B00288CFTG
  • Does your fan have pull-chains or is it remote operated? Pull Chain Operated Set to High
  • What wiring schematic are you following? Power Goes Into Fan Box - Scenario #3: Switch Used for Turning On Both Fan & Lights (No Pull-String Used)
  • How far from the canopy module is your switch? 7 ft

Installed 2nd no disconnection with canopy observed until 26 hours later after installation of 3rd location.

Fan Location Master Bedroom

• What Fan (Make/Model) do you have? Hampton Bay Model 52-BH

• Does your fan have pull-chains or is it remote operated? Pull Chain Operated Set to High

• What wiring schematic are you following? Power Goes Into Fan Box - Scenario #3: Switch Used for Turning On Both Fan & Lights (No Pull-String Used)

• How far from the canopy module is your switch? 10 ft

Installed 3rd disconnection issue observed rather shortly after installation and then in the other two locations…

Average house temperature since installation is 82F High to 70 F Low

Hey all – what do you think the estimated temperature is inside your house? This was a question the manufacturer asked tonight.

Please edit your answer.

One other thing. Is it possible to take pictures of how your module is installed along with showing the wires?

1 Like

I will have to completely open my canopy up will take a bit to do when do you need this?

No worries… Whenever you get around to it!

Will do tomorrow should I install second also? I am Leary to install because its in my daughters room!

Yeah one thing we’re tossing around is that maybe they’re just defective canopies. Maybe if you could swap out the one that’s giving you issues with the new one?

I can swap out the canopy tomorrow since I bought 3 switches and haven’t installed the 3rd yet. Is there a pairing process between the switch and the canopy?

• What Fan (Make/Model) do you have? This is important.
    Hampton Bay Abbeywood

• Does your fan have pull-chains or is it remote operated? (If pull-chain, make sure to set it to high)
    Pull chains, set to high

• What wiring schematic are you following? Schematics can be found here: LZW36 Wiring Schematics – NOTE: Please let us know if you have any alternate wiring
    Power into switch

Around 12 ft

75 degrees

Press and hold D tap E 3x. This should get it to pair you have to do this right after power is turned on.

I took pictures when I installed. Added it to my post. Note that my fan did not have a red wire.

Thanks!

I suppose I should have read the manual… lol

I was reading through the product road map post and saw the RF module is 2.4ghz. Should I have any concern with any interference from WiFi? The wall the switch is on, I have one of my access points installed on. It is about 3 feet from the switch. The APs 2.4ghz channel is on channel 6.

I’m using this AP. Unifi In Wall HD

1 Like
  • What Fan (Make/Model) do you have?
    Harbor Breeze - Not sure on model, it is not that new and do not have manual nor could I find it online. Sorry.
  • Does your fan have pull-chains or is it remote operated?
    Pull chains, set for high
  • What wiring schematic are you following?
    Power Goes Into Fan Box - Scenario 1
    9ft
    76F in the room, at same level as fan (I have a temperature sensor mounted on the shelving across the room)
  • Can you give pics of the canopy installation (show how it’s sitting in the canopy and how it’s wired?

In case it helps, additional pictures. First is the opposite side (fan on hanger) showing the antenna poking out. Second shows a shot from alongside fan (before it was taken down to get wiring picture) to the switch, to show that it is an unobstructed (but very close to a wall corner) shot.

1 Like