Night light vs Full Light

Hey all! I’m pretty new to the smart home stuff and I’m loving the capabilities inovelli seems to have compared to the competition. One of the things I’m looking at doing, is something in the kitchen to swap between a “Daylight” mode and a “night light” mode (think of how these these ones work for frame of reference). While I could put these in and on/off/on when I want to switch - I’d rather use the scene controller and be able to for example double click the kitchen light to KNOW it’s going to go night light, not switch back and forth. I could also theoretically go get any old smart bulbs and set scenes based on what I want, there are currently Halos in there (like this) and if possible, I don’t want to have to deal with getting proper can’s installed for smart bulbs - that increases both the complexity and the cost of doing it.

So ultimately the question here… anyone have any ideas on “Smart Halos” or any other way to implement what I’m thinking of aside from going to entire new lighting style?

Thanks for the thoughts ahead of time!

The one thing to be cautious about in using wafer/canless lights (such as the couple you referenced) is that users tend to have more problems with compatibility with the red dimmers. I’m not saying that the two you linked aren’t compatible, but I would purchase one and test for compatibility before committing to installing them.

If the lights you decide on aren’t compatible with the red series, you might consider waiting for the blue Zigbee series to be released. I’m not sure if they’ll be more compatible, but that’s another avenue to explore.

The lights that have been used that have been known to work well are the Commercial Electric halo lights. They don’t quite meet your requirements, as they require the on/off/on you’re looking to avoid. @kreene1987 has these, so he can comment further.

The model I’m linking below is a can retrofit model, but the do have an ultra-slim model as well. If they’re using the same LED as the other, they might be compatible with the red dimmer as well, but you’d have to test.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-6-in-Selectable-CCT-Integrated-LED-Recessed-Light-Trim-with-Night-Light-Feature-670-Lumens-11-Watt-Dimmable-53804101/306080129

Thanks for the input! I’m using the halos now (second one I linked) and they seem to work well with the red series. Any sort of “dimming” is choppy and not smooth, but using an instant on/off seems to work well. That’s interesting to know that some of the options work with the reds and some don’t. While looking around I did stumble upon these from Lumary actually, also available on amazon - looks to be the only brand out there for “Smart” canless-recessed lighting, and for not vastly more than “dumb” ones.

I don’t love that it would be reliant on wifi rather than z-wave native (I absolutely hate the “one app per product” way that wifi stuff works, also the dependency in general), but take what you can get I guess. I’ll probably do some thinking around what you’ve proposed and these. Actually, probably a great time to clarify on that… would the Red Series be able to control the scenes of something wifi centric and not managed by the Z-Wave hub?

https://lumarysmart.com/collections/canless-recessed-lights

If the WiFi device is not managed by the hub, then no, the red series, nor any Inovelli series for that manner, will not control it. Unless the device you are trying to manage is Zwave, Inovelli’s control is via scenes triggered by button presses, so the target device connected to the hub is required.

But just because it’s WiFi doesn’t mean the hub can’t control it. Hubs support some WiFi devices. Which hub are you using?

Hubitat - I’m open to possibly others, but I like that it’s not reliant on cloud connections like smart things or many others.

I’m seeing a fair number of Zigbee supported can retrofits out there, but nothing that’s fully canless without resorting to wifi :frowning:

I have the first one you linked in bedrooms.

Essentially when the light is turned off, I command it back on. Swaps mode. Double off turns off completely.

What I want to do (but haven’t yet) is use a switch from Night to Day then swap during my bedtime routine ANY that are in the “day” mode.

HA can do it, but I haven’t set it up yet.

So it swaps mode without doing the on/off/on thing? How did you get that to work?

That’s the function inside the light itself. It goes on light, off, on nightlight, off, on light.

Rinse and repeat.