POLL: Aux vs Dumb Switch in a Multi-Way

Hey all,

I wanted to get an idea of how many people use auxiliary / add-on switches (any brand) vs dumb switches.

If you get a chance, would you mind just selecting which you use and if you have an extra moment comment why in the discussion?

• Aux / Add-On Switch
  • Dumb / Existing Switch
  • Mixture of Both

0 voters

We’re going to skip the use of Smart Switch to Smart Switch in a 3-Way for now. I’m more curious of the above.

Thanks!

Went with the White series Aux switches for consistency of look and feel. Had to completely re-wire a crazy 3-way with 4 separate loads in the middle, but once I got my head around what the previous owner had done I was able to get it working. The White Aux switches work perfectly with my Blues in two separate 3-way setups and one 4-way setup, and they look great, too.

1 Like

I have GE add-on switches on all my N-way circuits because I wanted them to have the same center-resting position as the smart switches around them for consistent appearance, and to keep the functions intuitive - up for on, down for off. Those switches are mostly tied to motion sensors, so the function is less important than the appearance, as we rarely touch them.

None of my 3-/4-ways are connected to my Inovelli switches, just because they aren’t the locations where I was interested in advanced features, and because when I installed them I was sticking with toggle switches as I upgraded a location or two at a time - so I didn’t really have the option of keeping the dumb switches at the time I installed them, but I would have replaced them regardless, for the reasons above.

1 Like

I have a mixture of both. For new installs, I try to use aux/add-on switches. But if swapping out an existing 3-way dumb set-up I sometimes just leave the existing dumb switch.

1 Like

Anything inside the house gets an aux/smart switch. Garage switches are dumb.

2 Likes

I’ve gone with the Aux switches for several reasons. First, I like that I can dim from any switch. Quite frequently, the switch that needs to be the smart switch (incoming power) is not in a convenient location. Having the aux switches means that the switch viewed as the primary switch can dim.

Second, I’ve had guests and relatives get confused when I had dumb switches. Turning the switch on could leave the light dimmed, and then there would be confusion as to how to brighten the light. When my mother-in-law lived with us, she would still get confused after several years.

And while this discussion isn’t about the smart/smart configuration, if the Zigbee network is down, I know that the Aux switches will work as expected.

2 Likes

Aux only.
Consistent appearance, consistent behavior with the smart switches, aside from lighting.

Also, this:

1 Like

Aux only.

Similar to what has been stated, consistent look and feel but also I think it is easier to wire, I have a couple of 4 way switches and that wiring used to give me a headache but the Aux switches made it simple to hookup because they only use the red and white/common.

PS: Wish list, having the LED bar as an option for Aux switches that replicates what the primary is showing. Would make it perfect for certain areas.

2 Likes

Yeah I’d like to re-explore this one. We had it on our wishlist too, but ultimately had to abandon it because it was about the same cost as another smart switch bc it required a Zigbee chip.

Here’s a long read if you’re bored lol: Auxiliary Switch | Project Golden Rule (LED Version)

3 Likes

I’m using a combo of aux switches and also doubling up on inovelli blues bound together. I prefer the look of having the two Blues in certain areas and then in others, it doesn’t really matter. Either setup, is so that I have control of the dimming level from both locations.

I am using dumb switches in 2 of my current 3ways because nothing else was available at the time as there is no nutral there. But they are going to be changed over to all blue smart switches. I still have several i need to install. Just been pocratinating. Otherwise i am using all blue in 4 of my 3ways so far and also in a 4way dimmer configuration. Why? Because i want them to be uniform. I like that they all look the same.

Now i did have to rewire every box as i did not have a neutral in them except for one location in each setup. So i reused the 3way wire and rewired them to all have power and neutral. And linked them together. All are in dimmer mode but instant on and off so i do not hear the clicking on and off. Bothered my wife.

I love the blues and cant wait to remodle our bathroom when the blue fan switches come out.

2 Likes

I for just using another smart switch and link them together. It works great.

All of the above, or I will, when my pre-orders come in.

• unfortunately I only had a couple red series before everything went to hell, so no multi’s yet

• white aux switches with nowhere to put them

• both red and blue on order

So I expect to use aux for the most common multi-switches, keep the dumb ones for rarely used like basement, and two smart switches for one place without wiring (if possible)

Typically I use GE aux switches. I started with GE switches originally and I have plenty of the aux switches. I had a number of the GE zwave switches fail over the years.

Aux here. I like the ability to dim from both ends and the consistent feel.

I have a combo and have found the aux to be more reliable for automations.

The dumb switches literally dumb down the intelligence of home automation.

So, I’ll be swapping out my dumb switches at some point in the future….that is once I figure out the zwave vs zigbee conundrum.

I have a single smart switch in my house. It is part of a multi-way circuit with other dumb switches that controls the lights in the hallway at the top of the stairs. It drives me crazy right now that if the light is dim, I can’t make it brighter without going up the stairs to where the smart switch is installed. I assume with the aux I could do a “hold up to increase brightness” or something that could address this?

Yes!

Yes, an Aux switch will allow you to dim, brighten, turn on and turn off the load on the dimmer.