Replaceable paddles

My thought exactly.
Personally I never saw the appeal of off-white switches. Seemed like a throwback to the 70s when everything was some shade of brown.

That said- I’d be interested in maybe some labelled paddles. This could be an extra business for Inovelli- lease a cheap laser cutter and sell paddles with custom text (Light, Fan, Heat, etc)

1 Like

This. Though a big-ish fan symbol (or heat, or whatever) on the paddle would be awesome too. I’ve been using color for this purpose: white paddles for most things, but almond paddles for (indoor) switches that control outdoor lights, and gray paddles for switches controlling exhaust fans. In this case, the color is meant to stand out.

For ceiling fans, I’ll eventually pick another color, but for now I use the HomeSeer ones (couldn’t wait for Project Windy City) and their LED indicators are on the wrong side, so they’re already visually distinct. (Hope Windy City comes out next year. The HomeSeers are good quality switches, don’t get me wrong, but Inovellis are good quality AND look better.

Even better, if I could order custom text with the symbol “:lightbulb: Front Hall Lights” on the paddle, I’d pay for that. I already do this with label-maker tape on the faceplate, but a professional-looking labeled paddle would be so much better! Maybe I should start a new “wishlist” thread.

Being in a similar situation, I can confirm, having just bought Almond and Light Almond paddles in hopes the Almond would be a close enough match to existing Ivory (Leviton builder grade face plates).

I thought I had a few GE Ivory, but it’s been so long I looked it up and according to Amazon’s current description what I have in some places is their Light Almond paddles. It’s never been a match to the plates, but it’s been okay-ish that we’ve rolled with it. I imagine actual GE Ivory would be a closer match.

Anyways, the Inovelli Almond does not match Leviton’s Ivory. It’s a spot on match to Lutron as linked by Eric above. I actually feel the GE Light Almond is more passable in the Lutron Ivory than the Inovelli Almond will be…which will sadly slow my adoption as I have a lot more dumb switches that will have to be replaced in order to add a Light Almond smart switch to a box or room (we’re eventually moving to Light Almond).

Curious- how much would you pay for it? Like, for a new paddle ($4 when purchased straight from Inovelli) with whatever you want laser engraved and then ink filled?

I just received Inovelli’s “light almond” paddle and I am satisfied that the color closely matches what is commonly called “Almond”. I found that Inovelli’s “Almond” paddle closely matches what is commonly called “Ivory”.

1 Like

I’ve gone ahead and taken a picture of the situation I tested from my post above. On top, for reference, is an Inovelli White paddle from a Red On/Off Switch with date code 0820. Left to right below is:

1. Inovelli Light Almond paddle in a Lutron Claro Light Almond plate
  2. Inovelli Light Almond paddle in a Leviton Midway Light Almond plate
  3. Inovelli Almond paddle (still in shrink wrap) in Lutron Claro Almond plate
  4. Inovelli Almond paddle (still in shrink wrap) in typical builder grade Leviton Ivory plate

Unless there’s a brand out there that makes a very different Ivory color, I don’t think the Almond paddles are going to be passable in existing Ivory wall plates.

4 Likes

I did something similar - I bought Lutron Claro plates in both Light Almond and Almond and put them against my current switches and GE Ivory and Light Almond paddles. (My Inovelli stuff is still on order)

The good news for me is that I’m going to be replacing all the switches in some of locations outside my kitchen, so all of the Ivory can become Almond. In 2 rooms I’ll have a switch plate on the opposite side of the room that will remain untouched and all Ivory - but because of shadows and such I don’t think anyone would be able to tell.

1 Like

Hi, I would also be a buyer of “True White” paddles of the dimmers and switch if they would become available. It’s the only complaint I have about the switch or the dimmer, appart from that wonderful product and support ! Thanks

2 Likes

Your colors on spot on. :+1:t2:

Left to right:

Lutron Claro Almond plate with Inovelli Almond and GE Ivory paddles,
Lutron Claro Light Almond plate with Invoelli Light Almond and GE Light Almond paddles.

Your colors match the Lutron plates exactly.

I made a mistake – I used the GE Light Almond paddle to with the designer to do the color match on the backsplash tiles. I hadn’t bought these two plates yet. I hope the colors disappear into the tile as well.

I was planning to use a GE add-on switch next to one of my new Reds (my 10x pack arrived today!). That means that plate will look how it does in the right. I hope that passes muster with the Mrs.

1 Like

I have 2 new-in-box of the GE 12723s add-ons (from when I bought them 4 years ago). Is there a different add-on with more Lutron-faithful colors someone can recommend?

(Or I suppose I could go with a dumb switch at that spot – it is rarely used and on/off would be fine)

Any updates on a true white? The “white” is drastically different than the legrand switches and plates I have and it’s completely tanked the WAF.

2 Likes

The photo doesn’t do it justice. It could pass as light almond next to the stark white legrand switches…

This can’t be passable as white, right @Eric_Inovelli @Courtney_Inovelli @anon14959390

This is one of a 10 pack that I just received.

@kylerw – I mean it’s pretty relative as to what, “true” white and what is, “off-white”.

What I can say is that we’ve sold more than 100k of these switches and probably 10 people have written in tickets about the white being different than the faceplates they’ve used. That’s not to say I don’t agree with you as I’m pretty pissed this didn’t match the Lutron white like we asked for, but I’m also in the camp of it’s hard to notice unless you really look at it.

We have made our fan/light switch match the Lutron Claro white, but in terms of the dimmers/on/off, this is a work-in-progress. I wish this was an easy fix, but for some reason the manufacturer takes forever to update paddle colors (ie: Light Almond… ugh).

I can tell you we’re working on it, but I don’t have a TBD right now unfortunately.

1 Like

I appreciate the reply @Eric_Inovelli - some of the switches in the 10 pack are closer to a “true” white than others and while I do disagree that it’s not that noticeable, I’m sold on Inovelli products thus far so I’ll deal until you’re able to offer some replaceable paddles closer in color.

In addition to a great product, you guys have continuously shown great support and communication so the “we’re working on it” response is good enough for me.

3 Likes

We appreciate it @kylerw :slight_smile:

For a more passionate discussion around white vs off-white, check this out lol: https://www.reddit.com/r/homeautomation/comments/ivcfk2/after_a_long_long_wait_they_finally_made_it_heres/g5raupx/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

It really is something we are working on and we want to make right. It really pissed me off when the PM messed that up on their end.

Anyway, we are also discussing this tonight with the manufacturer to see what we can do – get ready @JasonL_Inovelli LOL

2 Likes

@Eric_Inovelli, I’ve used these Inovelli for many of my projects because I think they offer a superior performance than most of the other offerings out there. However, in recent I’ve started to want to expand and couple them in 2-gangs with dumb switches and Jasco/GE switches (which are a perfect match to the dumb switches). The white difference is now become a problem for me. I’m making this post not as a complaint (because up until now it’s not been a problem), but I know that it’s been mentioned that the comments about it are low. You can add me to the camp of wanting a solution to this.

I suspect that some people will disagree with this notion, but personally, I’d be willing to pay for a true white color paddle if it were listed as the same price as your other color paddles.

Edit - I just read the comments about potentially people being upset about old not matching the new; I can see how this would be a predicament. Perhaps listing the new white paddle with a volume discount for multiple would solve the problem. As you sell 10-packs of switches, perhaps a 10-pack deal? Another consideration that just popped in my mind: I know that you mentioned that you’re looking at retail-testing. I wonder what the return ratio will be if you’re selling the mis-colored white? I wonder if people will bring it home, take a look, and bring it right back to the store after opening it? Maybe this is a good opportunity to switch production to the new color? Maybe you can bundle a free true-white paddle while you clear out old inventory?

Really glad to hear that a solution for “true” white paddles is being looked at.

I initially considered the difference to be pretty subtle, but as I’ve continued to add new high CRI LED bulbs throughout the house the difference has become much more obvious.

@Eric_Inovelli – Any update on the ‘true white’ paddles? I’m ready to place an order for ~30 as soon as they are available. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Not yet :frowning: - I promise Inovelli white isn’t that bad lol.