Speed of new switches and dimmers?

Great, that’s exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks @EricM_Inovelli for the quick response!

I have a Black series dimmer switch and I certainly notice a bit of a delay when using the physical switch. I would expect it to be pretty much instant after I let go of the button (once the internals know I’m not holding to adjust brightness) since this device doesn’t support any multi-press features. Frankly, that was one of the reasons I went with the Black over Red dimmer switch.

Is there a reason why there is a delay on the Black series? A friend of mine has a cheap TP-Link On/Off WiFi switch and he said using that is absolutely instant, for example.

Yeah the manufacturer basically took the Red Series firmware and stripped out the scenes, but did not remove the delay. It was an oversight by us to be frank.

We’ll have it fixed on the next round of firmware.

2 Likes

@Eric_Inovelli please please please let the delay be configurable rather than just 0 (instant on). Also, let the delay for a hold also be configurable. A lot of us with red switches still want to have scenes. However, the way for a double tap or hold is longer than other switches that support them (e.g. the GE switches) and we’d love to reduce those waits.

3 Likes

Hi Eric,

Is there any update on the switch lag issues?

I love the stuff you’re doing with the new switches and the roadmap.

I had to remove a Red switch because the lag was noticeably too long when pressing the physical switch on. It irritated me a little but really bothered other family members. I would really love to outfit my whole house with Inovelli switches but they can’t have this lag, especially if I don’t need scene control on that switch or just minimal scene control, like just a double tap or the config button. As a temporary measure I had to install a Zooz S2 Zen 26 switch because it responds much quicker to the physical paddle. I’m waiting to buy a batch of Inovelli switches if we can get this lag issue resolved.

Thank you!

• Nate
1 Like

Hey Nate – yeah, definitively, we just launched Beta 1.19 for our On/Off switches that removed the 700ms delay and we’re working on the dimmer firmware right now.

All new switches (going into production in August) will have the ability to configure the switch to not have the 700ms delay.

Hope that helps!

3 Likes

Thanks for being so responsive to your users’ feedback. Can’t wait for the new dimmer firmware!! :slight_smile:

You’re welcome :slight_smile: – we’re all smart home owners too and want the best in our own homes, so we love getting ideas from everyone!

3 Likes

Awesome! Thank you!

Just in time to return a couple of Zooz switches and order some more Inovelli switches! Yay!

• Nate
1 Like

LOL – let me know if you need help upgrading the firmware :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wanted to follow up and see if this is a possibility going forward?

It’s a possibility as we work on alternate firmware, we’ll keep it in mind!

1 Like

Yay it works! I got two of my Inovelli Red Switches updated and tested.

Some Notes:

• Had to update twice to get the firmware to report correctly in the updater software. The first time, it didn’t seem to take.

• On the firmware update page for 1.19, probably want to mention that SmartThings users need to update the custom device handler or they won’t be able to set the instant on parameter 51. I even tried using zwave tweaker and it didn’t work. Only worked after I updated the DTH.

• Definitely prefer to have it be on when “pressed” instead of on when released. The current setting is much better than previously, So I’m generally happy. However, I have a 3.5 year old who is learning to turn lights on and off. Many of them she can just barely reach the top. I think it would be much more intuitive for her to have it turn on when she presses the button as she doesn’t know to release it till she get it to turn on. That way she knows she hit the right button. I understand there is a tradeoff on the “held” scene options. Ideally it would be configurable but if there is a default, I would vote for on when pressed.

I love the idea of having the option for the main buttons for scene control as well as the config button with instant on and off for physical presses working as fast as dumb switches… I’ve been looking for this solution for awhile! It’s an awesome combo. I thought the new GE switch had potential with their basic scene controls, but alas nobody has a very good DTH for the new GE switch for Smartthings, they don’t offer firmware updates, there are issues with their line sensing features, and many other problems. So with this firmware update, I’m super happy to be standardizing on Inovelli Red switches! Love it.

Thank you!

• Nate

@Eric_Inovelli hi Eric, any news on OTA firmware upgrades for smartthings users? I’d love to have my switches and bulbs upgraded but I’m not very fond of doing it by myself with that special sold-separately dongle.

Unfortunately I cannot say due to an NDA we have in place with ST :confused:

(Re)adding my $0.02 to this thread…

I really do appreciate having the ability to completely eliminate the 700ms delay. But the expense of all scene control is a hefty price! I would wonder if there is a way to make this a bit more adjustable? For example I find that double taps are by far the most useful scene control on any of the dimmers and switches in my home. I only have one scene triggered by a triple tap and that is easily achieved using some other means. But that double tap is extremely useful.

So perhaps there’s a drop down on the device page where it would be possible to choose the number of taps enabled for scene control vs milliseconds of delay. If absolute zero delay is most important and that particular switch/dimmer has no scene functionality needs then by all means disable all of them. But for some, like myself, double tap, triple tap, etc might be that “point too far.”

I’d also wonder if adjusting the amount of elapsed time considered as a multiple tap event could be shortened overall? I happen to find the double tap rate to be extremely “forgiving” on Inovelli switches in general.

Again my $0.02. I really like what I am seeing in the latest firmwares and the drivers on GitHub so I am eager to see whatever is next!

@Eric_Inovelli - thanks! I was just about to buy a bunch of Inovelli switches as we’re doing a major electrical remodel but the 700ms delay would be a showstopper. Should I wait until August to order to ensure I get the ones that do not have the delay? Thanks!

You’re welcome! Happy to help :slight_smile:

It’s hard to say bc there may still be old stock at Amazon, which is where we house our inventory.

What you could do is order the 10pks off our website as those will for sure have the new firmware on them as it’s a new SKU.

Hope that helps!

@Eric_Inovelli - Thanks! So it’s just firmware? So even if I get the old switches I should still be fine and just need to update the firmware?

Yes correct - the only thing that’s changing is firmware :slight_smile: