Use the community to help with development

Open source hardware tend to get a much longer lifespan, and better quality overall. It would be so nice if Inovelli was innovative enough to make firmware for its devices opensource, so community could help with development and coming up with crazy new features.

Also, we really need to get OpenZwave OTA Firmware Update feature implemented, but this is something that community should do.

1 Like

Yes, this is definitely on our roadmap and what we envision as well. Below is what is in our Business Strategy PPT that we show investors:

The reason we haven’t thus far is bc our manufacturer has a, “misunderstanding” around who owns the source code. We’re trying to clear that up and/or re-build from scratch.

But, we’re definitely in the same space as you and we believe in our community so much!

3 Likes

Wow, that is too cool! I am glad you are taking this route! :slight_smile: Looking ahead to see your custom firmware available on github :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m actually really excited for this to take off – I remember the days when I’d flash a custom ROM on my Android phone and it was so cool to watch your phone become, “cool” lol.

1 Like

Did @EricM_Inovelli have to recover it after you bricked it?

3 Likes

Yes, this was him picking up his phone at the time.

2 Likes

Hi all, I just wanted to add a little incentive and use case here. I need a solution to control my soon-to-be multicolor LED pool light. Communication to most of these lights (Jandy, Hayward, and Pentair) is done by pulsing the AC power to them on and off a certain number of times with certain timing. It seems that the timing is sensitive to around 1 second, which does not seem easily achievable from the SmartThings side. I would really appreciate being able to modify the firmware to manage this color change protocol from within the Inovelli switch.

Extra Details

Jandy actually makes different models of their pool LED fixture that adhere to other manufacturer’s control protocol (series-h for Hayward emulation, series-p for Pentair,…) so you can see all of the manufacturer’s color modes/inputs from within this one document:

I appreciate the work that is being done at Inovelli.

All the best,

Craig

Does SmartThings not let you use delay/wait commands to space out your commands to do this through automation?

I could see conceivably doing this through NodeRed tied back to it and inserting delay commands between on/off…but I think that would end up pretty slow depending on how many colors you’re going through?

ST will let you set delays in Routines. The minimum is 1 second, at least in the UI. Not sure how accurately it plays out as I’ve never tried it.

If it were me, I’d do it in webCore, at least until Groovy is deprecated.

1 Like

@chack and @Bry, exactly. You can add delays, but it doesn’t seem like I can make a device change on/off state faster than at a 1 second interval, which means it could take about 28 sec to complete some color change actions. Also, it seems as though the task is randomly descheduled during runtime, which can add multiple seconds of timing uncertainty. Do note, I am still an ST and webCoRE noob.

Not totally following the logic in the piston, but I’d try it this way.

Start by testing if you can get webCore to turn the switch on and off a number of times within short intervals. Disregard the variables for now. For simplicity, I’d stack the on, off, on, etc without a wait just to see if it works changing the color. Then if need be, add a wait in between each.

If that works, then figure out how to set a variable to get to the proper color by setting a specific set of on offs.

I’m suggesting this because manipulating the variable may take longer than simply turning the switch on and off.

Then again, it just may not work fast enough, but the instructions you posted state you get up to 3 second intervals.

EDIT: I just tested a piston with a 2 second on/off delay and it worked.

1 Like