Vzm31-sn inconsistent light bulb turn on and turn off at low light levels

I recently purchased a vzm31-sn for all over my house. For the most part the installed switches are working, one particular room has led bulbs. If I turn the light on to say 9%, the light wont turn on. But if I jump to 30% and then back to 9% it will turn on.

Today, I was doing some additional experiments, and using the above method the light started randomly dimming at 9-10% of brightness and then turning back on.

I tried switching bulbs and it doesn’t seem like that’s the issue. Any suggestions on how to make this work?

I’m using SmartThings as my hub, but all automations are run through Home Assistant. (This works fine on another similar type switch)

Set your Min P9 to 1. Then slowly walk the % illumination down a percent or 2 at a time. When you get the point that the bulb(s) turn off, set the Min a few % above that. That will provide a pseudo range so that 1% will still ensure the bulb(s) turn on.

1 Like

That doesn’t really work with LED. Many LED bulbs will stay on at a lower dimmed level if they are already on, but they won’t turn-on at that dimmed level.

A quick-start parameter is planned for future releases to fix this issue.

2 Likes

Well, more properly, it doesn’t work as well with LEDs as it does with other bulbs. But as a short-term fix for the OP, the idea is to make sure his switch turns on at a level that will ensure the bulb turns on. I understand that it may not be the dimmest level, but at this point, it’s better than nothing.

Generally, I found I have to leave the lights off for a bit then turn them on to test the minimum level.

Also, make sure the dimmer is in trailing edge, trailing edge can often dim further compared to leading edge.