Hi everyone. I recently purchased a house and have started down the road of turning it into my dream smart home. I’m at a point where I’m really stuck and was hoping some people within the community might be able to help.
Here’s my set-up: My server is running TrueNAS Scale, and within that, the Home Assistant and zwave2jsmqtt apps. My house currently has a mixture of regular bulbs and about 20 Philips Hue bulbs in various rooms that are currently controlled by Lutron’s Aurora dials (which I hate) and connected through a Philips Hue Bridge. I’ve spent a ton of time researching different switches and solutions, and I settled on Inovelli because it seemed like their switches were the only ones that:
- Had good switch quality
- Would expose light switches to HA
- Allows for control of Philips Hue lights by changing local control functionality
- Supports both on/off and dimming functionality
I purchased one LZW31 from eBay as a trial to figure out if I could get it connected to my z-wave network, wired up correctly, and control my Hue lights in the way I want it to. Unfortunately, I seem to be stuck, and I can’t find a tutorial or detailed documentation that can walk me through this process. I’ve done a ton of research, and it seems like everyone’s setup varies slightly from me in some way.
My questions are, in order:
- With the above setup (no SmartThings or Inovelli Blue Switches), am I able to control (both turn on/off and dim) my Philips Hue rooms?
- If I can use a LZW31 to control my lights, is the responsiveness of the on/off and/or dimming functionality bad enough that I should consider another option?
* If the responsiveness is not a problem, can someone point me towards a tutorial that walks through the process using the container version of Home Assistant?
- If either I can’t use an LZW31 for this, or if the dimming experience is not great, what can I do? Are Blue switches the answer?
Really hoping the community can help guide me in the right direction here. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.