LZW36 Fan/Light Successful Setup Questions

Hey everyone, in an effort to figure out what’s happening in the thread of disconnection issues, I wanted to see if anyone who has this fan/light switch installed has not had any problems and if so, what their setup is. More specifically, if you can answer the following questions.

We’ve actually had a lot of people talk about how their switch is working properly and love it, but typically when something goes well, no one talks about it (totally understood as this is the norm).

Anyway, if you’ve installed your fan/light switch and you haven’t had any issues with it, would you mind answering the following questions?

• What Fan (Make/Model) do you have? This is important.
  • Does your fan have pull-chains or is it remote operated? (If pull-chain, make sure to set it to high)
  • What wiring schematic are you following? Schematics can be found here: LZW36 Wiring Schematics – NOTE: Please let us know if you have any alternate wiring
  • How far from the canopy module is your switch?
  • What is the estimated temperature in your house?
  • Do you have any access points near the fan?
  • Would you consider your 2.4 GHz network large or overworked?
  • Have you changed any parameters at all (specifically energy monitoring)?

Thanks in advance and have a great day!

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking about starting this thread myself. However, work has been keeping me busier than normal (I am grateful for this :slight_smile:). But today I am doing my taxes. SO ANY EXCUSE to pull me away from that is welcome! :smile: So thank you Eric!!! :slightly_smiling_face: :

The ONLY “issue” that I have noticed (documented somewhere here) is that my power monitoring is reporting 1 watt with both the fan and light off. A much smaller (FW/Offset?) issue in my mind to be debugged later. In general, performance has been rock solid and I have been VERY HAPPY with this switch! :+1:

• What Fan (Make/Model) do you have? This is important.
  • Does your fan have pull-chains or is it remote operated? (If pull-chain, make sure to set it to high)
    • Fan had pull chains for operation. The fan was set to “High” speed and the light was turned on prior to LZW36 installation.
  • What wiring schematic are you following? Schematics can be found here: LZW36 Wiring Schematics – NOTE: Please let us know if you have any alternate wiring
    • Pretty simple installation, Only one switch/load wire to work with. So I was able to follow the directions provided. Exact schematic copied below.
  • How far from the canopy module is your switch?
    • Using my HS Trig, I calculated 9.30 feet :slight_smile:
  • What is the estimated temperature in your house?
    • According to my Inovelli 4:1 sensor, it is currently 79.3. I have seen it as high as 87+. So heat does not seem to be affecting me.
  • Do you have any access points near the fan?
    • No, Only have one WAP in the house. But live in a neighborhood with lot sizes <7500 sqft so a Lot of APs are nearby. I do have a couple (4) Zigbee devices (outlets) that are exercised somewhat often, One is within 5’ of the Fans switch.
  • Would you consider your 2.4 GHz network large or overworked?
    • Large, Not really. Moderately to heavily used
  • Have you changed any parameters at all (specifically energy monitoring)?
    • No changes to the parameters for power have been made. Only changed things like minimum/maximum light values and setting for the notifications etc.

Fan Wired per this schematic:

One last note. I do have one more fan (Harbor Breeze) waiting for a switch that does not have pull chains (i.e needs a remote). When that arrives, I’ll install and update this thread.

Okay, my wife is on to me! Says she doesn’t hear me cussing… So back to my taxes.

1 Like

Hello,

I have a 90’s-tastic fan. I don’t know the specs on it. I literally only have it working stand-alone until the next patch release of OpenHAB (hopefully this next week).

Installation was a breeze (or hurricane?). I am fairly well versed in this type of thing. I literally reviewed NONE of the posted diagrams. I just followed the labeling on the switch module and canopy module. No other resources were needed to complete the install. I’m only /now/ reviewing the wiring diagrams after this has been installed for a few days.

Just wire in the switch module with a modification of existing wiring to give ‘full time’ L+N to the switch module instead of switching the Line. I have L+N already in the gang box for the switch. Yes; this was a change from the way it was before. I used the included white wire to get back to the big Neutral wire nut.

For the canopy module, It was pretty straight-forward. Just follow the labeling. It is literally just four wires: Line, Neutral, Fan, Light.

It would be nice to have wire labels on the actual wires as well as printed on the bottom of the module itself. I had to take a picture before I placed it inside the new 3D Printed case; then refer back to it.

Make/Model of fan:

• Don’t know. Came with the house. Fan is 100W rated I believe.

Does your fan have pull-chains or is it remote operated?

• Pull Chains. I set to HIGH; but Sig. Other changed it very quickly after install. ~4 second ramp speed is WAY too slow as a default… Anywho, the canopy module /now/ has full time L+N.

What wiring schematic are you following?

• Power goes into Switch Box. Switch used for Fan and Lights. The first one on the page.

How far from the canopy module is your switch?

• About 10’ apart.

Do you have any access points near the fan?

• Newer Wifi access point is opposite the fan from the Switch. So in terms of Distance/ proximity; we would have: Access point [central to house]; Light Switch [ 25’ from AP]; then Fan/canopy module [~10’ from switch] (most far from the center of the house)

Would you consider your 2.4 GHz network large or overworked?

• Don’t think so. I have about 25 devices on the WAP. Not sure how 2.5GHz and 868.42 MHz are a problem together though…

Have you changed any parameters at all?

• No parameter changes yet. Waiting for the new build of OpenHAB to get it integrated into my Home Automation setup. This module has worked flawlessly through multiple starts/restarts of both modules independent of each other as I built the 3D Printed case for the canopy module. They have yet to not be ‘in sync’ with each other. I have ~10 other Zwave devices in my house plus a 2.5 GHz and a 5GHz wifi network. Only a single fan module so far.
    I did an ‘inclusion’ to the Aeotec ZStick controller but haven’t progressed since because OpenHAB doesn’t know the device type yet.

Other things of note:
The Canopy module won’t fit under my existing canopy or inside the gang box in the ceiling. I had to design & 3D print a new canopy module HERE https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4540573 to give it somewhere to sit. Note You can use an online service like Shapeways.com to print this and deliver to your house… It shouldn’t be too pricey. Let me know any changes you need and I can modify the original design.

Besides that, It would have been nice for OpenHAB integration before the official release of the product… I’ll have to wait a bit for full support. Those running OpenHAB are probably used to it now though… I have 10 other Inovelli switches in my system though all running great.

1 Like

[quote=“Eric_Inovelli, post:1, topic:4138”]
would you mind answering the following questions?

• What Fan (Make/Model) do you have? This is important. [/quote]

Pull chains, set on high.

This one:

10 feet-ish

72-80 American Degrees

No, mine are 30+ feet away, google home mesh wifi.

Nah, it’s pretty rarely used.

Just colors and dim rates.

Perfect implementation without a SINGLE disconnect issue (only feature requests that are in the works):

Note my fan model does not have a slot for the canopy module, so I mounted it to the side with some command strips:

3 Likes
  • What Fan (Make/Model) do you have? Harbor Breeze AT-30L
  • Does your fan have pull-chains or is it remote operated?Hand-Held Remote
  • What wiring schematic are you following? Had to cut wiring harness and connect blue for light, black for motor and tie the white common neutrals together
  • How far from the canopy module is your switch? 7 feet
  • What is the estimated temperature in your house? 80F summer and 76F in the winter
  • Do you have any access points near the fan? Placed the Inovelle hub in the fans slide-in mounting bracket above the fans drop post.
  • Would you consider your 2.4 GHz network large or overworked? 2.4GHz no problem
  • Have you changed any parameters at all (specifically energy monitoring)? Only changed the ramp turn-on times for both fan and dimmer.