Please Help with Wiring

Hello. I am wiring 2 Inovelli Red Switches to do a 3-way system. I will use Hue bulbs and will therefore set it up in the smart bulb mode.

The left side illustration mirrors my wiring. I do have questions about the suggested wiring of the 2 Red switches as illustrated on the right side of the schematics.

1. Why is the red traveler wire capped? Isn’t the red wire important for closing the electrical circuit and therefore powering the load?
  2. The 2 Inovelli Red switches are wired differently. With one switch (which I’ll call A), both black wires are inserted into the line and on the other switch (which I’ll call B), one black wire is inserted into the line and the other is inserted into the load. How do I figure out which switch to wire as A and which switch to wire as B? Or does it really matter? Are these interchangeable, meaning just as long as I wire one Red switch like A and the other like B, I’m good?

The traveler isn’t used with two Inovelli’s. When you use two switches (as opposed to a switch and an Aux or a switch and a dumb switch) the two switches DO NOT communicate via a wired connection. The have to be associated (Reds) or bound (Blues).

So when you have two switches, one of them is wired to and controls the load, the other just gets a hot and neutral and communicates wirelessly with the primary switch.

The box that has the load should be the first consideration for the primary switch. If that is not a good location, you can make the Inovelli in the other box the primary and send the switched (load) to the far box via the red.

Thanks.

So if I don’t know which box has the load, I can just randomly wire one like A and the other one like B?

I would not recommend that. Winging it with electrical wiring usually doesn’t work out so hot . . and it can be dangerous.

The proper first step in wiring a multi-way is to identify your configuration. Where is the line? Where is the load? Is it a line and load in one box, line in one box, load in the other, or a load between the switches. This is typically done by testing with a METER.

From your question, it seems like you may not be familiar with electrical wiring. It may be best to consult with an electrician. It’s always best to error on the side of caution, since improper wiring can have adverse consequences.

1 Like