Old vs New Work 3-Way + Junction

Ok, gotta draw this out. Downstairs which wire on the 3-wire is connected to the common terminal?

Black

Ok, here is what I have so far. Please double-check the connections to make sure it’s drawn correctly.

The next thing are the connections in the J-Box. You posted the pic but it might be better for you to describe now that you see what I’m doing. After the drawing is complete we can figure out where to go from that.

EDIT: I’ll fix that neutral going to the light and the 2-wire from the panel.

Yes your diagram looks correct.

In the junction box here is the wiring…

Bottom switch:
Red = red from top switch
Black = black from hot
White = black from top switch

Top switch:
Red = red from bottom switch
Black = white from bottom switch
White = white from hot

Sorry, I’m not following that.

I’m looking for something like

3-wire upstairs red to 3-wire downstairs red
3-wire upstairs black to 3-wire downstairs black
Black from panel to ? from ?
White from panel to ? from ?

3-wire upstairs red to red from 3-wire bottom switch
3-wire upstairs black to white from 3-wire bottom switch
3-wire upstairs white to white from panel
3-wire downstairs black to black from panel

This makes sense but please take a look:

Yep! That’s it!

Great. So the good news is that it makes sense. The not-so-good news that I think we can get around is that the hot is in one box and the neutral in the other. I think it’s straightforward if you can us an Aux instead of a dumb switch. Trying to avoid a non-neutral configuration.

Would you prefer the dimmer to be upstairs?

You seem to be pretty proficient with wiring so if that’s the case I can draw it out and it should make sense to you.

Honestly I don’t care where the dimmer is. Whatever is easiest. Also I have aux switches I can use too if that’s easier. Thanks!

Upstairs it is then, lol!

It’s going to be a line and load in the same box with an Aux downstairs. It’s really just this:

Awesome! I’ll play with it tonight and report back! Thanks so much!

Ok, give me a few for a drawing.

2 Likes

Ok I’ve got it all wired up and upstairs is paired and seems to be working. The six switch does nothing but I’m guessing I need to configure something to get that working? I am using hubitat and a GE Enbrighten six switch. Any idea what I need to do to get that up and running? So close! :blush:

If you have Hubitat and the driver installed, scroll down to where it says, “AC Power Type” and select, “Neutral” and then where it says, “Switch Type”, select, “Switch Momentary”.

Hopefully that does it!

Nice work @Bry!

1 Like

That worked! I’m up and running! Thanks everyone, especially Bry! Amazing support! I will be putting in my next order shortly! :relaxed:

4 Likes

Well there goes that idea. Went to order another 10-Pack of Red Dimmers but they are out of stock. I signed up for the email notification, but did you have any other visibility as to when these might be back? Thanks!