RGBW LED Lightstrip (Project Cribs)

The unit itself will limit the current to 2 amps (regardless of the power supply used going into the box). The device will automatically lower the brightness if it exceeds 2A current draw. If you want to exceed this value, you would need to insert 12v power into the strip itself.

Here is the power usage on my LED strip using various colors at maximum brightness, measured with a kill-a-watt meter. The LED strip is 6 feet in length.

Color Watts
WW 10.5w
CW 10.8w
Red 8w
Green 7.9w
Blue 7.9w
RGB (all 3 colors lit) 7.8w
RGBWWCW (all LEDS lit) 20w (brightness was automatically lowered)
1 Like

Yea it looks like 20W is the limit then, probably not suitable for my application I should have waited to see more user reports before buying these. I donā€™t think many people will use all the LEDā€™s at once but I would have hoped it could at least support it at the standard length. Maybe thereā€™s a firmware update in the future to allow a flag to allow this to jump up to 4-10A with a different supply

For power injection - its probably not a big deal to do it from the opposite end or to mockup a connector to allow it in-line but its my first addressable strip so im not sure how it would deal with on/off/brightness/etc. Got some reading to do on my end. I also havenā€™t used two power supplies before, always a single one

FYI, you canā€™t use two power supplies. When you inject voltage, it needs to come from the same power supply.

Good catch. I added the preference and the code looks like it should work but I havenā€™t tested it. The new version is in Github.

1 Like

My apologies if this has been asked already, itā€™s hard to search these on mobile. Just a couple of questionsā€¦

1. I see that the maximum length is 8ft before lumen drop. Does that mean 8ft of lighted sections or 8ft total? Like, if I did 12ft of extension cords (no lights) and then 8ft of lights would I get full lumens?

2. Any plans for other 90 degree turn adapters, like if we wanted to lay the strip flat and go around a corner?

3. Whatā€™s the status of the tariffs and pricing? Are prices still expected to go up this year?

I received my extensions, they are 24g wire

I just tested 8 1ft sections and 1, 2, and 3 extensions (4, 8, 12ft)

On the default settings (WW, CW illuminated)
4ft - 95%
8ft - 95%
12ft - 90%, 95%. Sometimes it dimmed to 90, sometimes it didnā€™t
My big concern was the LEDā€™s were probably only getting 10-11v after the extension but it looks ok. I think you would be fine so long as you used one white or the other, plus the RGB

FWIW - 8ft of extension plus 12ft of LED ran 65%, and so did 8+13.5ft for some reason, as well as 12+13.5 ft

1 Like

@Eric_Inovelli Do you have any thoughts on the light output dropping and/or getting an injector option going? I know length output wasnā€™t a big part of the beta testing, but Iā€™m guessing it came up in initial hardware testing?

Now my idea of a different wall wart wasnā€™t a bad idea.

1 Like

Gave it a perfunctory test and it did not appear to work yet. I turned on the option, saved, set color and the strip turned on. I re-tested with a LZW42 to make sure I wasnā€™t forgetting how prestaging worked, and it works properly there.

Iā€™ll take a peek this weekend.

I just sent a message to the manufacturer. I personally hadnā€™t tested for this and it never came up in beta testing to my knowledge. We were told weā€™d have full output up to 16ft, so this is definitely news to me :frowning:

We have a call with them tonight too if they donā€™t respond before.

I think this may be firmware related. I checked and we are only sending a setColor command which shouldnā€™t turn on the strip (unless the Z-Wave Alliance did something), but it is.

bytes by definition cannot go above 255. So byte1 is wrong. If you want 2700, according to the docs the equation is:

byte1 = (color_value - 2700) / (6500 - 2700) * 255

byte4 is 128 (for color_temp) + your effect.

running this through, I get a value of

which doesnā€™t even work because itā€™s beyond the highest allowable value.

EDIT: after further investigation, just using color temp instead of the color wheel is equal to the max that that field allows according to the docs. :man_shrugging: The max should be 4294967295.

EDIT 2: The docs are misleading. Off is not the first bit, the first bit is 0 = off 1 = solid. With that being saidā€¦ The correct value for your inputs would be:

which I confirmed works.

Just made a guide for the Quick Strip Effect

3 Likes

Is there any plans to release/make available the black ribbon cable type connector as shown on this image? This style of connector would be very helpful with a project I am working on. https://community.inovelli.com/uploads/default/original/1X/0d828c361cebe5975de0905bba3c87a824fcc024.jpeg

Thanks for the reply @petro! So it looks like I had two problems, as you point out:

Byte 1: I was using the equation given in the documentation for this (x/255*(6500-2700)+2700), which as you point out, is incorrect. Your equation works!

Byte 4: Looks like I needed 65 (64 + 1) rather than 9 (8 + 1).

Putting all of that together I calculate the same as you for static warm white: 1107233280, which I have also confirmed works.

Thanks also for putting the guide together - that is a great contribution!

Hi everyone, got a few questions but iā€™ll start with the most basic one

so it looks like the pixel effects are not customizable much, so does that mean (using https://support.inovelli.com/portal/en/kb/articles/pixel-effects-rgbtw-smart-led-strip-controller-kit-lzw45) that option 1 is static but can only be green forever? and option 46 aurora is only green/white?

or is it possible to achieve the pixel effect option 1 with blue? or red? or a custom color?

my second question is regarding the 4 foot extension cordsā€¦ can these be cut and trimmed shorter? I really need like 4 inch extenders to get up and over the little humps under each cabinet in the kitchen.

I picked up a dupont connector kitā€¦

thank you!

Pixel Effect 1 is static, but it will display the last color you selected within the parent device. For example, turn on the parent LED strip and use the color wheel to set the color to red. Turning the child Pixel Effect 1,x will result in red. Go back to the parent object again and use the color wheel to set the color to yellow. Turn the same child object on and the strips will display yellow.

Option 46 is green/white. If you want a multi-color Aurora effect, you want 45:

Iā€™m not sure about the extensions, but buying a 4ā€™ extension for 4" seems like a waste. Iā€™d just use a router to cut notches in the side panels. If you can solder, you can also lop the plastic connectors off and make the connections using 18 or 20 ga wire.

@nappyjim was talking about shortening an extension, so he should be able to coment.

2 Likes

I needed a longer extension but not 8 ft, so I used one 4ft and cut a second 4ft in half, re-soldered wires and taped em up.If I had to do it again, Iā€™d buy some off those solder butt connectors that you just heat with a shrink gun.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZPF5CH8/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_J270NSB0MQEZ78S0R3HY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

For your color/effect questions.

The following effects used pre-set colors and can not be changed:

All other effects can be changed. How I personally do it (using HA and node red) is I created drop down menus for color and effect. So lets say I want effect 2 (blink) in red. Ill select red in my color drop down (strips change to solid red), I then select blink in the effect drop down (now I have the blink effect in red color).

2 Likes

Were there plans of allowing us to purchase just the controller anytime soon?

Bumping this up again. @Eric_Inovelli would you happen to have an answer for my question above?

I donā€™t believe there are any plans to sell the controller only, at least until they support alternative led strips.