UPDATE: Dimmer Switches Update Thread - Production Starts Oct. 4th!

Same here, initial preorder 2/3/19 for a dozen but no email (second dozen pre-oredered in April). I don’t need anything but wondering about the process about who is receiving emails vs who is not?

Check your spam folder - I’m glad I just read this thread again and see that the notifications were sent out, I found it in my spam folder.

Hi. I have a few questions regarding 3-way configuration with neutral at remote location:

• Can we use an Inovelli dimmer as the aux/remote switch?
    • A Black Series dimmer as remote with a Red Series dimmer?
  • How about a Inovelli switch as the remote?
    • I had read that it might still be possible to use it to dim as well?

I have 5 Leviton’s installed (and a couple not yet installed) but I am very tempted to remove them and install Inovelli everywhere. Even though I would hate the idea of mis-matched switches:

• GE/Homeseer aux switches are supported (presumably same device/operate the same): Do we know if the Leviton remote dimmer would work and support dimming?

Thanks so much,
…Donovan
Halifax, Canada

You can sign up for bypass switches here: https://forms.zohopublic.com/inovelli/form/BugTracker/formperma/5QjE7BE23lhlz6UHMfYzyh3mNwa057K6Sn-UBWiugRM

Sorry, I’m a little unclear at this question (it’s been a crazy morning, so apologies) – the bypass will only need to be used if under 25W in a non-neutral setting so I think the question would be what is the minimum load, correct? Again, sorry if I misinterpreted.

I read through their manual and it doesn’t say anything about a max load: Aeotec Bypass Manual

In theory, yes (also, we’ve tried it and it works, however, there are some sacrifices that come along with it).

• If you use two smart dimmers, you can certainly associate them together (depending on the Hub you have) and dim up, down and send scene commands from the Red to the Black Series.
  • However, the dim level on the bars are not synchronized, which would be annoying. We’re working on this logic for V2, but due to the fact that this already took forever, we didn’t want to add this to V1.

So, how you’d set this up is the following:

Hopefully that makes sense? Essentially, you’re disconnecting the 3-Way, and making one of the switches control the load and then the other switch will talk directly to the switch that’s connected to the load.

Can you clarify here? I guess I’m confused how both questions aren’t the same? Sorry, again, long morning and my brain is already fried!

Can you send me the make/model and I’ll test it out?

Thanks again for reaching out and welcome to the forum!

1 Like

UPDATE POSTED!

Dimmers have cleared customs and are en route to our HQ. Should be here tomorrow (Tues Nov 5th).

10 Likes

@Eric_Inovelli, can’t freaking wait! You’re the man! Good work Inovelli!!

Thanks Eric. I’m just wondering if it makes sense to always use one.

Looking forward to it. I know how production delays can go and really appreciate the updates. Eagerly watching Amazon as I still need to place my order.

I’m sure you are sick of answering delivery questions, but at least you’re in the home stretch now! Reading back, I’m still a little confused on when they should be hitting Amazon. Are these that just cleared customs for preorders only or are some headed to Amazon?

@MarkH - This batch will go to fulfilling partial of the pre-orders. Eric was able to get the manufacturer to deliver a partial amount to get these rolling out. The next batch (due before 10 NOV) will finish filling up the pre-orders and then go to Amazon for online purchases (and to trigger Canada Amazon).

Very helpful diagram, thank you! To clarify, is that firmware v2 or hardware v2? I’m assuming you mean the firmware and have taken note what you’ve said elsewhere about the difficulty in updating firmware on each switch if not supported by hub (I switched to Home Assistant from SmartThings six months ago).

Given the excitement around your new product, that’s completely understandable.

To rephrase: Could you use an Inovelli non-dimming switch as the 3-way/remote switch with the dimmer? I imagine through the same method you illustrated above regarding z-wave association.

Additionally, I had read that it might be possible that the Inovelli non-dimming switch could also be used to adjust the dim level? (though obviously no dimming bar indicator)?

The only reason I asked this was because a) I have a few of these and b) I was under the mistaken impression that you could not adjust the dimming level with the GE/Homeseer Aux switches. I would probably ask around versus actually buying it to test as I suspect the Leviton is proprietary in order to have the dimming level reflected in the LEDs on the dimming remote. https://www.leviton.com/en/products/dd00r-dlz

Thanks so much and congratulations: you’re almost there!
…Donovan

@LongDono - Have you seen the dimming action with Aux switch?

@harjms Thanks! I believe I did but must have been focusing on the non-neutral/relay-off side of things and not paying attention to the (now obvious) display of the aux switches providing dimmer control. Until I Googled earlier this evening, I had always thought they didn’t provide dimming control, which is why I had gone with Leviton (also the Leviton show LEDs for brightness on both switches).

If we could use the Inovelli non-dimming switches as aux/remotes, the LED colors could be made to match, making it even more seamless for the picky types, and a bit more cost effective vs dimmer, where the dimming hardware would not even be used.

1 Like

Oh yeah!!!

Team is boxing these up as we speak!

16 Likes

Congrats @Eric_Inovelli and team. Looking forward to amazon availability next week!

Is there a link to the Hubitat device handlers for the new dimmers? In searching the site, I see a page for SmartThings, but not Hubitat.

Good morning! Eric M just wrapped them up last night and I’ll be posting them shortly as well as updating the site :slight_smile:

Stay tuned!

EDIT: Here’s the Handlers and Drivers. I’m also going to start a new thread that has all the links to handlers/drivers, etc.

SmartThings Device Handler - LZW31 (Black Series)
SmartThings Device Handler - LZW31-SN (Red Series)

Hubitat Device Driver - LZW31 (Black Series)
Hubitat Device Driver - LZW31-SN (Red Series)

1 Like

@EricM_Inovelli may I ask why in homeseer it works without having those kind of handler?

If it’s general then is there missing function with homeseer?

What’s the difference between the other hub requiring handler VS homeseer that don’t

Thank you!

YES!!! So excited to get these!!

I would say that Homeseer does a more proper z-wave “interrogation” during inclusion where it reads the devices command classes and command class versions. It communicates with the device based on the interrogation. Since Z-wave is a standard, the controller knows how to communicate with the device based on the interrogation and therefore doesn’t need a special “driver” installed.

Some hubs like SmartThings and Hubitat, don’t really operate off of this interrogation and need a “driver” to define how the device functions.

1 Like