Z-Wave 5-Button Scene Controller + Dimmer Switch | Project Limitless

Would it be possible to control 3 other dimmers from this one switch? Each scene button would be assigned to a specific dimmer, and the dim buttons would be used to control it up or down

Was thinking of functionality similar to the below

Can we get a pulse check from someone at Inovelli on this project? Is this still tracking for a Q1 release? Or was this project also affected by the debt load/ Covid issues mentioned on other threads?

Sorry to get to this so late. A lot can be said here, but the TL;DR of how I think of this is, scenes are mutually exclusive (only one can be active at a time) while zones are independent (>1 can active at any time).

Great news, we officially got the green-light (had some red tape to get through with the manufacturer and partner) on this to start last night, so it’s officially kicked off!

In fact, @anon14959390 and I were just talking about 10min ago with @EricM_Inovelli about the firmware document that needs to be written, so this is perfect timing lol.

The timeline did get pushed back as noted on 01/04/2021, but we’re still on track with the new goal of June 2021.

Now that we are a go, I’ll be updating the page along with @anon14959390.

We’re really excited about this :slight_smile:

Edit: Changed 2020 to 2021

8 Likes

Woohooo! That’s great news, thanks @Eric_Inovelli!

Is there anything the community can do to help?

Why yes actually – dang, you and I are on the same page today! I was going to make a quick post to ask an expert in laser etching what they would recommend we purchase as we’d like to offer etching as a service for these, but tbh, we have no idea where to begin :slight_smile:

I’ll make a separate post and link back here for reference.

Thanks for the help!

Edit: Post link: Laser Etching Machine Recommendation

2 Likes

2020 or 2021?

1 Like

dammit – I want nothing to do with 2020. Great catch!

5 Likes

Nice. Unfortunately I’m more of a software/ management kind of person, so that question is way out of league, but I’m sure others will get on it.

2 Likes

Does that help also include product/driver testing to help work out any potential bugs? I’ve got a few test cases in mind that would work nicely for this.

1 Like

Can’t wait to see this grow!

Yeah totally – I’m sure we’ll get a beta group together for this one once we have some prototypes in hand :slight_smile:

Me too – really excited about it!

4 Likes

Dang it. Now you’re making me think about cool places I can replace existing ZWave switches with these. smh.

And, sadly, I’m getting ideas. :smiley:

4 Likes

Would it be possible to control 3 other dimmers from this one switch? Each scene button would be assigned to a specific dimmer, and the dim buttons would be used to control it up or down

Was thinking of functionality similar to the below

It will be able to act as a remote controller. I’ll double check with the tech team, paging @EricM_Inovelli, but I’d think with direct association, you should be able to do what you are looking for.

1 Like

Most maker spaces have laser etching equipment. Quick Google shows a maker space in kalamazoo that has one. https://kzoomakers.org/. Might want to check them out. It would allow you to test drive a machine with different plastic buttons. And there are likely experts there to get you pointed in the right direction. From what I understand, the laser etching equipment and programming is fairly straight forward. Might be hard to scale up though if you wind up getting a lot of demand.

Haha! evil laugh… it’s working…

Awesome, yeah this is a great lead and looks to be literally right down the street. Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah, right now I have some “modes” for my house (not in the Hubitat sense, really)–just things like “At Home”, “Movie Mode”, “WFH Mode”, “Asleep Mode” that I set/control via various things.

I could see replacing some of my basic switches with something like this that would let me set/monitor the modes with the top 3 switches and control the attached light with the bottom two. That could be super sweet.

Hey–I’m way late with this idea but, @Eric_Inovelli:

What about making those switches with a CLEAR front and a “slide in from the side” pocket?

That way, we could just print a slick label and slide it into the buttons?

With color laser and ink jet printers, that’s something anybody could do. And, it would look decent (plus, they could just use crayons if it makes them happy :slight_smile: ).

It wouldn’t wear off or be as tacky as a crooked sticker–and a hella lot less work than etching stuff (although, I suppose, etching buttons could be a very premium service).

• In fact, think how sweet it would be if I could replace the CURRENT Inovelli paddles with ones that had slide ins like that. Geez, with 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x taps up & down PLUS the config button, I already can’t remember what they all do–I have to have sheets of paper laying around the house for that.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

This is something we are working on with the firmware team, but it has a hurdle. The light dim up / down buttons control the load. The scene buttons can control associated devices. Holding down the button will dim up and if you release and hold again it will dim in the opposite direction. The problem is that if you single press the button the switch does not know if the associated device is on or off so it can’t “toggle” it properly. We are working on a proper solution.

1 Like

Can you even do that on your own with such a thing?

It seems that a hub could likely pull it off a bit more properly–with push/hold/release button actions.

Although, I suspect that delays in hub reaction to hold and release button actions cold lead to wonky behavior.

Possibly, using 2x/3x/4x taps on the up/down buttons as well.