SmartThings Edge Drivers: LZW30-SN, LZW30, LZW31-SN, LZW31, LZW36, LZW41, LZW42, LZW45, LZW60, VZM31-SN, VZM35-SN, VZW31-SN, VZM36, NZW30, NZW31

Hi @EricM_Inovelli @MarkTr322, all your recommendations already check out. Meaning, the drivers are all loaded on the hub and I ran the CLI to confirm as well.

When I attempt to change drivers for one of my dimmers currently paired to a generic zwave ‘thing’ driver (created by another ST community member), nothing else shows in the list.

For what it is worth, I am testing on my dimmer with fingerprint 0x0003 with prod ID 0x0001. It is likely an issue with my hub so I also have ST support looking into it. I just wanted to confirm the specific driver I loaded on my hub for additional testing. @EricM_Inovelli , if you can confirm which driver relates to this fingerprinted device that would be great.

TIA

That should be the dimmer black series driver.

@EricM_Inovelli will you tag me once the LZW36 is done

1 Like

Sure.

don’t know if it’s been asked before but anyway :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

once edge drivers are officially out, will the devices be able to update the firmware via OTA?

There’s been zero mention of firmware updates thru SmartThings app under Edge on the ST forum. I doubt it’s coming.

I do ota updates on a usb stick joined as a secondary controller thru PC Controller. Works better than I could imagine a mobile app could anyway.

1 Like

You got jokes. OTA is not in SmartThings vocabulary.

I know you are just being sarcastic . . .

ST has the stated ability to OTA Zigbee. There is a setting in the hub that can be enabled to allow OTA firmware updates. That being said, I’ve never actually seen this happen. It’s also not clear how a developer gets Samsung to include their firmware into the update process.

We’re talking about Zwave devices in this thread, so the PC Controller works fine for that. But when the Zigbee devices get released, that will be another matter.

1 Like

1 Like

I think I’ve only seen this work when I had Samsung smart sensors (temp, humidity, magnetic switch, and vibe) when using ST hub (had v3 prior to Hubitat). I thought it was reserved only for Samsung brand (like 2018 era).

That may very well be. The only documentation out there, AFAIK, discusses updating of Samsung devices. And now there aren’t any . . .

1 Like

In the past there have been a few Zigbee manufacturers that have pushed firmware updates through SmartThings. It has been sparse and very controlled. There has had to be a collaboration with the SmartThings folks.

As for updates through Edge drivers, I have asked the ST developers a few times but haven’t gotten a response. It looks like there may be a process in place for Zigbee as they have a “Zigbee OTA” capability. I don’t think that is the case with Z-Wave, but I will keep asking.

4 Likes

@EricM_Inovelli three questions. 1. what is the status of the fan/light edge driver, 2. how does one verify the default firmware on a switch? Unless I have missed it in the FAQ, support or this community forum, I have looked everywhere to determine what level I am at to determine whether updating it for Smartthings is necessary or not. 3. Is there an updated PDF to download or site that confirms all the configuration settings avail on the switches? It appears inserts that are packaged with the products are out of date…Please advise when you have a moment…BTW, so far the edge drivers for the black and red series are working great!

For as long as the IDE is around and functioning (i.e. about a month) you can see the firmware there. Open the device’s page in the IDE and look at the raw description. The firmware follows the “Ver”. In the example below, the switch is on 1.22.

1 Like

The plan is to have all the edge drivers for Gen 2 devices done by the end of the month.

A few places for this kind of info. I think this is the most complete source of info:

https://community.inovelli.com/docs?topic=7306

There is also kb.inovelli.com

1 Like

Note that only gets set on initial join. If you update the firmware it will not update the value shown in the fingerprint.

That is true but only if you use the secondary controller method. If you remove the switch, flash it and then rejoin it, the firmware reflected will be accurate. So it really depends on HOW you flash your firmware.

I’m just about to test migrating to an edge driver on my first device. I have linked the Inovelli edge driver to my ST account and see them listed in my Home Hub. Is the only way to update an existing switch to use the edge driver vs the custom DTH by removing the device from the hub and adding it back? Can’t be done via the still-currently-working ST IDE, right?

Correct (AFAIK). Driver changes going forward are in the app via the 3-dot, Driver menu (which you won’t have until there is at least one edge driver).

If you wait for ST to auto-migrate, you then might be able to switch to the Inovelli driver w/o removing and rejoining. (This is just my thought, however. I have seen anything official that suggests it.)

1 Like

That’s the only way to switch it over today. If you install the Inovelli driver now, it should switch over to that driver during the migration without any intervention from you. Whichever way you do it, if you have child devices set up for notifications, expect them to disappear and need to be recreated.

I moved one Zooz device over last week; before I excluded it, I added some virtual buttons as alternate triggers in my automations so they wouldn’t be deleted, and took screenshots of the associated automations so I could rebuild them properly. I’ll do the same with my Inovelli notifications but them I’m going to wait until ST moves them for me. That way, the main switch automations should keep working without my input.

1 Like