SmartThings Edge Drivers?

So I have a bunch of switches and wanted to “beta test” the new Edge driver on just one of them…but I’m having issues. After enabling the new Edge drivers, I unpaired this switch and then attempted to re-add it… it came up with nothing but a Z-Wave Generic driver. I tried a bunch of different things but was unable to make it work / recognize the switch at all. So I ended up unpairing it and trying to add it with the old Groovy device handler… but now the system seems to think it’s installed but the switch no longer reacts to any kind of commands. I’ve factory reset it and tried again, but now all I have is a switch that turns on and off if I push the toggles, and that’s it. Help?

When I enabled drivers through some kind of website (the Red series driver now reads as “installed” and says that I can’t uninstall it because it’s in use).

So you’re are trying to have a Red Dimmer or Switch re-added with an Edge driver, right?

1 - Remove the device via the APP. Open the device in the APP. 3 dot top ritght, Edit, Remove Device. Force remove if prompted.

2 - Zwave exclude the device in the APP. Open the Hub device in the APP. 3 dot top right, Settings, Zwave Utilities, Zwave exclusion, hit the config or the Inovelli 3x. It should tell you it’s excluded.

3 - Re-add the switch and let me know what happens.

1 Like

So that didn’t work directly, but I think I figured out what happened. The old device was still hanging around on the graph API website, and the new device was actually there but wasn’t getting added to the room I was expecting it to be added to. After deleting/ excluding the device and waiting a good long while (I went to dinner), I came back and added everything successfully.

In theory I won’t have to do this for my other switches, right? ST will upgrade all of them for me automatically?

1 Like

That is what they have said. Supposedly between the 12th or 15th and the end of the year. What you may have to do is switch to the Inovelli driver from the generic driver, but that is just a matter of selecting it from the Driver menu of the device card in the app.

I understand what you mean about the device not winding up in the correct room. If you start to add the device in a room and you use the option to pick the brand, device, etc, it winds up in the same room. But if you do a Scan Nearby (I don’t use the QR, so no security), then the device will wind up in the No Room Assigned. I always rename the device as soon as it adds to make it easier to find if need be.

I’ve also seen a device supposedly removed via the app still remaining in the IDE, so that’s not unusual.

BTW, if you have to remove any others and they are the sole device in a Routine, put another device in the Routine temporarily so ST won’t remove the Routine when you remove the device.

1 Like

That is what they have said. Supposedly between the 12th or 15th and the end of the year. What you may have to do is switch to the Inovelli driver from the generic driver, but that is just a matter of selecting it from the Driver menu of the device card in the app.

Thanks! Do you know if this process will also convert my definitions in the Lighting App to Routines?

I am not sure how that will shake out. There is a new Smart Lighting app which you can play with. There is also a thread in the SmartThings community that discusses a beta migration for that app. If you find that thread, that will give you further info.

Smart Lighting (the smartapp) is being replaced by a new module, “Smart lighting” (lower case L for some reason). It’s already available in some regions, although its a bit hidden. They are working on an automigration between the existing Smart Lighting and the new “Smart lighting”, some of us have been on the beta test for that migration. All my SL automations copied from the old to the new just fine. I would expect them to start moving more people soon.

The new SmartApp is located in Automations->+ ->Create routine ->Discover tab->(Scroll down to the end) Smart lighting. Once you add one it will be added to your regular automations list in the SmartApps section.