Switches Freezing Issue - Data Collection Thread

Just a follow up, Haven’t had a freeze again, Maybe the firmware or maybe the reset fixed it, but none of the switches have had an issues. I did just order some new dimmer (May the 4th be with you sale) so I’ll let you know if they cause any issues when I add them to the network.

1 Like

LZW30-SN - Newly installed switch 1x lockup resolved w/airgap.

ST v2

Installed the switch and noticed it locked up about 5 minutes later.

Controlling under cabinet xenon lights . . 100 W??

Will keep an eye on it.

Hey @Eric_Inovelli

Update on the issues…

So I received my new dimmers and switch. I installed the two dimmers and the first one I included I updated the firmware before doing anything else. The second I installed and did not update the firmware. I also had all other switches in my house updated. Everything worked great and then the new switch that I didn’t update the firmware froze. I pulled the gap and then updated the firmware and everything is ok right now. I’m thinking this is the old firmware that is causing the issue. I’ll give it a few days to see if any others freeze now that I added 2 new dimmers.

Been a little over a week and I can say that none of my switches are giving me a problem. The new firmware I think solved the freezing issues I had. Thanks!

1 Like
  • What Product(s) are you using: several LZW31-SN though I only have experienced the lockup issue with one of them (and continue to experience it)
  • What Hub/Gateway are you using: Hubitat
  • What Load are you controlling: in this troublesome case it is a few dumb LED, total wattage on that circuit is 32W, I did try swapping to halogen to see if that had any effect but I still managed to experience a lockup
  • Are you controlling a Smart Bulb: no smart bulbs here

A few other details that might be relevant:

• there is a neutral present
  • I initially thought that the problem was the config button interference issue but I doubt that at this point
  • first experience with the issue was running firmware 1.41, after updating to firmware version 1.43 the issue persists
  • air gap reset fixes the issue every time

Now to the new clue experienced this morning — after this most recent occurrence I thought to check the Hubitat driver and logs before performing the air gap reset. What I found was the parameter “Disable Local Control” had been switched to “yes.” Performing an air gap reset does fix the issue and restores this parameter back to “no” as it was originally set by Hubitat. If the issue occurs again I will check this to see if it repeats.

@Eric_Inovelli

I am still having this problem, and when one of my switches locks up, automations from the hubs stop working. I reset the airgap switch on the affected switch (after figuring out which one it is) and all the previously locked automations all run in order. I have also found that I can cause the issue, if I play with setting one of the dimmer’s percentage too quickly in the SmartThings app. I think this is a logjam issue. It seems to happen when I disarm and arm the house too quickly. Like a z-wave command to turn off a switch comes too quickly after a command to turn on a switch. Then it never gets reported and the switch locks up. Then the rest of the scene and all subsequent automations are locked until I reset the airgap. It also seems to happen more frequently when I add the second hub. I think the jam starts with an errant status report from the switch.

I was PM’ing someone about this, but the dialog stopped.

Have you guys identified the issue yet? Do we have a way forward for fixing this?

Thanks,
Josh

Update to this thread — I can confirm that the issue still is ongoing for me. Recently it only seems to effect one dimmer in my home though I have seen the issue in every red series dimmer I own at one point or another. More details:

• as I described in post 12
  • the issue does seem to associate with the switch somehow disabling local control and it is possible to confirm this by checking the Hubitat device page
  • airgap resetting is a 100% reliable way to return the switch to normal operation

Hey all – just posted an update – this is top priority for us right now as we are working towards mass production on a second batch of switches and would like to figure out what’s happening.

1 Like

Hello @Eric_Inovelli

So today I just had a black series switch just stop working. I thought it was a freeze issue and was getting ready to post, but I figured out it was just dead. Nothing would revive it, I even killed the breaker for an hour and still nothing. Luckily I had a replacement one I haven’t put in yet so I swapped it out. Not sure if this is something related to the freeze issues I was having, but I thought I would post just to be sure. How do I go about returning for a replacement?

@Eric_Inovelli - found this thread after I just purchased my first two Inovelli black switches for my SmartThings home setup. I just had both lock up in the same evening, likely the same time but not confirmed. This is the second time it’s happened to both switches. What is the current status? Are replacement switches being sent to affected customers or are you still diagnosing?

Great question and sorry for the issues. Right now we have a couple people using Zniffers (they monitor Z-Wave traffic) to see if we can capture some data. What I could do if it’s too much of a PITA, is send out replacements to see if it’s a switch issue or something on the network causing this?

I don’t mind zsniffers. LZW31. SmartThings v2 hub. I’ve IMd you directly

Did you message me or @EricM_Inovelli? I didn’t see any messages :frowning:

Yes. Added @Eric_Inovelli account just now in a response just in case. .

I’ll have to respond via Courtney – for some reason it’s not coming to my email. There should be a way to add someone (not via tagging, but actually via a button at the bottom). Either way, I’ll work via Courtney if you can’t find it as she sits in the office next to me.

Wow not sure how I missed this thread, but have had this plague throughout my 1.45 switches (none of the 1.44 and prior).

I am updating to 1.47 today for the 1.45’s to see if it corrects the issue.

More than happy to help.

ST V3, LSZ31-SN’s and a few LZW36’s (but they are not freezing).

Updates!

I have updated all my LZW31-SN dimmers to 1.47 (both targets, updated via PC Controller). So far since updating to 1.47 I have experienced zero freezes (along with many other improvements). It has been three days since updating and we’ve been home with the dimmers around the home receiving plenty of use! This seems like a solid update in this area.

The one LZW30-SN switch that I own has been running 1.19 for over a week now. Yesterday I had one freeze and then again it froze this morning. Unfortunately my Zniffer was down at the time so I do not have the ZWave logs to report. However what I can report is that in both freeze-ups the switch was on then suddenly the load turned off, all physical and ZWave control was blocked/non-responsive, and the LED indicator light remained on at 100% as it it has been set to do in preferences when the load is on. Normally the indicator LED would have switched off at this time since the load was off. This is installed with a neutral and the load is only 32W. Hubitat logs show nothing unusual or surprising though the logs do stop when the switch froze (not even routine power/energy reports)

I’ll get the Zniffer up and running again today to see if I can catch something in the act.

I think I posted this one in an older thread. Lots going on I see.
My LZW30-SN (purchased thru Amazon in Jan) has locked up and been unresponsive occasionally and an air gap fixes it most of the time(previous versions of firmware). My issue now is the LED is frozen(V1.17&V1.19). No matter what I do I can only get an LED upon initial setting, air gap and reset, after that the LED freezes and doesn’t respond. See post below for info:
LZW30 -SN No LED Control
Currently I am running-
ST V3, LZW31-SN(x2), LZW30SN(Trouble switch), LZW36-SN
Zooz ZST10 ZUSB and PC Controller V5.39(latest) for Firmware flashing/Network maintenance

EDIT: Figured out the LED issue, seems fine now since with latest firmware.

I’m getting a freeze each month at the moment (across 7 switches/dimmers), the most recent was the second time for this specific LZW31-SN dimmer. It’s enough to be highly annoying, but not enough to easily debug.

• What type of bulb do you have connected to the switch (LED, CFL, Halogen, etc)? LED
  • What is the approximate Load Wattage? ~62.6W
  • Bonus Points: Make/Model of your bulb(s)? Feit, LED BR30 65W replacement
  • Switch Setup (ie: Single-Pole, 3-Way, 4-Way, etc)? Single-Pole
  • AC Power Type: Neutral or Non-Neutral Setup? Neutral
  • Controlled by Vera Secure

According to Vera the version is: