Setup Red Switches/Dimmers with Home Assistant & Z-Wave JS

After accidentally resetting my smartthings hub I found myself looking into zwavejs lol

wanted to chime in here, hope it helps others, and it might even have extra steps you don’t need to do (feel free to let me know)

1. In HA OS supervisor, you will need your zwave USB stick ID. Get this at Supervisor > System > … > hardware, scroll down to tty section for USB connected devices. If you are not seeing the device and are using a USB dongle on a homeassistant blue, double check the thickness of the back plate isn’t causing an issue with connectivity. Recommend a usb extension cable to move the antenna higher.
  2. Install zwavejs. Use the USB ID from step 1, and you can generate a 32 digit hexadecimal number at Random Hex Number Generator - Create Random Hex Digits - Online - Browserling Web Developer Tools
  3. zwavejs, stop the service entirely, don’t let it start up etc
  4. Supervisor > Install zwavejs2mqtt and Start the service up, this will be your server, not ‘zwavejs’. If both services run, the logs in zwavejs2mqtt will state unable to lock the file.
  5. Go to supervisor > zwavejs2mqtt > documentation tab, it will include your server id, serial port, and network key. You will need this info for the final steps.
  6. HA OS > config > integration > add zwavejs integration
  7. Uncheck the box “use the zwavejs supervisor addon” - this will keep starting the ‘zwavejs’ service back up and will break ‘zwavejs2mqtt’. It will ask you to input a server ID. Input the server ID from the zwavejs2mqtt documentation.
  8. Config > integrations > zwavejs plugin > open web ui
  9. Click on gear > Settings > zwave
  10. input the serial and key found in the “zwavejs2mqtt” documentation tab
  11. At this point the status in the upper right corner of the plugin should state connected hopefully

From here you triple tap your inovelli device, exclude it in the UI first (in my case), then triple tap the inovelli device again and add the device in the UI.

So far that’s as far as I’ve gotten, i have 9 of the devices in there, but still nothing configured or re-assigned back into HA… oof.

1 Like

HA should find the websocket on 3000 if you disable mqtt and keep websockets enabled. Then you just enable the found integration (you don’t need the supervisor server option because you are running z2m already).

I’ve been through this process so please tag me if you need assistance!

1 Like

In zjs2mqtt you should disable the MQTT and enable the websockets.

I name the devices and add a location as I add them and that info then transfers to HA.

thanks guys i appreciate the responses - i just meant i haven’t gotten to playing with them in HA yet :slight_smile:

i found them there in HA waiting for me patiently this morning :slight_smile:

I’m trying to figure out if I setup something incorrectly.

Was I supposed to toggle the Disable MQTT Gateway?

You don’t have to if you don’t want to. I don’t believe it matters if you aren’t running a MQTT server except that zwave2MQTT will log MQTT server faults. But, if you are running a MQTT server connected to HA then all the devices will appear twice in HA, once through the JS integration and once through the MQTT integration.

Hmm…sorry for the naive questions, I’m new to this all.

What’s the point of running an MQTT server?

I currently have 2 docker instances, one is HA and the other is ZwaveJS. So I don’t believe I am running my own MQTT server (although it looks like ZWaveJS may be).

All of the devices only show up once for me with my current setup

MQTT is a simply a messaging protocol or a way to tie devices together. I use it to send data to a simple display I’m running. Openzwave uses MQTT so I was using it when using OZW.

If you don’t have a MQTT server docker running then you’re not running a MQTT server. Just turn the MQTT switch on to disable it.

Doesn’t zwavejs2mqtt run it’s own mqtt server (see my screenshot in the post above)? If I disable it, wouldn’t that go away?

No, it doesn’t run a server. It connects to a server.

You would use it to integrate zwave into another program that doesn’t support zwave but supports MQTT. I know some people are using it to bring their zwave stuff into Node Red directly while using websockets to bring it into HA at the same time.

I see…the port it lists (1883) threw me off as it reads as if it creates a server on that port.

Disable MQTT if you are using websockets. It’s one or the other. Websockets doesn’t require a middle-man so that’s what I use.

1883 is the default unencrypted port for a MQTT server.

I went ahead and disabled it…will keep an eye out for any differences in behavior.

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,
First post in this thread since '21 I see!

I woke up this morning, and two dimmers have missing configuration parameters (screen shot). I have exluded/included and reinterviewed these two nodes…and nothing! Would anyone know how to fix this?

Works for me here but they aren’t right. I get parameters but the ones split into muItiple parts display wrong. It appears likely it’s a zwavejs issue. What versions are you running?

Running Z-Wave JS UI 1.14.0 Home Assistant add-on.

Some switches are ok, but now there are several with totally missing configs. I’ve got a bunch of automations that are broken now (for example, multicast won’t work anymore because these configs are missing).

There has to be a way to force update or upload these configs! This is happening on the Red Series On/Offs LZW30-SN and Red Series Dimmers LZW31-SN.

Help! Any ideas out there?

This sounds like a bug in zwavejs that was recently fixed.

1 Like