LZW42 and Hubitat issues

Habitat does not officially support multicast for Z-Wave, last time I checked.

Come on over :smiley:

1 Like

:unamused:.

Yeah, pass . . . :nauseated_face:

Not knocking Hubitat, solely stating that HA supports multicasting if he is looking for a solution to the delays.

I had the same issue with Smartthings (10 second scenes anyone?) that pushed me to HA. I can shut down my entire house in my “Away” scene in less than ~2 seconds. That involves 51 individual device checks/changes. That isn’t going to happen without multicast.

Well I’ve been able to solve almost all my issues. The last two are when I do the “all lights” group, I need to wait about 20-30 seconds before doing another color. The smaller groups I can change as I please. The other is the color wheel through HomeKit, but I found that hold it on a color for a few seconds does the trick. Siri changes them by voice so good there.

Now… if I can figure out this zwave association! I’ve managed to install the LZW42 bulbs as insecure, and have lzw30 (black series - gen 2) included as insecure. I setup the association, but can’t seem to get the switch to communicate to the bulb. Any ideas? Am I missing something?

For the driver, the Smart Switch Driver doesn’t have the control to disable local load control (i assume this is the disable relay), so I do have to put it on the Smart Scene Switch Driver. Disabling the local load control stops all the buttons from functioning on the wall and only works digitally.

Take a screenshot of your association. Remember, it has to be configured for both.

@harjms Hmm sounds like I may be missing something. What do you mean it has to be for both? Below is the existing association. Also, am I right to have it in the smart scene switch driver?

What do you mean? You have the black series so you should be using the lzw30 driver from Inovelli.

Did you set associations up like https://support.inovelli.com/portal/en/kb/articles/how-to-use-the-z-wave-association-tool-hubitat

You should have group 2 AND 4 setup for the switch to bulb.

@harjms - I’m not sure if you use Hubitat, but Hubitat has preloaded drivers for Inovelli. When I got my LZW42 bulbs, I used an external driver and was having issues and was told to use the internal ones as they are updated periodically by bcopeland. Below is the list of the hub drivers (the two circled red are the only ones from that list that give the “disable local load control” switch. The others don’t have it. Also, I had only done group 2, I tried adding an association for 4, but same result. My understanding is group 2 is for on/off only (which is what I have), and group 4 is for dimming switches. I’ve been doing a lot of forum and web readings and that’s what I’ve come up with so far, may be wrong. The insecure pairing of the lzw42s was difficult because C7 doesn’t give the option to pick the security level during pairing. Only if it is S2, you can not put in the code and it goes insecure (what I did for the switch). The 2 bulbs I had to flip on and off during inclusion so it wouldn’t pick up the security handshake. Annoying workaround, but it worked after a few tries.

You should not be using the Hubitat drivers for the switch (bulbs okay); You should be using Inovelli’s driver: https://github.com/InovelliUSA/Hubitat/blob/master/Drivers/inovelli-switch-lzw30.src/inovelli-switch-lzw30.groovy

I thought you had to use this driver in order for the association tool to work correctly (maybe not?), but you should definitely be using this driver and NOT the included driver.

Do you not want your bulbs to dim?

@harjms ahh okay, that is good to know. I’ll get these drivers installed this evening and give it a shot.

Yes, I would like the bulbs to dim since the capability is there on the bulb, but i just understood it as if the switch was a dimming switch, you get group 4, if not, then just 2. I’ll do both groups with the drivers and give it a shot. I hope that is it! Certainly appreciate the feedback, will keep you posted on how it goes.

You definitely need to do both groups. Give it a try and see how it goes.

@harjms Well good news & bad news… Good news, that worked. Bad news, not for long… I’ll start with Group 4 doesn’t seem to be an option for the switch, only Group 2. Then I began looking at the different settings and making changes (timer, led color, etc.) At some point, hub/zwave was acting slow and weird and the switch just turned off. I was able to exclude it, and include again. Then it would only work with one bulb (fixture has two). Looks like zwave mesh is messed up from the include/exclude going on and turning the power on/off at some point. I did notice some setting are for versions in 1.14 and 1.19 or something. The current firmware version on the switch is 1.11, so going to try to update that in case it was causing an issue. Lucky me, I had just ordered the UZB stick and came in today, so trying to get that going now. I know I had a ghost node previously that I wanted to remove since I thought maybe that was causing issues and will try to get this firmware updated. I’ll mess with that for a while, then just back to the switch/bulb. Hoping I can get it working soon as it’ suppose to!

Does look like the driver from Inovelli’s worked at least to some extent. I wonder why that driver wouldn’t be on Hubitat’s internal. It is confusing that some (bulbs) then to be internal driver, but the switches need to be the external ones. If Hubitat drivers won’t be updated, they probably should be removed, so people know to get the external one.

So Hubitat drivers are for basic uses. They write them in house, but don’t necessarily have all the rich features compared to Inovellis written drivers.

I thought group 4 would be there but I’ve only set it up from a LZW31-SN so dimmer function was there. I’ll have to think about that one or someone else can chime in. Hopefully a rule isn’t need for the press and hold command.

The lzw30 is now working as intended! I haven’t figured out how to upgrade the firmware (1.11 to 1.19 beta) with the UZB stick though. I followed Inovelli instructions, but when I click update, it seems to get stuck on Packet #1 of 2338 written. Switch_Binary_report(25 03) + FF. I tried doing it via hubitat driver, but for the URL, the webpage doesn’t seem to have the link to copy in. I tried the main page “https://support…” but no luck. otz file is there so that is what I downloaded and tried to do via UZB stick. Any idea what may be happening with either? Just want to upgrade so I’m not missing out on any enhancements since 1.11. I’m sure there’s quite a few.

How’d you update it with the usb? Then you add it to you Hubitat network as a secondary controller?

To the usb, I actually excluded it from the hub, and included it to the UZB stick directly. I tried adding the UZB to the hub, but it wouldn’t include for some reason.

Hmm should work. I’ve never done it directly from usb to switch. I’ve only done it as a secondary controller. Try: pulling air gap on switch. start the upgrade from PC controller and then push in the air gap switch. The switch should start its upgrade. Hopefully further than one bit.

Well… I think I may have just bricked it. Not doing the air gap thing, but I was able to get the UZB onto Hubitat, then tried the firmware update that way with the downloaded .otz file (correct one, 1.19 beta for LZW30). Then it just froze, so I aborted. Now when I press “Get” information doesn’t come in and it is being unresponsive in HomeKit, Hubitat and Locally. Doh…

Scratch that, we are back to everything working with Firmware 1.11