Setting up switch on Wink

One of my GE switches failed after a power outage so I replaced it with one of the new Inovelli switches, the base model. It’s in a 3-way config with the old GE add-on switch and functions as a switch fine.

The problem is that there are no instructions for setting it up with the Wink Hub 2 that I have. The link in the instructions went to the wrong place and I reported that on FB but still hasn’t been resolved. I’ve tried all kinds of inclusion methods with Wink with no result.

How do I add the switch in Wink?

Hey @NicksGarage – I’m trying to get some instructions up, but it’s been so long of logging into my Wink HUB that I forgot my password lol. I tried resetting it, but never got a reset email and then tried to call CS and got the ol’, “we’re experiencing a high volume of calls at this time” (yeah right).

Anyway, it should pair exactly the same as our old switches – here’s the instructions for them:

Including Steps:

• Open up your Wink app and click on the menu
  • Then click on, “Add to Wink”
  • Next, select, “Lighting” followed by, “Switches”
  • Finally, click, “Generic Z-Wave Binary Switch”
  • Then click, “Next” (where it says, “Refer to the product manual”)
  • On the, “Select HUB” screen, select your HUB of choice, followed by, “Next”
  • Keep clicking on next until you reach, “Connect Now” and press it.
  • Press the config button 3x (switch should pulse blue)
    • If successful, your device will flash GREEN and also the Wink HUB will flash GREEN
    • If your Wink HUB turns GREEN, the switch was successfully paired — if the HUB flashes RED, it was not successfully paired. In the case of RED, please check the Z-Wave range by holding down the config button for 5 seconds (it will turn GREEN – let go of the config button and if it stays GREEN it’s in range… if it turns RED, it’s not in range).
  • You should now see that your device is detected (“Switch” or “Unknown” should appear)
  • You should see your new switch on the, “Lights & Power” screen.

Alternative Method

• Click on Hubs
  • Click on Settings (the three dots in the upper right corner)
  • Click on your hub (most likely named Wink Hub)
  • Scroll down to Settings and click on Z-Wave Controls
  • Click on Inclusion Mode
  • Press the config button 3x (switch should pulse blue)
    • If successful, your device will flash GREEN and also the Wink HUB will flash GREEN
    • If your Wink HUB turns GREEN, the switch was successfully paired — if the HUB flashes RED, it was not successfully paired. In the case of RED, please check the Z-Wave range by holding down the config button for 5 seconds (it will turn GREEN – let go of the config button and if it stays GREEN it’s in range… if it turns RED, it’s not in range).
  • You should now see that your device is detected (“Switch” or “Unknown” should appear)
  • You should see your new switch on the, “Lights & Power” screen.

Let me know if that works – hopefully I can get through to Wink tomorrow…

Thanks, I’ll give it a try when I get home.

That worked!

After pushing the config button 3 times and it started pulsing blue, the Wink app started trying to add it. A few seconds later a notification from Alexa popped up that a new device named “Switch” was detected. Of course Wink spun around for a long time and finally gave up and said it was taking too long. But I already knew it found the switch because of Alexa and just had to wait for it to show up under “Lights”. This of course has been an issue with Wink for years.

The only problem I have now is after setting up the robots to link the two sets of hall lights together, there is either a delay in commanding the other set or it doesn’t happen at all. I’m sure it’s just Wink and nothing to do with the new switch.

I think I figured out my Wink Robots problem, definitely not a problem with the switch.

Nice! That’s insane that Alexa found it so fast. It’s been a while since I’ve added anything to Alexa (one of the downsides of having my house already setup) – before you had to run a refresh on her to find your devices. Does Alexa now automatically find new products? If so, that’s amazing!

Ah, the ol’, “This is taking too long” warning. That warning alone was why I had to put in the original instructions to look at the Wink HUB to see if it flashed green. So many times when I added a device, it would give me that warning, but when I exited out of the app and came back in, sure enough, there was my switch!

Whew - close one!