Use case for disabling local control

My daughter likes to stay up late at night and read and I guess she was annoyed that her light was turning off. So she came up with her own solution to automatically turn it back on. I guess this would be a great use case for disabling local control so she can’t turn it back on!

You could program a scene so that when it was pressed, it would change colors/effects, but that would negate the whole point of turning the light off.

1 Like

Wait, is there no way to do this via a parameter remotely? Dang, I was going to schedule/automate this. Is that something that could be added later into the firmware?

I can change local control remotely in SmartThings, but I don’t see a parameter for it in the parameter list of the 2-1’s.

Bummer, I use Home Assistant.

You should have a select entity in Home Assistant for it created automatically. Something like select.living_room_lights_local_protection_state

2 Likes

This is because on the z-wave switches at least, “protection” is a built-in part of the Z-Wave protocol, with its own dedicated command class. Most of the other advanced things inovelli has done they’ve implemented with the “configuration” command class, which lets you define the parameters however you want.

I’m struggling to think of a single case where something is possible on some other platform that’s impossible on Home Assistant. HA has some drawbacks, but feature completeness is not one of them.