LZW42 pair via edge driver?

Hey all,

I’ve been trying to pair one of my illumin rbgw bulbs with SmartThings using the edge driver instead of the old drivers, but I can’t seem to get SmartThings to use the driver. I’ve gotten a coupe of switches moved over with no issue, but the bulb just doesn’t seem to want to play ball in edge. Any ideas?

Are you sure an edge driver for the bulb exists? I don’t use beta drivers, but according to Inovelli’s Github repository, the only beta Edge drivers published this far are for the switch and the dimmer.

I guess I was looking at the Samsung drivers (December Release - Beta Drivers for SmartThings Edge | Samsung Developers) and not the Inovelli ones.

The link lists the illumin under supported zwave bulbs, but I guess I should ask there since it is the samsung driver, and not the Inovelli driver.

Tagging @EricM_Inovelli - I wonder if the issue has anything to do with the fact that Samsung has the old bulb firmware and not the new one.

Eric - is there a way to analyze the code to see if there’s a discrepancy?

@tangelogee - do you know what firmware version you have? Or I guess approximately when you bought the bulb?

Hang in there, we’ll figure it out!

No worries! I just received the bulb last week, and the date code is 0821 on the bulb. Not sure if I can find the firmware easily on smartthings.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Ah nice! No, that’s super helpful. Based on that knowledge, I’m confident you have the latest firmware :slight_smile:

I haven’t personally played with edge drivers, but I do have our bulbs installed and use ST, so maybe I’ll give it a whirl tonight and see!

1 Like

Awesome, let me know if I’m missing anything!

Are there any directions on how to install these? I followed the directions here last night, but couldn’t figure it out: Preview | SmartThings-managed Edge Device Drivers - Devices & Integrations - SmartThings Community

In the Getting Started section, is this saying I have to unpair each device and then repair them (step #4)?

Yes, at the moment to use edge drivers in an existing device you have to exclude it and re-add it to use the edge drivers. On the red series dimmer I moved it found the edge driver no issue, but every time I try to add the bulb it just uses the groovy one.

Can you post the Raw Description from one of your bulbs?

Sorry, I missed this mesage. Here’s the raw description from one:

Raw Description zw:Ls type:1101 mfr:031E prod:0005 model:0001 ver:2.31 zwv:4.38 lib:03 cc:5E,98 sec:86,85,59,72,73,33,26,70,27,5A,7A

I had a thought that the fingerprint for the bulb may have been incorrect or missing, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. The fingerprints.yml file contains the following fingerprint entry, which seems to be correct:

id: “ILLUMIN_RGBW_BULB2”
deviceLabel: Illumin RGBW Bulb
manufacturerId: 0x031E
productType: 0x0005
productId: 0x0001
deviceProfileName: rgbw-bulb

Unfortunately, I don’t know enough about Lua to go beyond that, but thought I’d give it a shot.

Ultimately, Inovelli will write their own Edge driver, I think. Right now it’s just the red dimmer and switch.

Seems weird that Samsung would add an Inovelli fingerprint to their driver, but who knows. The driver also contains Aeotec fingerprints. I’m wondering what happens when Inovelli writes their driver and now there are two separate drivers for the same fingerprint . . .

2 Likes

Thanks for taking a look. Ultimately, the reason I wanted the edge driver was to make the bulb run under local control instead of cloud, but I can wait for it.

2 Likes

These two Edge drivers for the Illumin bulb are in the ST official (i.e. non-community) Edge driver:

• id: “ILLUMIN_RGBW_BULB”
    manufacturerId: 0x0300
    productType: 0x0003
    productId: 0x0003

• id: “ILLUMIN_RGBW_BULB2”
    manufacturerId: 0x031E
    productType: 0x0005
    productId: 0x0001

Starting on Tuesday, April 26, 2022, ST will begin automatically binding to the Edge driver when a qualifying device is added to the hub. So you might want to try re-adding again after that to see what happens. ST mentions a rollout, so I’m not sure if every official Edge driver will be available immediately, so YMMV.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay in responding; life came up :-/

So I was finally able to add the bulb using Edge Drivers. Apparently for some reason SmartThings was prioritizing the Groovy DTH over the Edge drivers. I ended up removing the DTHs for the LZW42 (and a few other DTHs I had added but didn’t need, like NZW39 and LZW41, as SmartThings decided to try those too…) It’s weird, because the Red series dimmers I moved over just added via the Edge driver even though the DTH was still there.

Now the only thing is that the bulb only recognizes white temp, but not color control. Correction, after force-quitting and reopening the SmartThings App, the color selection was there!

Thanks @Bry and @Eric_Inovelli for all the help working through the process!

2 Likes