SmartThings Edge Drivers: LZW30-SN, LZW30, LZW31-SN, LZW31, LZW36, LZW41, LZW42, LZW45, LZW60, VZM31-SN, VZM35-SN, VZW31-SN, VZM36, NZW30, NZW31

I actually left “Remote Control” off of the main device page on purpose. I am worried about the average user disabling remote control and then having to reach out to support when their switch is “broken”. It can be controlled via automation as you have discovered though.

Turning remote control off in an automation with other actions will likely create a “race condition”. If remote control gets disabled first or before some of the other actions, then the other actions won’t work. For example, in the automation you have shown if the “Remote Control” action makes it to the switch first, then the other actions aren’t going to work. I’d say if you are going to turn Remote Control off it should probably be in a separate automation with a “Delay by 5 seconds” option selected.

The thing with ‘Off’ removing the ability to select other actions is kind of dumb (on SmartThings’ part). I’ll mention it to their support team, but I’d be surprised if there isn’t something already in the forums about it. I had to create separate automations. The first one turned off the device and then the next one changed the LED color.

1 Like

OK. I’m fine with you limiting these controls to automations. Although that would mean that if I needed to manually change something quickly, I would need to create a separate scene first. Kind of annoying, especially since I am getting close to my routine/scene limit.

With regard to the inability to control these devices while turning the switch ‘OFF’. I misspoke before, regarding the ability to add multiple conditions for the same object. You can add multiple IF statements for the same object, not THEN statements. As you say, it would need to be separate scenes/routines to pull it off successfully :frowning:

I edited my test scenes and they will work, but only if I don’t include “remote control”. Even having “turn on remote control” seems to not be able to have all actions run successfully. Any thoughts on this? Are you able to run these scenes successfully on your end? For instance:
1 - Turn switch to 30%
2 - Turn LED color blue
3 - Turn off Local Control
4 - Turn on Remote Control

Then you can have another scene
1 - Turn switch to 80%
2 - Turn LED color red
4 - Turn on Local Control
5 - Turn on Remote Control

Those scenes run fine for me as long as remote control is never in the “off” state.
If remote control is off then it will block all commands (except for protection commands). So changing the LED color, changing a config option, setting the level, etc. will not be executed. That is what I mean by race condition and which commands happen in order. So, if you currently have remote control turned off and you activate the first scene you have shown:

and they happen in that order, the first 2 commands will not work and then local control will be disabled and remote control will be enabled (since they are protection commands).

If they are received in a different order, some of them may complete (if “Remote Control” is received before one of the others). For example, if the switch receives the commands in this order:

1 - Turn switch to 30%
2 - Turn on Remote Control
3 - Turn LED color blue
4 - Turn off Local Control

Then the switch will not turn to 30%, but it will have its LED turn blue and enable Local Control.

Thinking about it, if you enable / disable remote control with other commands there really needs some way to ensure that execution order is observed. For example:

1 - Turn on Remote Control
delay 5 seconds
2 - Turn switch to 30%
3 - Turn LED color blue
4 - Turn off Local Control

1 - Turn switch to 80%
2 - Turn LED color red
3 - Turn on Local Control
delay 5 seconds
4 - Turn off Remote Control

Yep, I know what you are talking about. I think that the SmartThings interface needs to be changed so you can select “Turn Off” and then other actions. As of right now it has to be split into two automations. With all the capabilities out there it doesn’t make sense to block the use of other actions as there are so many possibilities and scenarios where you need to turn off the device and do something else to it.

For some reason, even with Remote Control enabled, it wouldn’t run all actions when remote control is included:
1 - Turn switch to 30%
2 - Turn LED color blue
3 - Turn off Local Control
4 - Turn on Remote Control
Did you test on a black series? Do you think it is getting overloaded?
I also don’t think you can change the order of the commands, unless you have separate automations with a delay.
Thanks again for your help!

I was testing it on the black series. Originally I was using a red, but then I switched over. All the commands are running for me. I basically setup a scene that when I double click up on a red series it performs those 4 actions on the black series. Then, another scene, when I double click down on the red series it performs the other 4 actions on the black series. Tried it back and forth over and over. Everything seems to be working and I don’t see any errors in the logs. Is it possible you have other automations that are interfering with those ones?

Glad to see Edge versions of these!

2 Likes

No. Because if I break out the scene into piecemeal, it works. I’ve always struggled with the old groovy child devices trying to do many of these actions at one time.

I don’t know if you saw, but it was just announced today that Groovy drivers will be sunset on Sept 30th.

Any progress on the other Inovelli device drivers that still need to move to Edge?

I’m working on the LZW36 right now. I will plan on adding the rest of Gen 2 devices before 9/30.

Blue series will be launching with support provided. For Gen 1 switches I believe there are SmartThings provided drivers. I need to check on that more.

2 Likes

FYI, I pushed the remote control and local control capabilities to all four switches now. I did it this morning so it should be showing up by now.

1 Like

Any luck with the 4-in-1 LZW40?

It’s the only device that I have that doesn’t have a stock driver (Samsung) or custom driver for the Edge transition.

I still have some old outdoor switch, maybe they are NZW97s? Anyway, I assume no Edge driver for these? At least not from Inovelli? Will generic Edge drivers work after Samsung switches them? Thanks.

I believe there is already an edge driver that works with it that SmartThings put out.

I’ll try to have something done by the end of September.

I’m loving these Edge drivers. I got my Red Series Dimmer up and running. My wife loves that she can still see if the garage doors are open via the notification LED. I was afraid I was gonna lose this feature when switching to the Edge drivers. Well done!

3 Likes

@EricM_Inovelli deserves some form of bonus directly paid by Smartthings for changing their entire platform coding structure.

Well done Inovelli team!

3 Likes

@EricM_Inovelli is there a public repository for the edge drivers avail in the Inovelli ST edge channel?
I would like to confirm the fingerprint of the devices I have for their support. I’m having challenges with my ST hub recognizing the Inovelli created drivers I enrolled and have loaded on my hub. Most of my switches are your Gen 2 red or black series. The hub only seems to want to assign the Samsung production drivers to the switches and is not recognizing yours so I can use the advanced features.

1 Like

Is that at joining or afterward? My understanding is that after pairing, you can swap drivers via the ‘edit’ button; however, it looks like the driver might need to include a “generic” fingerprint in order to be available to devices that don’t show up as a match.

1 Like

Currently there is not a public repository. I’ve tested the fingerprint on the production devices and they all seem to be working for me. As @MarkTr322 mentioned, can you go through and edit the device to switch the driver?

I think there is a URL you can visit to see which drivers you have installed, but I’m not sure what it is. Maybe someone here can remark.

In the app, you can open the card for the hub. 3-dot menu, Driver.

In the CLI, you can run a smartthings edge:channels:drivers

2 Likes