LZW36 Issues - Can not Communicate to Canopy Module

100% of switches left in the original packaging apparently do not have connection issues. LOL.

4 Likes

ā€¦and 100% of the holy grail of switches in my house will instantly fail WAF if she has to crawl into our half basement (where the electrical panel was stupidly installed) to toggle a breaker because the lights in one or more rooms donā€™t work! Hence, wanting to get a grasp on the scope/cause of this problem in case Iā€™m one of the unlucky people.

If Inovelli is looking for a new product idea, I would be first in line for a 200 amp breaker box with automatic generator transfer and Z-Wave breakers with individual per-circuit and total panel power usage reportingā€¦ :wink:

I donā€™t know how many they sold in preorder or how many have gotten installed so hopefully weā€™re in the minority. Fortunately for me my breaker panel is easy to get to. Even thought the fan is in a vaulted ceiling itā€™s not as bad to get to as I thought it would be. I know someone posted a picture of theirs in a two story tall room. I wouldnā€™t want to have to go up that high too many times.

1 Like

The Air Gap on the switch cures my communication issues do you have to use the breaker to clear yours?

Yes, I tried the air gap several times and it did nothing. I either have to flip the breaker or wait for it to reconnect on its own.

Iā€™ve got this same fan and am having the same problem.

Iā€™m going to throw in that Iā€™m having this issue as well. Currently thereā€™s a lot of metal around the canopy module, so Iā€™m going to get in there today and try to get the antenna to stick out better, so weā€™ll see how that goes.
Over the last few days, it has become unresponsive (as described above where the switch works fine, but the fan/light donā€™t respond) a few times, but has started working again within ~5 minutes. This time, it has been disconnected since last night (as far as I know anyway - Zzzzz).

Iā€™ve got mine working quite consistently (for about a week now) by clearing the path from the antenna to the switch. I moved the antenna round to be on the switch side of the canopy, with all the other wires on the other side. And left the antenna wire sticking out.
Before, it would ignore 19 out of 20 commands (switch or ZWave) and often need re-paired (usually several times) after a breaker reset. Air-gapping didnā€™t make much difference for mine.

Ensuring the antenna hangs out of the fan wasnā€™t the instant success I had hoped for. It worked once and then stopped working again. I toggle the breaker and have been good so far, but I suppose time will tell.

I just installed another LZW36 on a my brothers newer Hubitat and his very high ceiling fan and it worked fine for over an hour at least before it disconnected communication to the module. All LED indicators report fine and Hubitat is seeing the switch changes but the canopy module is not responding to controlling the fan or lights. Donā€™t know if itā€™s related but I am setting up Alexa and Google Home to control the fans. A simple disconnect of power to the device got them to reconnect again.

My first fan has not had trouble disconnecting after several days now. I still have the first driver installed and using the generic Hubitat childs. I have the default settings for power monitoring still but have changed the speed at which the lights turn on.

same issue with my bedroom unit, and i just installed it in my Sunroom, and when i just installed it worked fine, then about 20 min or so, i had to pull the powerā€¦ so far its working. seems a bit flaky, but its only been 2 daysā€¦ I have one more unit to install.

Iā€™ve had similar issues.

• The install was uneventful, but the canopy module often becomes unresponsive.
  • The LEDs on the switch continue to update as I press physical buttons.
  • Iā€™ve noticed that canopy module will often respond to Google commands through SmartThings until I touch a physical button.
  • The fan and switch are about 12 ft apart.
  • The switch is installed in a plastic gang box.
  • The fan is in the same room as our wireless router.

Hey guys - not sure if you saw this, but thereā€™s a firmware fix for this that can be deployed through Hubitat.

Firmware: https://files.inovelli.com/firmware/LZW36/Beta/LZW36_1.34.gbl

Firmware Updater: https://community.hubitat.com/t/release-z-wave-firmware-updater/38237/860?u=bcopeland

Can you guys try this if you havenā€™t already?

Hubitat firmware update appears to have fixed it for me.

1 Like

yes, i did 3 out of 4 switches and the firmware seems to be holding. Hope it comes out of beta soon.

1 Like

Iā€™ve only had time to install one of my switches but havenā€™t had a single issue with it on Hubitat or locally since the install over a week ago (still on the original firmware but with the energy settings). Hoping to get another installed on Sunday and Iā€™ll probably update the firmware on that one before I install it. The last one is going to take more work since the only place to mount a switch controls another light so Iā€™ll need to put a micro switch in that box if it will fit with the LZW36 controller.

Are there any directions for installing without Hubitat?

Have been working to update firmware to version 1.34 via Hubitat zwave updater as Eric_Inovelli suggests in the above post. However, no matter what I do, the update process just hangs at status ā€˜downloading firmwareā€¦ā€™ and does not progress beyond that. Can anyone advise? Should a different target be used instead of 0 ?

Screenshot_2020-07-23 Kids Room

Silly request: Can you show a screen capture of what the firmware updater looks like before you select update?