Possible Mistake on Wiring Instructions for the Blue Series 2-1 Switch?

I have a 3-way switch setup with an R-VZM31-SN (Blue Series 2-1 Switch) and an AUX01 (Auxiliary Switch). I was planning to install the smart switch on the load side and the aux switch on line side (both boxes have neutral), but came across a section of the wiring documentation that seemed contradictory to me.

The documentation here (found at Wiring Diagrams for the Blue Series 2-1 Switch > Multi-Way (3-Way) + Auxiliary / Add-On Diagrams) says:

IMPORTANT NOTES - PLEASE READ

You must install the smart switch where there is a line (120V) present and you cannot install it where there are only travelers (this is reflected in the schematics below).

However, I think the diagrams under “3-Way Neutral Wire Installation” below that paragraph show a configuration with the smart switch on the load side where a line wasn’t previously present (ultimately gets passed through in the “after” configuration). See the third of the four wiring diagrams in that section, or this image:

I’m certainly new when it comes to wiring these, so it’s very possible I’m misunderstanding either the paragraph or the wiring diagram, but was hoping someone could help me better understand.

Do you really have to install the smart switch where there is a line present initially when using an aux switch? It seems like the “after” configuration gets a line to the smart switch.

You are overthinking this. If you have a line in one box and load in the other and you want the Aux in the box where the line originates and the Inovelli in the load box, then use the diagram you posted.

The statement you referenced simply means you need a line in the box where the Inovelli is. It doesn’t say anything about before or after, or initially, etc. I simply means the Inovelli box needs a line. That statement really pertains to line/load SAME box neutral installations where there aren’t enough conductors in a 3-wire to put the Inovelli in the non-line/load box.

2 Likes

FYI, the smart switch could be in either box for that particular wiring.